Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2021, 16:55   #91
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Monopoly marina ownership makes disabled veteran homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJA View Post
A company called “safe harbors” has bought virtually every marina in the State of Rhode Island.
A quick Google search shows about 20 marinas in Rhode Island, six of which are owned by Safe Harbor. So in point of fact, they don't own "virtually every marina in the state." Not even close.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 19:37   #92
AJA

Boat: Irwin 37' CCKetch (1974)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
A quick Google search shows about 20 marinas in Rhode Island, six of which are owned by Safe Harbor. So in point of fact, they don't own "virtually every marina in the state." Not even close.
20 marinas in Narragansett bay!!!! NOT EVEN CLOSE. Maybe if you lived in Newport with friends from Providence to Block Island you’ld have an idea of what’s going on here. Even Payne’s wharf on the Block has been bought out. Google ain’t the Bible.
AJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 19:48   #93
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJA View Post
Even Payne’s wharf on the Block has been bought out.
Maybe you should check the Safe Harbor website before you go telling people what marinas they've bought or not.

https://shmarinas.com/locations/
Old 20-07-2021, 06:50   #94

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstarcapt View Post
Nope. Who said low cost? The live-aboard fee alone is $150/month. $80 electricity and $13.50/ft. Then the boat payment. Not talking about the cost. Talking about arbitrary rules and owning the majority of slip spaces in the region. There's no competition to keep them from destroying the middle income boating community.
No competition? Seriously now, isn't that the idea? Have the same problem in Florida. Contracts change every year you re-new. Nobody cares about your ability to pay. Just that you can, and to be sure someone else will as soon as you leave.
Want to change that do you? Float a few million to you representitive ....
see what happens.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 07:00   #95

Pure supply and demand guys. If there is a high demand (always is for slips) and low supply (again always true) then the seller can set any rules they like. If you don't want the slip, 5 others do. Sad but that's reality.
EngineerRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 07:23   #96
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstarcapt View Post
Nope. Who said low cost? The live-aboard fee alone is $150/month. $80 electricity and $13.50/ft.
A prime waterfront location for about $800/month rent? That's as "low cost" as it gets.

The bottom line is that the marina (any marina) is not obligated to provide you with a place to live, much less a cheap one.
Old 21-07-2021, 17:08   #97

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
A quick Google search shows about 20 marinas in Rhode Island, six of which are owned by Safe Harbor.
Actually, it’s 8 but counting to 8 has always been pretty easy for most of us.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 18:54   #98

Boat: Tartan 3800

I observe that Gulfstarcapt, our OP, made his drive-by posting a week ago. Aside from two replies the same day has been absent from the thread and indeed from the forum.

Most curious.
Old 21-07-2021, 19:50   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
It's not an outright buy but a sizable down payment. What we really need to be successful is a beamy boat lift for cats.
Maybe. I have a beamy Cat and I much prefer trailer haul outs.
ixnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 20:03   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerRetired View Post
Pure supply and demand guys. If there is a high demand (always is for slips) and low supply (again always true) then the seller can set any rules they like. If you don't want the slip, 5 others do. Sad but that's reality.
Maybe it's sad but maybe it's just capitalism at work. I'm also in the airplane biz and FBO's, the airplane equivalent of marinas have been consolidating for a while. Strangely enough, someone noticed that customers who aren't trying to skate on every tiny expense were frustrated by waiting for customer service. So FBO's were gobbled up and prettied up and the prices went up and the red carpets went out and the investors are very, very happy. Go figure.
ixnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 05:12   #101

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixnax View Post
...Strangely enough, someone noticed that customers who aren't trying to skate on every tiny expense were frustrated by waiting for customer service. So FBO's were gobbled up and prettied up and the prices went up and the red carpets went out and the investors are very, very happy. Go figure.
So, it's those pesky middle-class customers to blame. If they'd only become filthy rich, money would be no issue, and we wouldn't have to have these discussions.

Unfortunately, I think your analogy to the private airplane biz is quite appropriate. Pretty soon, if you can't afford a private jet you won't be able to afford a recreational boat, either.

Much has been written about the shrinking middle class and economic inequality. I have no opinions or solutions, nor is this the place to discuss it. I can only observe. I don't have to like it, but that's the way things are going right now.

Boating has changed. There are still day-trippers, and folks who go to resort marinas for the red-carpet treatment. But that whole middle segment of cruisers who like to gunkhole around, anchor some nights and stay in marinas on others, is getting priced out of the market.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 06:43   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoreFun View Post
Interesting, so which party do you regularly vote for?

One party wants to let businesses do what they want and the other is trying to keep the interests of the people in mind.

Keep in mind the biggest threat to your hard earned cash is not spending and taxation by the gov. It is lack of regulation and monopolies that can take larger portions of your free money. Last time I check you freedom is tightly tied with how much excess cash you have on hand. If corporations had their way they would take as much cash as they could out of your pocket while reducing your wages. Historically that is what all major companies try to do.

BTW, places like marinas and trailer parks are considered cash cows. Someone I knew owned 2 of them and he lived very well. They also are a faster tax write off then buildings (trailer parks, I dont know about marinas). So they are good tax write offs and they make extra cash. FWIW, Sun Industries pays a good dividend.

Keep in mind all the pet Dr's offices are being bought out by 2 companies who also want you to buy pet insurance. They have been jacking prices. Same goes for eye wear and eye Dr offices. The key is to be able to get everyone in a subscription so you are constantly giving them money.

Notice the current administation is going to make it so you will be able to goto thrid parties to fix your boat engines. Currently some require you to go to the dealer and use their computers and their parts. Where the previous administation was allowing companies to increase their monopolies and prices you pay for stuff.

Anyway things to consider when you vote.
When Govt .continues to raise taxes and over-regulate it becomes very difficult for business owners to continue to operate. The family-owned marina is no longer able to handle the massive regulations restrictions and demands of the many many agencies empowered by state and federal government, likewise, it limits new buyers to the corporate investors that hire management to operate according to the corporate policy dictated by a group of lawyers. No longer can the manager make an exception for an individual based on common sense. So yes I agree, be careful what you vote for, but no, I don't agree that higher taxes and more regulation and individual restrictions are beneficial to us as free and independent citizens. Big govt. taxing, restricting, and regulating benefits the corporate world.
In response to your example of (pet Dr. offices) Or veterinarians as I would call them is vet care cheaper in the United States or in Mexico? Yes, same as human health care, big Govt. restrictions and agency overreach leads to a corporate world only cooperations can survive in. So think before you decide to vote your rights freedoms away
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 07:31   #103
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaangus View Post
The family-owned marina is no longer able to handle the massive regulations restrictions and demands of the many many agencies empowered by state and federal government...
Precisely which onerous "regulations, restrictions and demands" are you referring to? Because I earn my living in marinas and I don't see them. I suspect that if the small, family-owned marina goes away, it is because the value of the land the marina is situated upon is too great to leave undeveloped for other purposes. The family therefore cashes out and who can blame them? I can think of examples on both coasts where this has happened within the last couple of years.
Old 22-07-2021, 07:37   #104

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Waterfront land isn't just some commodity that anyone can buy and use as they see fit. For most communities with waterfront, they recognize it as a community benefit and responsibility- recreation, tourism, management, preservation. The community often exerts some control over what can and should be done, in the form of zoning regulations, development guidelines and other means.

So, communities can have some say in how marinas are run. Eg if it's run-down, or creates a problem from drinking, partying, derelict boats... or on the other end, ceases to be useful or affordable for the community, kicks out long-term law-abiding liveaboards (hint, hint)....
In many cases, it is local zoning laws that prohibit "liveaboards" at marinas.

And local communities cannot control the fees marinas charge their tenants.
Old 22-07-2021, 10:39   #105

Quote:
Precisely which onerous "regulations, restrictions and demands" are you referring to? Because I earn my living in marinas and I don't see them. I suspect that if the small, family-owned marina goes away, it is because the value of the land the marina is situated upon is too great to leave undeveloped for other purposes. The family therefore cashes out and who can blame them? I can think of examples on both coasts where this has happened within the last couple of years.

Completely agree, seen it myself first hand.
EngineerRetired is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ownership