Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2021, 10:40   #106

Re: Monopoly marina ownership makes disabled veteran homeless

One more time, economics 101. Short supply, high demand. Guess what the outcome is? Try finding open slips anywhere on the eastern seaboard right now.
EngineerRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 14:26   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerRetired View Post
One more time, economics 101. Short supply, high demand. Guess what the outcome is? Try finding open slips anywhere on the eastern seaboard right now.

Agreed. There's no right, wrong or like it or not component to the mere observation of a trending reality. Anyone moaning about how the trend isn't accommodating their current economic situation should prepare to be fork stabbed and dipped in the hot sauce. No one serious will invest in yesterday's business models and a hundred grand is no money in 2021. In real estate it's all about the neighborhood. On land if a developer doesn't like the looks of some of the neighborhood houses or their effect on local property values it's a complicated problem. In a marina it's just a matter of slow turning a few screws, raising the temperature and voila, another slip opens for a better paying customer.
ixnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 15:04   #108

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Precisely which onerous "regulations, restrictions and demands" are you referring to?

marina management is buried in regulatory burden from RCRA, the CWA, liability complexities, water management requirements, USCG rules, multiple state and local jurisdictional requirements, maintenance of nav aids and a host of other burdens you likely never heard of. Cleaning boats in marinas is a whole world away from the reality of running, owning or managing one. The property taxes alone would choke you.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 15:40   #109

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Financial adviser, hsell no. Been a suit and then owned a business which I floated a loan for the property. Just speaking from limited experience. My wife has an LLC just so suing us is limited to that piece of properties worth, as I said a protect your ass loop hole.
I've been through the Okeechobee ditch, but those areas aren't conducive to 30 live aboard investors unless they are mosquitoes.
As PS. I could not be more pleased with the lock tenders.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 18:53   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
marina management is buried in regulatory burden from RCRA, the CWA, liability complexities, water management requirements, USCG rules, multiple state and local jurisdictional requirements, maintenance of nav aids and a host of other burdens you likely never heard of. Cleaning boats in marinas is a whole world away from the reality of running, owning or managing one. The property taxes alone would choke you.
...which is why holding companies are snapping them up.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 21:16   #111
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
marina management is buried in regulatory burden blah, blah, blah.
You missed the point of course, but that's not at all surprising.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 05:01   #112
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixnax View Post
Maybe. I have a beamy Cat and I much prefer trailer haul outs.
See, restrictions already! You just can't make everyone happy. I got a feeling that these marinas already know this. Thanks for killin my dream,
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 05:22   #113
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Funny, I remember the threads on this forum where many were upset with what they felt were less than what they personally considered sailable boats, called them derelicts, hazards, eyesores, and wondered why they can't keep them in the shape they thought was appropriate, and many said that they should be removed. It was said if they don't have the money to keep their boat in the shape that they thought proper and were not willing to pay the constant increase's in insurances ought not to be in this sport. A very few pointed out to be careful what lesser group you go after because the next time it just might be you that people look at as the lesser group. This is a VERY EXPENSIVE hobby, the marina industry knows it and will cater to those with deeper wallets and will meet those customers demands. Unfortunately, for a whole lot of sailor's that is exactly what many of these larger marinas think. Kinda reminds me of the West Marine thread "You want HOW much for four bronze screws?"
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 06:31   #114

Quote:
You missed the point of course, but that's not at all surprising.
Obfuscation noted. You asked “precisely which regulations...?”

I answered.

Thats the “point” -you had no clue and I attempted to enlighten. A futile gesture...
Old 23-07-2021, 06:57   #115
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thats the “point” -you had no clue and I attempted to enlighten. A futile gesture...
I have a good understanding of the regulatory burden with which marinas must deal. These are not new issues suddenly causing mom-and-pop marinas to get out of the business however, as inferred by the post that we are discussing.

Condescension noted, BTW.
Old 23-07-2021, 07:14   #116

Quote:
I have a good understanding of the regulatory burden with which marinas must deal. .
If that was true, you wouldn’t have asked someone to describe what they are.

In addition to the myriad I described, permitting and licensing compliance and dredging regs are also overly burdensome. The list is almost endless yet you implied you don’t know about any by asking for someone to list them.

There are obvious obfuscations and there are obviously transparent obfuscations - are you entered in the contest to win both?
Old 23-07-2021, 07:26   #117
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If that was true, you wouldn’t have asked someone to describe what they are.

In addition to the myriad I described, permitting and licensing compliance and dredging regs are also overly burdensome. The list is almost endless yet you implied you don’t know about any by asking for someone to list them.

There are obvious obfuscations and there are obviously transparent obfuscations - are you entered in the contest to win both?
Yes, there are a lot of hoops a marina must jump through in order to be able to do business. You aren't imparting any new information by repeating that fact over and over. We get it. What I was asking him was to describe the apparently new regulations are causing small marinas to suddenly sell out/go out of business now, which is the theme of this part of the thread. Not sure what it is about that you don't understand.
Old 23-07-2021, 07:32   #118

Quote:
In addition to the myriad I described, permitting and licensing compliance and dredging regs are also overly burdensome. The list is almost endless...

If the regs were so burdensome as to make marina operation unprofitable, big companies wouldn't be snapping them up. With the obvious exception being that the bigger companies have the legal clout to make their regulatory paths easier.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 07:34   #119

Quote:
Yes, there are a lot of hoops a marina must jump through in order to be able to do business. You aren't imparting any new information by repeating that fact over and over. We get it. What I was asking him was to describe the apparently new regulations are causing small marinas to suddenly sell out/go out of business now, which is the theme of this part of the thread. Not sure what it is about that you don't understand.
Never was the context about “new” regulatory impediments
Old 23-07-2021, 07:36   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
If the regs were so burdensome as to make marina operation unprofitable, big companies wouldn't be snapping them up. With the obvious exception being that the bigger companies have the legal clout to make their regulatory paths easier.
Not an issue of profitability - just complexity

Tags
ownership