Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2012, 13:00   #1

Boat: Seafarer 34'
Send a message via Skype™ to KelleyG
Memory Foam Mattress Questions

Hi All -

I've been reading a lot of threads where everyone recommends buying a standard size memory foam mattress from Walmart/Costco/Amazon and cutting it to size with an electric knife. I have full plans on going this route, but had a few questions that I was hoping someone may have experience with.

We're in the process of refitting one of our berths and converting it to be a futon bed like set up. With this we can use a regular size mattress (Full) to sleep on and fold it up to a couch when we're not using it to sleep.

1. I know that memory foam can be easily folded and will regain its full shape, but is there any long term damage from keeping it bent about half the time? Will the foam break down more quickly this way?

2. Does anyone have experience cutting a hinge into the mattress for easy access under the mattress? How have you covered these? Looking for the DIY route, not bringing it to a canvas shop.

3. I've read that a lot of people don't recommend putting a sunbrella fabric cover on the mattress as it will make it much more uncomfortable. What fabric(s) do people recommend using as a mattress cover to keep it protected?

Thanks!
KelleyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 13:17   #2

Boat: Moody 42
Re: Memory Foam Mattress Questions

I wouldn't think memory foam mattress will work very well in your application. Folding would not work well, although you could cut two pieces and cover them separately and have them sewn together at the top so you could fold. I have an inter spring in the v beth made that way.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 15:14   #3

Boat: Currently boatless

We went the route you are going but I don't have experiece with 1 and 2. We cut the cushion into 4 pieces so it could be removed in sections for access. We used plain velour-type cloth in a medium-thickness for our cushion covers. Not fancy, not marine or upholstery and my sister-in-law sewed them with zippers for us.. It has only been installed for 1.5 years now but we are full time traveling/living aboard and it looks like new. We have hypervent under the cushions so we didn't worry about anything hard core for protection underneath.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 15:24   #4

+1 on the HyperVent!

We don't have experience with your exact application; however, we used traditional foam cushions topped with a less-expensive 1-1/2 inch thick memory foam topper. This folds easily. If we ruined it by folding it's cheap enough to replace, but we've lived aboard fulltime cruising with it and it seems fine 4 years out.
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 15:33   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

If I were going to use a futon as a bed and a couch I would not use memory foam as the primary mattress. I would use a good quality futon mattress and then have a memory foam toper to throw on top when used as a mattress. You can buy the 4inch topper from Wal-mart reasonable. You can then put it into a vaccum bag when not in use to protect it and keep it small.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 15:40   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

All memory foam seems like a wasted expense. Many, like ourselves, use a firm 4-6" foam with a 1" memory foam on top. Much varies with individual preference.
Old 26-12-2012, 15:41   #7

I doubt folding it will hurt the memory foam.... the darn things are packed all folded up into a small cube when you buy them!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 16:03   #8

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

We went with the 2" memory foam topper over the factory bed. Works perfectly
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 04:51   #9

I would recommend to use memory foam mattress as its have some of the greatest flexibility also its easy to fold but it may require up to 24hrs to regain its full shape.
For Mattress cover you can use Dust Mite Allergy Mattress Covers.Allergy mattress covers will trap 99.95% of all the allergens from dust mites, animal dander and pollen. Stops bed bugs too!
Merry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 05:39   #10

Boat: '88 Passport 41' Magic Moments

We have used the standard foam for 20 years and the best (in our situation) is only good for 3-4 yrs. The last we layered with 2 density levels and a 2" memory foam topper...not much better.

We plan to go with the full memory foam from Costco. We will cut a queen lengthwise and at a 45 degree bevel for easy removal in two sections from the V berth. We will custom sew a zippered cover for each of the two sections and use the 2" topper, fully zipper encased over that. I have high hopes of finally getting a good nights sleep.
A
Dynamo1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 06:18   #11

Boat: Pilgrim 40
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik

I have tried memory foam twice ........ never again. I do not understand why everyone else raves about it - how is it that I am the only one who had trouble with it?
Both of mine were like me (they suffered from memory loss!) If I rolled over in the night, I left a deep cavity behind, which did not fill in, then I would keep falling back into the hole. Rather uncomfortable.
I prefer a good thick medium to hard density foam. I can see that a one or two inch layer of memory foam on top might not do any harm, but what is the point?
On the other hand, if you have had good experience with the stuff, keep on keepin' on! It's just not for me.
Old 27-12-2012, 10:40   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Memory foam mattresses only have 2-3 inches of memory foam on the top. The other layers are regular foam of varying densities. If you already have a foam mattress, and add a "topper", you have the same thing that Costco or others sell.

We love ours. Yes, when you roll over, there is a temporary "hole". But it fills in.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 10:47   #13

I also dislike memory foam because I find it sleeps hot. All the worse as you sink into an airless depression.

I think a 2" topper is the way to go. Either latex (with ventilating holes) or a good quality egg crate conventional foam. You can cut these with standard scissors.

The bottom layer of foam lasts a long time under a topper.

The best change we made was putting something springy under the mattress like the Froli. We use a wooden slat system that Ikea sells and cut the slats to fit the bed (we also had to remove the outer frame). The slats are connected by webbing so it rolls up for access under the berth. You can adjust the firmness of the slats to make them firmer under your hips. My wife and I both agree we sleep better on the boat than at home - although only part of that may be the mattress.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20125971/

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 15:00   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We use a common lightly quilted cotton mattress cover over the top of our memory foam layer and find no discomfort from the nature of the foam being a harsh sleeping surface.
Old 27-12-2012, 18:30   #15

Everyone is different, of course, but we bought a memory foam mattress for our home and after a year of misery, threw it out and bought a conventional mattress. It was a very expensive, failed experiment. I subsequently found that all the other people I knew who had bought them over the years and also abandoned them. At least around here, it's illegal to sell a used mattress, so once you sleep on it, you own it.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote