Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 08:11   #31

Re: Maintenance Costs Boat verses RV Cruising

A boat is essentially an island that needs all the systems an island would have. Once you leave harbor you are on your own.
An RV can pull over to the side of the road to check things out if there is a problem, so there are lots more places to stop than with a boat.
I have done lots of both, depends on if you want to look at dirt or water. To have the scenic perspective from the water looking towards the land or from the land looking towards water (or more dirt).
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:31   #32

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I too am looking into the RV world as a way to compliment our pattern of 1/2-cruising here in Atlantic Canada. As with our boat, my sense is to get the smallest RV I (we) can live with, that will do the things we want to do. Just not sure what that is yet.

I’ve been looking at camper vans and smaller class C types. But I’m not sure how to balance small size with necessary tankage and storage to allow long-term boondocking.

It seems to me that just like with cruising, the key to keeping costs down are to go slow, and stay out of marinas/RV parks.
This is probably the smallest you can go

Very cheap on fuel!
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:47   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
This is probably the smallest you can go
Yeah… that’s probably a bit too small, even for me .
Old 09-06-2019, 11:15   #34

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Definitely considering a Westfalia. Just not sure if it’s big enough to sustain say weeks off the grid. Whaddya think? How long could you boondock in a Westie? Two adults with modest needs?

Definitely seems true that boondocking (outside of Walmart parking lots) is very hard to find along the eastern US. Canada offers some areas up through Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Heck, in Newfoundland I’m sure you could pull off anywhere outside the small urban areas. There are vast areas of Crown Land through Canada, although again, most of it is away from urban areas.

In the USA, there are free or pretty cheap (~$5-$10/day) boondocking areas in Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas. These are the ones I know of from my motorcycle trip. There’s probably a lot more. Along the west coast I found areas to camp out on the beach (Oregon mainly). Same along the Texas Gulf coast.

Definitely not as easy as finding a free anchorage, but still seems possible if you’re willing to leave the eastern USA.

Yes do a Westie!! Easy maintenance, decent mileage, nice to wild camp in a city, amazing off road.... We saw so many huge converted trucks made into rvs near Syria for example... They couldn't go into towns cause the roads were too tight! With the pop up, a sunbrella awning making outdoor space, it's tons of room for 2 or in our case 3.... You go slow, but people love them and there is a huge support network. Hard working little beasts, put on some Creedence and live your best life right there 😉
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 17:24   #35

I have done both. More sailing in the northern Islands for a dozen summers and 10 years cruising the Carribean.
Three types of land vehicles from a van to a motorhome and finally a 5th wheel with a Ford diesel truck. A year at a time.

You will see more in a RV in Europe and all of the Americas.
Class C in EU. where boondocking is all mapped out in France and others.
Travel only short distances per month. Ua and Canadian State/Federal parks are not expensive.

No hurricanes...LOL
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 17:46   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Price a Westie, I have as Its really the only vehicle that I really would like to have again.
They are like Airstreams, meaning they have a following and are priced so.
The ones I have found that appeared to be rust free and in good shape with original interior were about $40K.
You can do a lot better, for a lot less, unless your really after a Westie.

Later model Westies go for a lot less.

I think but am not sure that there were Westfalias that weren't on a VW bus chassis, I think they were an aftermarket vehicle customizer
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 17:56   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Mine was a 71, the best year I think as it was the first year of the dual port engine and not so much Smog gear.
Back then they were a lot like camping, no stove, the sink held I think 5 gls of water and a manual pump of course, there was an electrical plug on the left side that connected to a couple of sockets inside, no stove or toilet. It had an "Ice Box" under the sink. Interior was all heavy 3/4" veneer plywood, strong and will last forever, but heavy.

You learned to climb a steep incline in reverse as it was a lower gear than 1st.

Heater unless you had the optional gas heater wasn't much.

I loved mine, loved how it drove, loved the "florida " crank open windows and screens, no air conditioning of course, no power anything. Really was a very comfortable seating position, you sat up with pedals sort of under you as opposed to sitting low with pedals in front of you.

I think its really close to tent camping, just off the ground and secure, and dry too in a rain.

I keep thinking one day I'll pay the price and buy another one.

We had matching orange 71 super bug and camper
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 18:17   #38

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras1544 View Post
For those looking at RVing full time there is another option open to consider. That option is "Camp Host." Several of the Army Corps of Engineers camp grounds that I stay at have them. Mostly retired people, they watch over the place and stay for free. There is an application form to fill out. Several that I've spoken with really enjoy it.
That is a good comment. At least out here in the West, there are many opportunities for "Camp Hosts". The Corps of Engineers is only one. The state and county campgrounds around here all have camp hosts. Many Park Service, Forest Service and BLM campgrounds do as well. Even fish hatcheries and wildlife refuges have camp hosts. Lots of opportunities, add some interest to your RV experience, and saves some money.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 20:41   #39

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Boat maintenance/repair/upgrades are my big budget killers really. For those that have done both how do the long term RV and Boat maintenance/repair costs compare?

I'm years away and just wondering.
IMHO this is an unfair comparison.

Many cruisers are repairing/upgrading vessels that are 25 - 30+ years old.

I suspect there are not many daily use RV's on the road are more than 15 years old.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:27   #40
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
IMHO this is an unfair comparison.

Many cruisers are repairing/upgrading vessels that are 25 - 30+ years old.

I suspect there are not many daily use RV's on the road are more than 15 years old.
I don't understand why it is "unfair". The costs are the costs.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:08   #41

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
I have done both. More sailing in the northern Islands for a dozen summers and 10 years cruising the Carribean.
Three types of land vehicles from a van to a motorhome and finally a 5th wheel with a Ford diesel truck. A year at a time.

You will see more in a RV in Europe and all of the Americas.
Class C in EU. where boondocking is all mapped out in France and others.
Travel only short distances per month. Ua and Canadian State/Federal parks are not expensive.

No hurricanes...LOL

A little thread drift, but not too much. I have a question. It sounds like you have been around Europe with an RV. Class C?

Was that a European class C? Or an American style class C?

I’m asking because I am thinking about taking my American truck camper over. Diesel pick up truck, manual transmission, 13 foot tall clearance required, and about 21 feet long. Is that going to be a problem in Europe? Too big? 10 miles per gallon going to kill me on fuel cost? Would it be cheaper to just get an Airbnb for a year than to do all of that?

I truly enjoy cruising the USA and Canada in this type of set up. It is just right for this continent. But I keep reading that there might be problems trying to see Europe using the same RV. Both in terms of fuel cost and the size of the vehicle.

Also, I prefer to Boondock at all times. I have a generator and solar, 50 gallons fresh water. and this thing is self-sufficient for weeks on end.

I have got everything running just right with this RV. And the truck. Spent a lot of time fixing things and now everything is good. Of course, the voltage conversion and what not would have to be made. Not a big deal. We do it on boats all the time. And then there is the matter of the cassette toilets versus the American black water dump. Of course, I have the black water dump set up.

Any opinions on this? Could I get away with this in Europe? I may have to sell my boats. And this is an alternate travel plan I have been thinking about.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:26   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Everyone talks of boondocking, but I'm telling you that in the South East US and I suspect most of the US except for Nevada etc. where there is a lot of BLM land, Boondocking is hard to do.
On the ICW, except I guess for Ga now, there are many, many anchorages, just pull over and anchor.
you don't just pull over on I-75 and boondock.
Often the few times we did boondock it likely wasn't legal to do so, just we were out of sight, and didn't stay long at all, and no one called.
In both cases...built up urban areas are more limited but if you do a little research there are typically free places to park/anchor.

As you get to more remote places, it's easier to find free places to park/anchor.

Those places won't match up in many cases but hardly surprising.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:33   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
A little thread drift, but not too much. I have a question. It sounds like you have been around Europe with an RV. Class C?

Was that a European class C? Or an American style class C?

I’m asking because I am thinking about taking my American truck camper over. Diesel pick up truck, manual transmission, 13 foot tall clearance required, and about 21 feet long. Is that going to be a problem in Europe? Too big? 10 miles per gallon going to kill me on fuel cost? Would it be cheaper to just get an Airbnb for a year than to do all of that?

I truly enjoy cruising the USA and Canada in this type of set up. It is just right for this continent. But I keep reading that there might be problems trying to see Europe using the same RV. Both in terms of fuel cost and the size of the vehicle.

Also, I prefer to Boondock at all times. I have a generator and solar, 50 gallons fresh water. and this thing is self-sufficient for weeks on end.

I have got everything running just right with this RV. And the truck. Spent a lot of time fixing things and now everything is good. Of course, the voltage conversion and what not would have to be made. Not a big deal. We do it on boats all the time. And then there is the matter of the cassette toilets versus the American black water dump. Of course, I have the black water dump set up.

Any opinions on this? Could I get away with this in Europe? I may have to sell my boats. And this is an alternate travel plan I have been thinking about.
Truck camper will be fine in Europe. Most European RV's don't have slides and many of the sites are too small for big slides.

You will be about the same size and many of the class C motorhomes.
- You likely won't get as good of MPG but unless you are trying to cover lots of miles in a short time, it's not a big issue.
- You need to get adapters for propane as they use different bottle types and adapters.
- Cassette toilets are most common. If you have a standard holding tank, get one of the sewage pump systems as the standard gravity drains you see in the USA aren't common.

Parts and repairs might be a bit of a hassle as they won't have full size pickup parts on hand...Don't have a Dodge myself but the Dodge half tons are the most common full size pickups we've seen in europe by a wide margin (not common but much more so than 10yr ago).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:57   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Maintenance Costs Boat verses RV Cruising

Back in the 80's early 90's there were quite a few folks brought their Winnebago's across, did the Europe thing then sold them (lots in Spain) before heading back home.
Back then you could pick up one in good nick for around 1.5million pesatas.. £9000 more or less.
If a Winni can do it you should be fine.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:03   #45

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Responding to Boat Man and Valhalla...

It is a dodge ram Cummins diesel pick up truck. It’s 3/4 ton and heavily modified to carry the load.

The way I have used it in the United States and Canada is to sometimes just pay to park in the middle of a city. For instance, in Toronto, I just paid $20 each 24 hours to park the thing in the very center of the city. Then I can walk to everything or take the metro/subway around Toronto. Becomes like you have a small apartment in the city you are visiting. It fits in one standard parking space. With a bit of an overhang. I’m hoping I will be able to do the same things in Paris, Barcelona, Milan, Zurich, places like that. Or at least do the same in a very nearby suburb of those cities so that we can go explore the city with a short train or bus ride.

We wouldn’t be doing too much nature stuff. Because there is plenty of that available in North America. To me, traveling around the world to see another set of trees is not that interesting. LOL however, seeing the different cultures and food and people is more interesting to us.

Do you think I would be able to get in close to some urban areas and small interesting towns up on the top of mountains and stuff?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, maintenance