Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 05:24   #106
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Looky Loos and What to Do About Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
To keep them off your boat, go to a feed store and buy a fence charger and wire. Install and link to metal rails and lines, warn people you like, and keep the dock and stairs watered down for a good ground.
Just like a cow, eventually they'll figure it out.

started to type reasons, but really
Old 19-04-2016, 17:43   #107

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Quote:
To keep them off your boat, go to a feed store and buy a fence charger and wire. Install and link to metal rails and lines, warn people you like, and keep the dock and stairs watered down for a good ground.
I'm thinking that may eat up your zinks rather quickly.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 18:46   #108

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
It wouldn't work on my boat because all exterior metal is tied together to the ground plane. I would have to string a separate bare wire insulated from the stanchions. Done that way the startle factor would be very powerful. The actual shock is not dangerous. With a healthy heart a human can grab hold of an electric fence wire with one hand and it is not comfortable but doesn't knock you on your butt either. If you touch it with your finger so all the current is going through one small spot it hurts big time.

Properly insulated it shouldn't effect your zinks. The electrical potential is there but until touched there is no circuit or current. If someone climbed on your boat and touched it I have a high level of confidence that the circuit would only be completed for a VERY short time.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 20:12   #109

Boat: Custom 30

I was taking a nice afternoon nap one day last year, and just as I was falling asleep someone started beating on the hull. Not knocking, but beating.

I hit the deck thinking emergency, and startled the intruder. It turns out he had no idea there might be persons actually on the boat. He was trying to scare some mullet taking shelter under my keel to avoid his net. The sign prohibiting fishing and disturbing boaters was directly in front of my boat.

I have a collection of pictures on my phone of people fishing next to the sign that says no fishing. I have a tackle box full of free gear found tangled in the rig and docklines.

Our current location has gated docks and none of this. The answer is to move to a marina with locked gates. No worries about theft either.

It's not elitist, just practical.
Custom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 20:45   #110

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
Sorry MarcStAug, I don't find your suggestion either humorous or helpful.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sorry, and not trying to start a big debate either, but i'm having a hard time understanding the responce and I also don't find it humerous in the least. I find it very matter of fact. At 2am if i find you on my boat, uninvited, i am not calling the police, but a revolver is crazy. The rounds will penetrate deeper and travel farther than you anticipate. Also, your ability to hit a target on a rocking boat would be very difficult without a LOT of training and real world experience. A Short barrel pump shotgun will more easily remove the threat with the least amount of deep damage to your boat and adjacent property or personnel. A suppressor is also helpful.
Bleach, always keep bleach on your boat. It cleans more than fruits and vegetables. A little in your water tanks keeps the water free of creepy crawlies.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 17:34   #111

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I like this sign better than the other one.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 21:58   #112

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Just a remainder about those "I'm shooting first, then asking questions" signs and such. In most countries such a sign could be counted as "an illegal threat" or similar and as a reason for legal acts..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 04:00   #113

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Just a remainder about those "I'm shooting first, then asking questions" signs and such. In most countries such a sign could be counted as "an illegal thread" or similar and as a reason for legal acts..
therad = threat - Spellcheck strikes again.

If that be the case in which countries would a simple sign that is "mostly" meant to be a joke cause such an uproar?

Dang is the whole world full of liberal panty waist crybaby's?
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 04:32   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
therad = threat - Spellcheck strikes again.

If that be the case in which countries would a simple sign that is "mostly" meant to be a joke cause such an uproar?

Dang is the whole world full of liberal panty waist crybaby's?
Mods are going to correct that ;-)
Not just crybaby's, some might take such a threat personally and if having a bad day may even challenge.. I know personally some who could and certainly having their own "piece" with. So better think twice anyway if out of the US.

Most places a simple "no trespassing' or 'private' is sufficient. Here a broom across the boarding ladder does the trick.

BR Teddy
Old 21-04-2016, 05:42   #115

Boat: Camano Troll

The original post was about people coming onto your boat to look around, not people trying to steal things off the boat.

Cursing at them, walking around naked and/or pointing guns at them won't stop this, another group will be looking tomorrow. Besides, most of us aren't on our boats and awake 24/7. Signs advertising gun ownership won't do much either, these people are just curious and are a little lacking in good judgment.

Back to the top, a sign or signs declaring that the boat is private property or a private home in addition to roping off any boarding ladder or entrance are the best ways to remind the public that it is not acceptable to board your boat to look around.

Realize that some people may board your boat anyway. Drunks, homeless people and couples with lust on their mind. It depends on the location and if it's a problem you might have to take stronger measures or move your boat.

Thieves are another matter but they are not what this thread was about.

Put up signs and block the entrances. Be nice but firm.
Old 21-04-2016, 05:46   #116

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom30 View Post
...........Our current location has gated docks and none of this. The answer is to move to a marina with locked gates. No worries about theft either............
Ours does also. People don't close the gates when they leave so it's pointless. There's also a way around the gate through the bushes. And of course, nearly any marina can be approached by boat by someone with trouble on his/her mind.
Old 21-04-2016, 05:55   #117
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Just a remainder about those "I'm shooting first, then asking questions" signs and such. In most countries such a sign could be counted as "an illegal thread" or similar and as a reason for legal acts..

BS. Back it up with some citations please. I think you sucked this from your thumb

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 05:58   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm thinking nobody is taking the guns signs seriously, comments on keeping belach aboard etc. I took it as an attempt at a joke.
I stay in a Marina with locked gates, I want it that way, it's hard enough to keep the general public out of the bathrooms, I don't want them on my dock
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 08:04   #119

Boat: Vagabond 14

Keep Off!
Trespassers will be violated
Survivors will be shot.

If they come on... pull out a paintball gun and splatter em.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 08:18   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
BS. Back it up with some citations please. I think you sucked this from your thumb
Finnish law

"Laiton uhkaus
Mikäli henkilö nostaa aseen toista vastaan tai muulla tavoin uhkaa toista rikoksella sellaisissa olosuhteissa, että uhatulla on perusteltu syy omasta tai toisen puolesta pelätä henkilökohtaisen turvallisuuden tai omaisuuden olevan vakavassa vaarassa, katsotaan hänen syyllistyvän laittomaan uhkaukseen. Laittomasta uhkauksesta tuomitaan sakkoa tai vankeutta enintään kaksi vuotta.

Virallinen syyttäjä ei saa nostaa syytettä laittomasta uhkauksesta, ellei asianomistaja ilmoita sitä syytteeseen pantavaksi tai ellei laittoman uhkauksen tai pakottamisen tekemiseen ole käytetty hengenvaarallista välinettä taikka ellei erittäin tärkeä yleinen etu vaadi syytteen nostamista."

Dunno how to use google translate, maybe someone.. Pretty much the same in most European countries.

BR Teddy