Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2016, 07:59   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Looky Loos and What to Do About Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post
You have a beautiful boat, that you keep beautiful, in part becuase you want people to see? How well you take care of your boat? How big it is? etc....

? Don't tell me that you yourself maintain your boat properly because of what other might think? Seriously?

I don't know about the OP but we have a nice boat and we keep it the way we do entirely for US (and the boat) not anyone else. We love how it looks and performs. It is entirely because we love the aesthetic of sailing a pre-WWII cruising boat.

We do not care about someone else seeing it nor their thoughts about size or condition--though I must admit it is hard to hear people criticize the boat or us (when they say they'd never varnish so much wood or make presumption about our income etc) since I don't think any of us has the right to criticize the chosen lifestyle of another person.

IMO People board the boat for either nefarious reasons or because they haven't a clue (or do not care) about the property rights of others. In some places the nice clueless people outnumber the rude or dodgy ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-03-2016, 08:14   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I've had a CCW permit since they were issued in Nevada in the 80's. In CA all you need to worry about is that your magazine won't hold more than 10! Always left my 17 and 30 mag capacity hidden away, particularly for my AR 15... Phil
Don't know about CA but here in FL a CCW lets you carry concealed not openly.

If you brandish your weapon or even if it "prints through" your clothing you are breaking the law.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 08:22   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

FWIW, Mark's been around the block. So have you. Big deal.

Please stop being so offensive.
In addition to Mark's cruising credentials he never seems to miss an opportunity to criticize or ridicule America's gun rights and the Second Amendment.

As an American, I find that offensive although I wouldn't shoot him over it, I think.
Old 31-03-2016, 08:24   #79

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Don't know about CA but here in FL a CCW lets you carry concealed not openly.

If you brandish your weapon or even if it "prints through" your clothing you are breaking the law.
Another reason to avoid Florida IMHO
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 08:40   #80

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

OP here.

We'll, this topic has been interesting. Kind of run the gamut of everything guaranteed to piss people off. Fun reading though.

For clarity's sake;

I'm proud of my boat. It's one of 2 built. It's been neglected for over a decade (maybe 2) so she ain't so pretty as she will be someday.

I'm happy with admiring folks - 90 percent of them just wandered in touring and since it's the commercial dock, little gate security and most of the big honking fishing boats are empty and great photo ops. Hell, my Facebook page is full of all the big guys around me, I'm an East Coaster so home port names like Ketchikan and Darwin still give me a thrill.

What troubles/disturbs me are the 10% we all have been discussing and then the indignant attitude when told to go away - like I've insulted them. I realize now that I've had some time to think that this 10% is probably stupid in the rest of their lives too and I will try to shrug it off.

As a temporary measure we put an old dock cart blocking the entrance to our finger pier and that seems to have done the trick for 3 days or so. I just went to take a photo and post it, but it's gone, since they're as rare as hen's teeth and somebody grabbed it for it's intended use. I'll do something like that I think.

Thanks all -
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 09:08   #81

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
In addition to Mark's cruising credentials he never seems to miss an opportunity to criticize or ridicule America's gun rights and the Second Amendment.

As an American, I find that offensive although I wouldn't shoot him over it, I think.
Dude, you must be offended by the entire rest of the world then
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 09:18   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
OP here.

We'll, this topic has been interesting. Kind of run the gamut of everything guaranteed to piss people off. Fun reading though.

For clarity's sake;

I'm proud of my boat. It's one of 2 built. It's been neglected for over a decade (maybe 2) so she ain't so pretty as she will be someday.

I'm happy with admiring folks - 90 percent of them just wandered in touring and since it's the commercial dock, little gate security and most of the big honking fishing boats are empty and great photo ops. Hell, my Facebook page is full of all the big guys around me, I'm an East Coaster so home port names like Ketchikan and Darwin still give me a thrill.

What troubles/disturbs me are the 10% we all have been discussing and then the indignant attitude when told to go away - like I've insulted them. I realize now that I've had some time to think that this 10% is probably stupid in the rest of their lives too and I will try to shrug it off.

As a temporary measure we put an old dock cart blocking the entrance to our finger pier and that seems to have done the trick for 3 days or so. I just went to take a photo and post it, but it's gone, since they're as rare as hen's teeth and somebody grabbed it for it's intended use. I'll do something like that I think.

Thanks all -
Im a little surprised this is such a problem. And clearly, reading some of the responses it's a clear and present problem to some. Mine is nothing special, and now I have a new paint job im getting a little more attention when I come to the dock. Which i find a bit flattering. Though, on the weekend when i was trying to get some work done, i got a bit annoyed at the constant visitors wanting to chat

But the actual 'boarding' i'm starting to think is a change in the psych of people, becoming less inhibited by expected protocols. The couple getting married are an indication of that in that they seemed to know they should not be on board and quickly left when realising someone was present. Personally, ive never known of someone climbing on board a boat here just to look. Thieves yes, occasionally, but not innocent lookers. It's just not done here.
Old 31-03-2016, 09:18   #83
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Looky Loos and What to Do About Them

Redhead-if you are permitted to block your finger pier that's great and the easy thing that won't disappear might be a sawhorse. We almost constructed a freestanding gate for our end tie when we were at a marina for a lengthy period. Then we remembered the plastic sawhorses we carry (leftover from big projects aboard but still handy)....

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-03-2016, 09:20   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Dude, you must be offended by the entire rest of the world then
Apparently you missed the little smiley with flowers at the end of my post?

As for the rest of the world, they follow their laws and we follow ours. I am glad that I live here.

OK, Dude?
Old 31-03-2016, 09:27   #85

Quote:
Apparently you missed the little smiley with flowers at the end of my post?

As for the rest of the world, they follow their laws and we follow ours. I am glad that I live here.

OK, Dude?
Dude lighten up. I didnt 'miss' them at all. I was just playing with ya. Which is why I used them too.

Chill man, chill sorry if i offended you again
Old 31-03-2016, 09:27   #86
CLOD

Boat: none

Some of you I believe are really confused. You don't seem to understand who you are dealing with. These people feel entitled to do what THEY want and since in normal polite society they get away with it they continue to do it. Probably the best you can hope for is posting a sign, which weeds out those that are just plain too stupid to understand they don't have the right to come onto your boat. But for for the others no passive actions are stopping them.
Old 06-04-2016, 20:50   #87

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter

Just thinking out loud here...

Has anybody tried casting off with them on board? You know, go anchor somewhere for a few days.... Not your problem how they might get back...
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:34   #88

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post
Just thinking out loud here...

Has anybody tried casting off with them on board? You know, go anchor somewhere for a few days.... Not your problem how they might get back...
Kidnapping or Stowaway...

Speaking of stowaways anybody ever have one? Or does this require its own thread?
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:51   #89

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
Kidnapping or Stowaway...

Speaking of stowaways anybody ever have one? Or does this require its own thread?
Interesting question, doubt it's kidnapping if the boarded out of their own free will and if they are free to leave when ever they want (swimming is an option).
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 19:06   #90

Boat: TBD

Maybe one of these? - found on Amazon.com ...