Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2024, 09:24   #1

Question Living on a mud/drying berth? Keel type?

Hi all,

Complete newbie here (the kind who's yet to set foot on a boat!) and aspiring liveaboard, hoping someone here can answer my question - likely the first of many, so I apologise in advance if they seem foolish as I've no prior knowledge of sailing (doing my best but there's a lot to learn).

I don't currently have a boat and am in the research/planning phase, considering what model/design would be most appropriate for me. The residential marina I'm looking at only has tidal mud berths available, and from what I understand, a bilge/twin keel allows a boat to remain stable when it dries out. I wondered how this applies to liveaboards - for example, moving around on the boat when it's dried out. Do people actually live on yachts on mud berths, or is it not a done thing because of the stress on the keel roots/ other reasons?

I took a walk around a local marina and saw several boats with wooden 'legs' attached to the sides to keep them upright, so I'm also wondering if there are any other keel types that would be all right on a mud berth long term (4 months or more).

I'm based in the UK and definitely want to cross the English Channel once I've had enough sailing experience. Actually the ambition is to cruise up the Seine to Paris, so really I'd like to know if all that can be done with a bilge keel: live on a mud berth for several months, cross the Channel, then cruise up the Seine. Is it possible, or should I be looking at other keel types?

Any advice/ info would be great.

Thanks,
Merle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	legs.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	288089  
conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 02:26   #2
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran
Re: Living on a mud/drying berth? Keel type?

Living on a boat in a mud berth should not be a problem at all. Helps if you are on a pontoon with water and electric.
Bilge keels would be fine for what you want to do and yes you can walk around in the boat when dried out especially in a mud berth which is generally soft.
Also have the advantage of shallow draught and you can dry out on sandy beaches etc.
A fin keel will sail better but the bilge/twin keel will do what you want.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 05:58   #3

Boat: Allied 42 XL2

Unrelated to mud, but if traveling up the Seine to Paris, you will need to have a very short mast or the ability to lower it; many low bridges. Take a look at the height of the long boats that cruise the river.
crosswire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 05:58   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It depends on the mud berth! I have sat in the mud in places where you absolutely could not walk safely on the mud if you had to get to shore (South Carolina). The mud was like quick sand--you could sink in and never get out again. OTOH, in the same area if tied to a dock that dried at low tide it was not a huge problem as long as your boat is designed to take the bottom.
Old 27-03-2024, 12:24   #5

Bilge keel is definitely the best underbody for your purpose. Bilge keels are designed for this. Any movement will be absolutely minimal. You could even keep potted plants! Why not stroll down to some of the boats currently on the mud and ask their owners how they get on. You could also ask about shore access, water, electricity, parking etc.
M
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 13:57   #6

Boat: sailboat

Howdy Merle,

Welcome to the club of "ain't been there or done that, but I'm gonna try!"

The first lesson you need to learn is called: Local Knowledge. I've met sailors from all over the world and, with few exceptions, they are the most welcoming and helpful people, even power boaters, including the rich ones, are usually friendly and helpful. That marina picture you posted, or wherever your option to live is, ... go there and meet everyone on the docks (take good snacks and beer to prolong conversations) and you will have all your questions answered. Remember, these people might be your neighbors soon. And someday you might be helping the next "aspiring" boater.

My $0.02 about the keel - most places I've lived have been too shallow for boats over 5' of draft - only consider boats with fully encapsulated keels and full skeg-hung rudders, or boats with bilge keels.
Kello is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel