Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2023, 17:34   #1

Boat: 1972 Columbia 36 refit
Liveaboards in Delaware and the Upper Chesapeake

Seeking options for marinas that allow live liveaboards in Delaware or the Upper Chesapeake starting this coming Spring. I would like to cruise and briefly visit a number of marinas but also have an identified home base that would gladly support someone who wanted to stay docked for a while, including through the colder parts of the year if needed.

There are a couple of helpful threads that mention places in Delaware, Baltimore, and the Chesapeake area, but they may be dated. Given word that there are ongoing changes in what marinas allow I am hunting for the most recent info.

Thanks for your help.
alc02three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2023, 08:10   #2

Re: Liveaboards in Delaware and the Upper Chesapeake

the old ladies ,know it alls, and think they are high class, will beat you up on this one.
outbound 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 18:18   #3

Boat: Moody 34

I’m doing the same thing. I found Holiday Hill Marina in Mayo which caters to liveaboards and a friend told me about Town Point Marina, near Deale.

My problem is my charts are showing that they’re both really shallow. (Star Fire draws 5’) All the people I’ve talked to are telling me that I should be fine. I don’t know who to trust and I’m not too keen on the ‘**** around and find out’ method when it comes to my boat.

I’ve got a bolt on keel and I don’t want to put too much stress on the bolt or the grid. I’m a bit stressed, at the moment.
Star Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 18:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound 123 View Post
the old ladies ,know it alls, and think they are high class, will beat you up on this one.
They do tend to know it all! This might be the best sailing advice I’ve ever been given. They’ve definitely seen it all!

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2024, 05:31   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by alc02three View Post
Seeking options for marinas that allow live liveaboards in Delaware or the Upper Chesapeake starting this coming Spring. I would like to cruise and briefly visit a number of marinas but also have an identified home base that would gladly support someone who wanted to stay docked for a while, including through the colder parts of the year if needed.

There are a couple of helpful threads that mention places in Delaware, Baltimore, and the Chesapeake area, but they may be dated. Given word that there are ongoing changes in what marinas allow I am hunting for the most recent info.

Thanks for your help.
Hartge Yacht Harbor in Galesville (south of Annapolis on the West River) has some liveaboards. I don't know their current policy, though...

I think Herrington Harbor North in Deale, and/or sister marina Shipwright Harbor, has some liveaboards...

-Chris
Old 08-02-2024, 06:03   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Havre De Grace was always one of our favorites.
Old 08-02-2024, 07:48   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We lived aboard in Delaware City Marina. Has its advantages in terms of living in a small town with bus routes to major shopping. The Owner tells us he no longer allows live aboards, but he has made an exemption for us as returning visitors. I would ask him about how long you can stay and then take it from there. I suspect it would work out.

Next South is Summit North on the C&D canal. A bigger marina, good depth, more marina stuff but you kinda really need a car here. This is an exceptionally well protected marina.

We have also had an extended stay in Cambridge, Md. Again you are right inside a small town. It is quite a large marina and depth is no issue. Lots of marine services here. You would enjoy but not need a car. We would do this again. The marina is less well protected than some but I see no sign of damage.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 08:27   #8

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

Check out George Town Yacht Basin in Maryland on the Sassafras River. We spent several years there during the boom times of the early 2000's (long waiting lists to get a slip or mooring). I hear that business is down considerably and they are very accommodating now. Its a very nice location. Eastern Shore of MD.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 14:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
Hartge Yacht Harbor in Galesville (south of Annapolis on the West River) has some liveaboards. I don't know their current policy, though...

I think Herrington Harbor North in Deale, and/or sister marina Shipwright Harbor, has some liveaboards...

-Chris
I was just at shipwright and Harrington north, yesterday and shipwrite has all their liveaboards slips full, didn’t want me. And Herrington Harbor North told me they are seasonal rentals only. Same with Herrington south.
Old 08-02-2024, 14:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post

-Chris
I was just at shipwright and Harrington north, yesterday and shipwrite has all their liveaboards slips full, didn’t want me. And Herrington Harbor North told me they are seasonal rentals only. Same with Herrington south.

Try Point Point Marina in Deale. A friend of my pointed me at them. I just haven’t called them so I can’t confirm.

Tags
liveaboard