Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2015, 07:23   #61
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Liveaboard's

As my kids indoctrination at public high school teaches them daily.
* you have no right to judge.
* there is no real right or wrong.
* if you criticize someone it's due to your white privileged.
and the topper with a cherry on top....
* the schools don't have new books, enough toilet paper in the bathrooms, there is trash on campus, and the homeless are homeless, because your deadbeat parents won't pay their fair share in taxes and vote for more school bonds.

My kids just laugh out loud and then I get a call to the principals office where I laugh out loud myself, they see where my kids get it from and they stop calling me...
The rains over....gotta go take down my high class brown tarp....damn leaky-teaky anyway....it's affecting my image in the anchorage!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 07:24   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Most states and councils within countries I would imagine impose taxes and rates for services supplied to your land.But surely it's still yours in 1 st world countries.
In Aus we do pay a land tax but it is only on land property over I think over $600K
most residential land would be far less than that so most do not pay.We all pay rates for sewer,water connections etc but who cares that life.
Or are you guys sort of revolting or complaining about the big brother thing?
Chris

I live on 100 acres in South Georgia in a house on that land.
My wife saves $500 a month out of her paycheck, every month to pay the property taxes.
If we don't pay them "their" $500 a month, they will take the land and house and sell it, and there is nothing at all you can do about that either.
If I give it to my kids, they would have to come up with the $500 a month to keep it. Ever heard of a White Elephant?

This is a large part of my desire to sell the house and land and cruise. You can call it revolting or complaining, but it is, what it is.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 07:34   #63
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You can call it revolting or complaining, but it is, what it is.
I call it the Feudal Lord State of America, we just switched out the King, nobles and knights for the President, Congress, and NSA. How much longer before they started declaring the rights of "Prima Norte".

You must be one of those evil 1%-ers!
Silence you surf, go back to the fields and toil away for W-2 wages and pay your Obamacare taxes, just don't try to go to the Dr to use that insurance, surprise, no Docs in you town will take it...ha ha ha
Old 24-02-2015, 07:36   #64

Quote:
I live on 100 acres in South Georgia in a house on that land.
My wife saves $500 a month out of her paycheck, every month to pay the property taxes.
If we don't pay them "their" $500 a month, they will take the land and house and sell it, and there is nothing at all you can do about that either.
If I give it to my kids, they would have to come up with the $500 a month to keep it. Ever heard of a White Elephant?

This is a large part of my desire to sell the house and land and cruise. You can call it revolting or complaining, but it is, what it is.
Holy smokes those are high property taxes! I hope it's a big farm.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 07:43   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
You must be one of those evil 1%-ers!
I'm not, I'm dead in the middle of the middle class, I think, just the wife and I both work full time and I have a pension, so we aren't hurting. But I looked at what I'm paying in taxes this year, and I think I could cruise for three years on my taxes alone.
One thing that hurts is I have no debt, and apparently debt is rewarded in our tax system
Old 24-02-2015, 07:47   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Holy smokes those are high property taxes! I hope it's a big farm.

100 acres, of which maybe 85 is in pine trees, not very big. House isn't small, about 3500 sq ft, but it's OLD, built in the early 50's and is a farm type house.
My taxes are high based on the town I live in, taxes will be what makes it very difficult to sell it. It's simply not worth what the taxes are.
Old 24-02-2015, 08:12   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
My wife and me were walking the waterfront in San Diego while we were getting our new boat surveyed. She said as we walked "you can tell who the liveaboard's are, they look a step up from the homeless"
I had to share as we will be living aboard as soon as we can get the boat moved north. Hope to look a little better than the homeless!

Len
You might be right, but at least some of those homeless probably understand subjective pronouns, and know how to correctly form the plural of "liveaboard".
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 08:29   #68
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ouch....
some people judge based on blue tarps and trash on deck.....other by people's use of the Queens English. We are all in trouble by some criteria.
Old 24-02-2015, 08:38   #69

Quote:
100 acres, of which maybe 85 is in pine trees, not very big. House isn't small, about 3500 sq ft, but it's OLD, built in the early 50's and is a farm type house.
My taxes are high based on the town I live in, taxes will be what makes it very difficult to sell it. It's simply not worth what the taxes are.
When we bought our land, the taxes were affordable. At the time, the county was doing revaluations every seven years. When the next valuations occurred our land value went up *** FIVE *** times and so did our property taxes! We almost had to sell land because we could no longer afford the taxes. Thankfully, I was able to get a timber valuation on the land which drastically lowered our tax bill.

I know a family that used to own around 1,000 acres in what now is north Raleigh. For those not from Down He'r, Raleigh is the capital of North Carolina and was the last state capital to be connected to the US Interstate system. Until the 80's it was still a pretty small city. The family in question lost their land due to non payment of property taxes when the great grand father died and the great grandmother could not pay the taxes. They were land rich and cash poor.

I visited the place back in the early 90's, and the farm pond the family used to swim in and fish in, is now surrounded by houses. The farm house has been replaced by a strip mall and what used to be a small road bordering their land is now a major highway. That land was sold by the county for cents on the dollar to pay the tax bill. The land is worth millions today. A small church was built on land the family donated. The church had a nice but modest brick building but build a huge new mega church. What really ticked me off is that that man who donated land to build that church has an unkept grave.

Property tax is a very evil form of taxation. We just rent the land we own. Simple fact. If we don't pay our taxes, which never ends and always increase, the county takes our land. Some of our land we own, ie, there is no bank loan but we really just rent the land from the county.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 08:57   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
No... back in the 1980's we were on board our immaculately maintained O'Day 20 looking across the water in Newport Beach at 30-40ft boats that looked like seagull outhouses or slums with bums living aboard. I really don't know how the notion of living on a harbor eyesore has become some sort of badge of honor in the US. Honestly, you never see this over in Europe. The cruisers and yacht owners seem to take pride in the appearance of their boats.

Has nothing to do with character or wealth.... has more to do with pride in ownership.
The great majority of boats as pictured with the birds aboard are neglected and not in use,- not with people living aboard. The differences in the appearances of boats when comparing different countries is often a result of legislation. Afterall, in Bermuda you will receive a fine if you don't wash your car or repair dents!

I certainly agree with your observation that people who have a "pride in ownership" keep their boats in good shape, but would not agree that, as you say, it has nothing to do with character. I think that the appearance of your O'Day is a testament to your character.

I would also recongnize that an individulal's economic failure can result in neglect and abandonment and this may not matter of character.

Likely, we are in more agreement than I first thought.
Old 24-02-2015, 09:52   #71

Quote:
No wonder the USA is in so much turmoil. Priorities are broken. Taking farmland away from poor farmers, no doubt turning it over to Wal-Mart, or something similar.

Old 24-02-2015, 10:19   #72
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bingo!
Freedom was lost long ago in the USA....but the truth is, it was given away gladly in exchange for the false promise of Security.
Old 24-02-2015, 10:32   #73
CLOD

Boat: none

Freedom was given away when most people decided it was better to live in a society. I would guess there are some who don't and if so I'm sure it is still possible not to, but of course you wouldn't be on an internet forum if you were one.
Old 24-02-2015, 10:51   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Freedom was given away when most people decided it was better to live in a society. I would guess there are some who don't and if so I'm sure it is still possible not to, but of course you wouldn't be on an internet forum if you were one.
You can't seriously be suggesting $6000/year in property taxes for a 100 acre farm is benefiting society in some way?

I know who that benefits. It benefits the corporations with the agricultural monopolies by making it financially unfeasible to survive on small scale farming.

Old 24-02-2015, 10:56   #75
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
You can't seriously be suggesting $6000/year in property taxes for a 100 acre farm is benefiting society in some way?

I know who that benefits. It benefits the corporations with the agricultural monopolies by making it financially unfeasible to survive on small scale farming.
We pay $14,000 per year for 1/7 acre here in Whoville, Massachusetts to live next door to two section 8 apartment tenements infested with idiots.

At least you have some elbow room.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard