Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2023, 15:10   #1

Liveaboard Options In Tampa Bay

Hi all,

May be looking at a 3-4 year work assignment in Tamba. Downtown. Already own a sailboat, so what are the best liveaboard options that allow a quick commute to downtown? I called the city run marinas and they are a 7-8 year wait list after Covid spiked boat ownership, so those aren't options.
night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 10:34   #2

Boat: 2018 Jeanneau 419
Re: Liveaboard Options In Tampa Bay

I just came back from a 4 day trip in Tampa Bay Area: St Petersburg and down south.
We were looking for a temporary live aboard situation. We didn't find anything after visiting close to 15 marinas. Some kind of county ordinance makes living aboard not allowed anymore.
We had to drive to the east coast and found a spot in Fort Pierce. I know they have space available in Titusville and allow living aboard, and pets.
Good luck
Xavierp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2023, 20:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavierp View Post
I just came back from a 4 day trip in Tampa Bay Area: St Petersburg and down south.
We were looking for a temporary live aboard situation. We didn't find anything after visiting close to 15 marinas. Some kind of county ordinance makes living aboard not allowed anymore.
We had to drive to the east coast and found a spot in Fort Pierce. I know they have space available in Titusville and allow living aboard, and pets.
Good luck
Thanks for this input. I was blown away by how few liveaboard marinas I could find. Makes me think that the slip I have on Marco Island is grossly underpriced ($900 for a 45' liveaboard slip with pool and really nice amenities)
night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2023, 22:17   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

you could check Tarpon Springs but that's pretty far for a commute.
Old 24-11-2023, 04:37   #5

Boat: 1983 Pearson 34

The problem surrounds the housing expenses in the area. It became cheaper for too many people to get themselves a crap boat and find a live aboard spot. The boat never left the dock or the nearby anchorage and became an eyesore. Many of the people have had no exposure to marina life and/or "etiquette". The powers that be i.e. local property owners and other marina customers pushed back.
No real villains.
JeffDPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 05:47   #6

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Thanks for this input. I was blown away by how few liveaboard marinas I could find. Makes me think that the slip I have on Marco Island is grossly underpriced ($900 for a 45' liveaboard slip with pool and really nice amenities)

While tha location may not be amenable to working in Tampa area, that is a great deal. Don't give that one up!!!!
Old 24-11-2023, 06:31   #7

Quote:
Don’t even give away this slip!!
Not only liveaboard doesn’t exist but the prices are ridiculous!
Old 24-11-2023, 06:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDPT View Post
The problem surrounds the housing expenses in the area. It became cheaper for too many people to get themselves a crap boat and find a live aboard spot. The boat never left the dock or the nearby anchorage and became an eyesore. Many of the people have had no exposure to marina life and/or "etiquette". The powers that be i.e. local property owners and other marina customers pushed back.
No real villains.
You’re absolutely right! San Francisco has a similar problem near Sausalito. Boats eventually sinking or accidentally burning
There was a marina in Tampa who limits the how long you can liveaboard. Every six months you have to find another spot.
Titusville,FL is a perfect example of what you are talking about. The boats look terrible. They look like these old RVs you see in California mainly where people live in them, never drive or sail, until the thing falls apart
I am not blaming or judging those poor people who would rather have a job and a decent house
But it is a fact
Old 24-11-2023, 08:35   #9

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Whether a land or sea "house" if you can't take care of it and keep it reasonably decent looking then you need to get out of that house. Rent. do something. Don't become a scab on society.
Old 27-11-2023, 01:53   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Whether a land or sea "house" if you can't take care of it and keep it reasonably decent looking then you need to get out of that house. Rent. do something. Don't become a scab on society.
A “scab” is a worker who crosses a picket line [strikebreakers], in violation of a planned work stoppage, or strike.
In his poem “Ode to a Scab”, writer Jack London said,
“After God has finished the rattlesnake, the toad, and the vampire, He had some awful substance left with which He made a scab…
... Where others have hearts, he carries a tumor of rotten principles.”
“Ode to a Scab” ➥ https://assets.nationbuilder.com/twu...pdf?1687872253

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 15:50   #11

Quote:
I had a slip at Burnt Store Marina for my 35ft sailboat and could liveaboard as well. It was $550 per month but that was 2 years ago. I heard after Ian rolled thru, the prices went up dramatically. Luckily, I have a slip at my condo in Punta Gorda now. It would be nice if developers could build some new marinas.
Fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 17:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbob View Post
It would be nice if developers could build some new marinas.

You clearly don't know how marinas, nuclear power plants, or anything that could upset the "sensibilities" of the neighbors, environmental groups, etc get permits in today's climate.

Here in Fort Myers after Hurricane Ian, there ZERO marinas (all destroyed) and this is more than a year after the storm. Please don't hold your breath.

Oh, and still hundreds of sunk boats within view of downtown..........
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 22:15   #13

Boat: Island Packet 29

The Safe Harbor Marina in Palmetto allows liveaboard. I saw one lady living on basically a shell of some 23'-ish boat with no engine or sails. Not sure how that was even allowed, and she had a prime spot in the marina.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard