Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2023, 08:59   #1

Boat: 12' 1976 AMF Puffer
Live aboard slip near Washington DC?

Hello!

I may be purchasing a 40' 1950s vintage wooden sailboat in the next couple weeks. The plan would be to live aboard and commute into DC twice a week or so. I live in the area, and am well aware of the traffic situation. Ideally not more than 45-hour during non-rush hour. I've scoured the forums, but a lot of the posts on this topic are pretty old. Welcome any input. A place with a good yard or where I could do some work along side the staff would be ideal.

Where should I start my search?

Thank you all,

Christopher
dogeconomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 09:26   #2

Boat: Moody 376
Re: Live aboard slip near Washington DC?

If you just want to live aboard, I think there are a few marinas on the Potomac in and around DC that don't frown upon living aboard.

but if you wanted to be able to sail you rboat and stretchher legs Id be looking toward the chesapeake.

I'm fond of Deale. you've got a few marinas to choose from, and stupid easy access to the bay. I was very happy on the hard at Herrington Harbor, did all my own work. no problems. It would have been around 5K a year in the water. So I opted for Paradise marina to save a few boat bucks. They don't allow live aboards though at Paradise.

Ive made the drive from Georgetown to deale in under an hour. during non rush hour.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 09:47   #3

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

I don't know the Washington area but, in many sections of the U.S., marinas and boatyards will not allow a 70-year-old wooden boat on their premises fr obvious reasons.

I'm also not aware of any insurance companies that would write a policy, a prerequisite for getting into most marinas and boatyards.

I would think long and hard before buying that vessel.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 12:35   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380

You could try the Slips in Kinsale, VA. Annie is the owner.

Cheyne
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2023, 13:35   #5

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Since you're only going into DC a coule of times a week you mightwant to lookmat some of the marinas in the Annapolis area. Port Annapolis Marina is one I'd reccomend for you to check out. Ther are others here too. Great area to live, work and play with good access to DC for work and the Bay for sailing. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2023, 14:57   #6

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

From the perspective of a marina owner - Would you want a 70 year old wooden boat at your dock? How many boats half that age have become derelicts? Wood rots, often in places that aren't visible so it gets ignored until the water comes in faster than the bilge pump can remove it. Then the discovery is made that fixing the problem will cost more than the value of the boat. Would you like to guess what happens next?
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 16:35   #7

Boat: Privilege 37

I second Harrington harbor (North). Great staff. No issue with DIY. You may either be in the yard or in the water. North has the boatyard, South is more resort like.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Live aboard, washing, Washington, Washington DC