Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 11:08   #1

Boat: IP 370
Liveaboard NE Florida

Looking for a great liveaboard marina in NE Florida, from St. Augustine up to the GA state line. Anyone have any recomendations for me ? Thanks
sailrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Liveaboard NE Florida

I have used marinas in this Northeast Florida area for 44 years of living aboard and I still return to this area as my home port for at least a portion of each year. I've stayed at over a dozen marinas in this area over this time and I know of others where I have not docked.

Give us some clues to help refine your search:
1- What's your required draft and vertical clearance?
2- Would you rather have closer access to an ocean inlet or the large protected areas of the St. Johns River 20 miles or more from the ocean?
3- Do you have a hurricane or insurance plan that mandates a marina characteristic?
4- Do you require close access to groceries and other shopping or will you be keeping a car?
5- Do you have a preference for city or country docks?
6- What's your LOA and expected price range?
7- Do you carry a liability policy?

Tell us what you want and I can tell you what comes closest. Otherwise I'd need to list about twenty choices!
Old 05-05-2016, 12:39   #3

Boat: IP 370

Hudson,
Thanks for the quick response. We would also consider staying on a mooring if it wasn't too rolly. Appreciate any and all input.

1) 4'6" Draft 56' Clearance
2) Closer to an ocean. Not necessarily an inlet but would like to walk/bike to the beach.
3) Insurance requirements not an issue.
4) Will probably keep a car but would like to be able to walk to restaurants, activities, etc.
5) Definitely prefer the city over the country.
6) LOA 38' - price range $10-$20 per ft/mo.
7) Yes on liability policy.

Thanks so much.
sailrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 13:30   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Sailrmn, The mooring options are Fernandian Harbor Marina and Saint Augustine Municipal Marina. Both of these have strong tidal currents and little sailing available except offshore. I think St. Augustine is the more vibrant town of the two with closer beach access, but Fernandina has a far better inlet for ocean access.

Other marinas to check out in Saint Augustine are the Fish Island Marina and the Conch House Marina. The Conch house would have the best beach access and is also a weekend "party" location.

Other marinas in the Fernandina area are Tiger Point Marina and Amelia Island Yacht harbor, but these are further from the small town.

Jacksonville Beach marine suits your bicycle distance to the beach, but a long walk. It's not next to an ocean inlet, but closer to the best inlet of the three.

My preferences are different from yours so I am more familiar with the marinas up the St. Johns. Jacksonville is a far larger city and it has access to anytime wide river mild current sailing. Several marinas on the Ortega River,- The Landing at Ortega River and Ortega River Marina are good living aboard locations. Green Cove Springs Marina is popular for cruisers, but doesn't have a beach access, town access or restaurants.

If you don't need easy access for an afternoon sail, I think Jacksonville Beach Marine or the Conch House would be your best choices.

Tags
florida, liveaboard