Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2016, 09:12   #46

Boat: PDQ 36
Re: Kitchenware

Have you seen the wonder bag? Wonderbagworld.com does what a slow cooker does without electricity. I haven't used one yet, but I think it's perfect for a boat.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 09:35   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
Macy's Cellar is a good start for kitchen stuff.

After measuring and re-measuring the inside of the oven in relation to the placement of the racks...we found a steamtable pan that fits nearly perfect and can hold roasts and casseroles. Being a steamtable pan it is available with flush covers and assorted liners and various metal thicknesses. The pans for the oven took quite a while to find. Many fit the oven but not with the pan cover. The stones are another important consideration for the oven and acheiving consistent temperatures. Have fun !
Stones?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbtindale View Post
What are polar tech sleeves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Polar Tek (sp?) is a synthetic fabric which sheds moisture. I bought some to make a blanket out of, once. Sapient Sue would have sewn them up to fit, I would not think they are commercially available, but you never know, Sue may come along back and answer you, or you could send her a PM.

Ann
Quote:
Thanks for the wonderful advice.
I've been considering Corelle. And I have Oneida stainless at the house. I have a small slow cooker and pressure cooker also. I think I'll look into the ceramic knives and sharpener. I am considering a wok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Nesting stainless steel pots, stainless cutlery, global stainless knives, enamel plates/bowls/cups............ all are bomb proof, only a fillet knife ever leaves the galley so the others never get lost or abused.......... and for gods sake learn to use a sharpening stone AND USE IT REGULARLY......... Dull knive cut off fingers and chop up your hands at sea not sharp ones
Dbtindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 09:46   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiminAK View Post
Have you seen the wonder bag? Wonderbagworld.com does what a slow cooker does without electricity. I haven't used one yet, but I think it's perfect for a boat.
Thanks KimimAK. I'll look into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
All my baking and roasting pans are flexible silicon and yes do use a pizza stone in you oven to spread the heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I buy most stuff from hospitality wholesale shops that sell to the public. That stuff is tough, and usually much cheaper than department store stuff.

I like nice cutlery so thats department store stuff. It doesnt last forever.

Pans... I have listened to advice and bought heavy based frying pans but they are a waste of money imho, and use far more propane to heat.

I have gone back to thin based commercial kitchen grade stuff. Far cheaper and better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
We have had problems with some expensive kitchenware that was expensive because it had a desired brand name, was heavily advertised, had celebrity endorsements, and was carried in high end retail stores. We have done much better with kitchenware that was well made, well finished, heavy, and sturdy whether bought at WalMart, a restaurant supplyhouse, or a thrift shop. It is hard to guess the grade of stainless (or other materials) that a manufacturer uses, but few manufactures will cut materials costs only to spend them on weight and finish.

We use circles cut from McMaster 86915K24 12"x12"x1/32" adhesive backed silicone rubber sheet stuck to the bottoms of tumblers, plates, and bowls to keep them from slipping around. It is expensive ($27/sheet), but it sticks to the top of a varnished table as well as a silicone face mask strap sticks to your hair. It looks better than silicone caulk, and the adhesive lasts through a couple of years of hand washing. No dog bowls here either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Agreed, I get the same taste problem with cheap SS flatware. It's the cheap stamped crap that's nasty tasting and will rust rapidly. Good quality, no rust, no taste.
Plastic is better than the cheap stuff. lol.
glass baking dish's make great plates also, deeper that dinner plates and look ok. But a nice stainless steel dog bowl sounds rather nice also.
Quote:
Have decided against ceramic knives after researching.
Old 27-10-2016, 14:48   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
What made you decide against them? I love mine!

(But a friend did recently lose one that we gave her as a present when someone tried to use it to crack open a coconut )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 15:14   #50

Stones.

Quote:
Stones?

Click image for larger version

Name:	baking stone.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	134070
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 05:20   #51

Boat: Beneteau First 42

We have very nice dinnerware, glassware flatware that we have had aboard for 20+ years that we use when moored or anchored. When sailing, however, we use partitioned dinner bowels that have worked well for us. The silicon bakeware also works well and is easy to store. Our most versatile cookware is a now 40+ year old SS "Presto" pressure cooker that can be used for most all cooking off shore. We too have a baking stone in the bottom of our oven, cut from an overlarge Pizza Stone, that helps stabilize the stove in rolly weather and seems to even out the heat in the oven.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 06:35   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Stones?
Baking, or Oven , or Pizza Stone.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=bakin...LumMjwTRranoAQ

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 07:11   #53

I have a set of titanium silverware that we have had for years and planned to use it since it will not rust. Kind of pricey but doubt we will ever have to replace it.
the_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 08:35   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
What made you decide against them? I love mine!

(But a friend did recently lose one that we gave her as a present when someone tried to use it to crack open a coconut )
StuM,
I am going to take one or two in the paring knife size. However, my research showed the larger sizes to be more fragile. Also, I was told they can't be sharpened. If I've been given misinformation please advice me from your experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiminAK View Post
Quote:
Old 28-10-2016, 08:36   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
Ahhh. I've only seen the round pizza stones, and use one. Thx.
Old 28-10-2016, 15:06   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
StuM,
I am going to take one or two in the paring knife size. However, my research showed the larger sizes to be more fragile. Also, I was told they can't be sharpened. If I've been given misinformation please advice me from your experience.

They are more fragile than steel knives and are no substitute for a good set of steel knives. They are however a very good complement to them. I have both good steel and ceramic kitchen knives and grab the appropriate on for the task at hand.

Used appropriately (i.e. soft foods and a wooden or plastic cutting board), they stay sharp for a loooong time so sharpening is not a big issue. Using a ceramic where appropriate also means that I don't need to sharpen the other knives as often

You can sharpen ceramic knives, but with a hardness of around 9.5 compared to steel's 6.5 (on the Mohs Scale- where diamond is 10), you need a diamond sharpener and you need to use a fine or very fine grit.

This sort of thing works: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004WFTD

Use the fine stone with light pressure to remove any "micro-chips".
Light use of the ultra-fine stone with water will effectively re-polish the edge.

FWIW, I have a paring knife sized one in my marlinspike dittybag for cutting dyneema line as well as carving and paring sizes in the galley.

IMNSHO, for the price you can get them these days, they are a valuable addition to the galley.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:29   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Baking, or Oven , or Pizza Stone.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=bakin...LumMjwTRranoAQ
Or firebricks. The bricks that are used around the fire of solid fuel cookers. They come in a whole range of sizes and if you can't find what you need you can fit them tetris style. Stronger and cheaper than pizza stones.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:25   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The ceramic knives are inexpensive enough so that when they finally do dull, I'll just replace them.
We haven't had to yet, and we only use smaller knives, we don't even have a large kitchen knife on the boat, filleting knives, but haven't used on in the kitchen yet.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:43   #59

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The ceramic knives are inexpensive enough so that when they finally do dull, I'll just replace them.
We haven't had to yet, and we only use smaller knives, we don't even have a large kitchen knife on the boat, filleting knives, but haven't used on in the kitchen yet.
If you guys take to cruising, if you're bread eaters, it is likely you will want a bread knife. Bread keeps better if it is not pre-sliced; and there will be times when if you want it you will bake it. And if you're meat eaters, you're likely t want a carving knife, as well, so if you have favorites of these at home, bring 'em along [Think Christmas ham or turkey, in New Zealand.]

Ann
Old 02-11-2016, 13:33   #60

I have used 6 to 8 inch cleaver's for years on shore. I keep a thin blade 8" SS cleaver aboard the boat and find it indispensable. chopping vegs, slicing meats both raw and cooked, smashing ice for drink's . A razor sharp cleaver can slice anything paper thin, ( raw fish) I use a 8" eze-lap diamond hone for all sharpening needs from knifes to hair scissors.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote