Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2009, 10:41   #16

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Grunzster,
Hopefully You will get the response you desire from the court system. I appreciate that you are not just trying to get out of your duty and that it sounds like you have already served in that capacity many times. My experience with the judicial selection is that they are pretty understanding with those out of the country.
Spencer
Old 20-10-2009, 11:02   #17

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post

And I'd never get picked either, because I've my disdain for the entire system. The one time I got called up, I told them the plaintiff was a tool, it was a frivolous lawsuit, and there was no way I'd rule in their favor. "NEXT!" was the response.
If they find out you're a conservative who listens to talk radio every day, believe in personal responsibility and the death penalty for child pervs , they'll dump you so fast it'll make your head spin!

Steve B.
Old 20-10-2009, 20:52   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I never get picked due to my ethnicity and education.
Old 20-10-2009, 22:15   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Jury Duty...Yuck!
Consider our selves lucky that we live in democratic countries that value the in put of 'normal' people like you and m into the greatest of our institutions: the jusitce system.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 20-10-2009, 22:27   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I used to have a California license and would get called at my sometime mailing address - my dad's house. They would reply on my behalf that I live in Singapore. I haven't gone to jail yet when I visit Ca.

Then I had an Ohio license and didn't get called by them.

Now I don't have a US license. I have a Singapore license and I don't get called by anyone.

Jury duty is an inconvenience for everyone who performs it. That's why they call it a "duty." If you are living in US jurisdiction even on a boat you should perform jury duty. If you live overseas - outside US jurisdiction - you just tell them you live overseas.
Old 20-10-2009, 22:59   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
It is your civil duty to serve on juries. Just kidding. I would think that the jury pool is based on your driver' license address. We use St. Brendan's Ilse mail forwarding service in Florida and are out of the country 7 months out of 12. We have never been called in 6 years, Maybe because the local court system in Green Cove Springs knows that our address is that of the mail forwarding service.
'jut to note,- we have the same St. Brendan's Isle address in Green Cove Springs & I received a jury summons this summer while cruising in Maine. I explained my status to the clerk of the county court and was excused. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 21-10-2009, 04:11   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Consider our selves lucky that we live in democratic countries that value the in put of 'normal' people like you and m into the greatest of our institutions: the jusitce system.

Mark
Yeah, except the problem is I'm trying to get out of that country...or at least this state.

Maybe I could have worded the OP better, but it just sucks because it seems I may not be able to get out of jury duty without already being cruising or having a definite date. Therefore I may have to put off cutting the dock lines because of jury duty. Catch 22.

And well, yes it's annoying that I get a notices constantly, as soon as the time restriction is up, while other people, even in this thread have said they never get called.
Old 21-10-2009, 05:10   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:

And well, yes it's annoying that I get a notices constantly, as soon as the time restriction is up, while other people, even in this thread have said they never get called.
No wonder so many people are in jail!

Jus jokin!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 21-10-2009, 06:25   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Ah juries - one of the wonders of our age, walk down the street and select 12 people at random and they most likely wont agree what day of the week it is, yet we shove em in a court and hope they get it right.

While I am on juries Lord Denning once said - and I paraphrase

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury - you may think your role here is to decide whether or not this person committed the crime with which he is charged. Nothing could be further from the truth. Your role here is, acting only the the evidence I have allowed you to hear, and without knowledge of the antecedents of the accused, whether or not the prosecution has proven the accused's guilt beyond reasonable doubt. Whether or not he actually committed this crime is none of your business.

Sort of says it all really.
Old 21-10-2009, 21:03   #25

easy dont vote for the next election if you dont vote they cant call you for jury duty. its that easy!
by law they have to pull those on jury duty from those registered voters. so having a drivers lisence some where else shouldnt matter.
Old 21-10-2009, 21:27   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I thought you were talking aboot the Canadian Football League

Did you ever see the South Park Episode aboot the invasion of Canada?

Are Terrence and Phillip still on? (poot-blap-squeak-pffft)

Entertaining, Eh?

Just having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
How many conservative talk radio show hosts does it take to screw in a compact florescent light bulb (CFL)?

Answer: 12

1. One to bring the ladder.

2. One to bring the "mission accomplished" banner and hang it up before they do anything.

3. One to blame Bill Clinton/ Barack Obama for making the old bulb burn out.

4. One to blame liberal media bias for reporting that the bulb burnt out three weeks ago.

5. One to whine that Americans shouldn't have to spend extra money on CFL's because poor families in China aren't using them yet.

6. One to argue that they shouldn't use a CFL because tiny amounts of mercury might end up in landfills if it isn't properly disposed of after use, and then tell us that we needn't worry about the much larger amounts of mercury emitted by coal power plants on a daily basis.

7. One to spin conspiracy theories about the menacing "wind turbine-florescent light bulb-sierra club non-industrial complex" that's using global warming to control the world and destroy freedom.

8. One to bring a junk scientist who claims they should do nothing because the bulb never has and never will burn out.

9. One to remind the other radio hosts that the ones who don't work for a subsidiary of General Electric still get major advertising revenue from utilities and the coal industry so it would be better if the old 60w bulb were replaced with a rotating searchlight that is always on and gets replacement bulbs on a weekly basis whether it needs it or not.

10. One to call Dick Cheney to arrange for Halliburton to get a $14 million no-bid government contract to have the job done by illegal immigrants.

11/12. Finally, two to rail on about the liberal conspiracy to destroy Amerika, describing how “they” hate America and want to dismantle its foundational institutions and liberties, including capitalism and private property. Liberals are rootless internationalists who cravenly appease those who want to kill us.

OOPS. I forgot, we don't do this crap here.
Old 22-10-2009, 05:36   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidar View Post
easy dont vote for the next election if you dont vote they cant call you for jury duty. its that easy!
by law they have to pull those on jury duty from those registered voters. so having a drivers lisence some where else shouldnt matter.
Really? Because I've only voted a handful of times in my entire life, and not in last one. So, how exactly do you un-register to vote?
Old 22-10-2009, 07:04   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I've always thought it would be fun to do jury duty I'd like to see how all that works...unfortunately I never get called...any way I live abroad.
I do think its our duty if it doesn’t place an undue burden on us.
Old 22-10-2009, 07:15   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I've always thought it would be fun to do jury duty I'd like to see how all that works...unfortunately I never get called...any way I live abroad.
I do think its our duty if it doesn’t place an undue burden on us.
Well, if I'm here I'll have no problem going. In fact I love my cubicle so much these days, that I'd love to go. But I'd really rather escape by then.
Old 22-10-2009, 08:31   #30

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Just don't respond to the summons. Wair until about 2 or 3 days before you are to appear and call the number on the summons and just tell them you just recv'd it and you are out of the country, that is, if you are out of the country..
My wife and I drive a truck cross country and most of the time the summons shows up at the house right after we leave for the month...
Closed Thread