Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2017, 16:21   #31

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'
Re: Internet in far away areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberdou View Post
Hello
interesting post since many of us need internet access for work while travelling
I plan to liveaboard soon and found this product
https://miowifi.com/en/coverage/
looks interesting and will probably try it
anyone in the forum knows about it?
any further recommendations?
thanks for your input
rgds
daniel

Use MIOWIFI in more than 110 countries. If your country isn’t on the list, please contact us.

Pretty strong list of countries if you don't visit Africa or the Middle East. But how well does it work in various locations? I think many sailors deliberately go to less well developed areas.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 16:22   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSJWS View Post
We live aboard in Mexico and are connected pretty much 24/7. We use a Telcel chip with a data plan and a great device called Neptulink. Put the same m. Are in Neptulink and brown ad set that around the boat via wifi. Phone and computers always connected. Absolutely the best.
Mexico is a large country. Sea of Cortez would interest many of us.
Old 05-04-2017, 16:34   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Expectations can be funny things. At least ten years ago, I helped relatives of a friend move back to PNW from Thailand. They were shocked at the primitive state of cellular coverage in the USA. "What do you mean, I can't tether my computer to my cell phone? What century are you living in?"
The US isn't exactly on the cutting edge of these things.
Perhaps Ranchero76 summed it up: "Not surprising - all the money spent on weapons and wars"
Old 05-04-2017, 16:45   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Use MIOWIFI in more than 110 countries. If your country isn’t on the list, please contact us.

Pretty strong list of countries if you don't visit Africa or the Middle East. But how well does it work in various locations? I think many sailors deliberately go to less well developed areas.
Spot on! It's not how many countries, it's how much of a country.

It lists several countries in Oceania, but for most of them, it won't work outside of major urban areas - which in many cases is just one or two towns/cities. If you're cruising the islands, the only time it is likely to work is when checking in/out of the country at the Port of Entry.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 00:20   #35

Boat: Oceanis 42CC

Have a look in the technology section but we use a Ubiquitous bullet to latch onto WiFi networks. Go buy a coffee, get the password and then connect from up to 150 metres away and then connect to cheap cable router to set it up as a boat hotspot so all our devices can connect.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
squirty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:00   #36

At the low tech end of this discussion get an unlocked dongle rather than relying on using your phone as a hotspot. They are dirt cheap but do a far better job as an antennae and relay - basically because that is all they do. You can put them higher up easily while in use and use your phone/device wherever you want on board.

Interesting thread by the way for the most part.
Naughty Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:27   #37

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The last time I was in my favorite cruising spots, they didn't have electricity or telephone service, let alone internet connections. If I wanted to communicate, it was the SSB or satellite. What is it like today in places like Double Waterfall Bay??
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:09   #38

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberdou View Post
Hello
interesting post since many of us need internet access for work while travelling
I plan to liveaboard soon and found this product
https://miowifi.com/en/coverage/
looks interesting and will probably try it
anyone in the forum knows about it?
any further recommendations?
thanks for your input
rgds
daniel
I'm interested too; would like to hear from anyone who has tried this.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:20   #39

Boat: Taswell 43

After cruising in the Medd for 3+ years, we've gone a little different way. Knowing that there are 2 different sets of frequencies (the US, and the most of the rest of the world), you need equipment that will work on the frequencies used where you're cruising. We found a digital ant and mounted it on the masthead(better range), ran LMR400 down the mast to a selectable pair of Wilson 12vDC cell amps(one for ea freq set), then to a MIFI. In the Medd we found that buying a MIFI from the local telecon company seemed to work better than a "one size fits all" (in the correct freq bands), and they were not that expensive. Then we bought local SIM data cards, and had pretty much any-where-we-were WiFi throughout the boat. Got here to the Caribb, and have done the same thing-ATT MiFi for the US-based islands, and a Digicel MiFi, as Digicel is in almost all the windward/leeward islands. The only issue so far....except for ATT, we need to go ashore and find the Cell phone store to top up the data card when it runs out...ATT has a refil on-line procedure.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:10   #40

Boat: Reinke S10 - 34' Alu Junk Rig Schooner
DigiCell top-up app

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
. . Got here to the Caribb, and have done the same thing-ATT MiFi for the US-based islands, and a Digicel MiFi, as Digicel is in almost all the windward/leeward islands. The only issue so far....except for ATT, we need to go ashore and find the Cell phone store to top up the data card when it runs out...ATT has a refil on-line procedure.
DigiCell has a top-up app so you can put money in a specific number's account.
Then you activate on the phone.
Done it (too) many time on my iPhone ;-)
Junk Viking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet