Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2021, 14:56   #61

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36
Re: How stupid is this idea: turn a racer into a liveaboard?

I have a C&C 36 which I have taken NJ to the Bahamas 5 times. C&C is not known for cruising boats. I have had her for 25 years. I disagree with all the negative feedback on cruising in an old racing boat. If the "racing" makes the price right so you can cruise now then this is very important. Furthermore life is too short to own a slow boat. If there are 2 sailboats cruising together then you have a race. I guess I had to add $10-15K to turn my C&C into a comfortable boat for 2. I did all the work myself. This is important for many reasons. 1) It saved a bundle of money. 2) At one time everything I installed was new. 3)I know my boat thoroughly. Remember, cruising is also know as fixing your boat in exotic locations. You are on your own although other cruisers will always help. Almost all boat quickly become fix-er-uppers. Also true if you have left the dock. Don't delay, GO. I forgot the most important consideration. Does your wife like the boat?
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 04:28   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnerual View Post
I have seen this Soverel 43 https://www.yachtworld.fr/bateaux/19...el-43-3612723/ for an appealing price (and given that it's been listed for quite a while, I guess it could come down a fair bit), and it got me thinking. This post is more about the general concept, rather than this particular boat (though she appears to have an interesting story: https://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/...overel-43.html and https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/in...ra-soveral-43/).

I'm an "advanced beginner" (have RYA day skipper + about 1300NM under my belt) pondering the liveaboard lifestyle. Because I'm *tall* (1.97 / 6'6) I'd most likely have to find a 40ish footer to be able to stand straight (I've posted elsewhere about this, I consider it a non-negotiable). I'm also hoping to go full electric, and someone suggested a light boat with plenty of sail area. Would a racer fit that description? In terms of program, I imagine a couple of years of EU coastal cruising to get more experience, and then consider going further.

I'm wondering if there are any major red flags with the idea of turning a racer into a liveaboard. I understand that fitting it with adequate comfort makes it more of a project boat than anything else, but are there other obvious problems? Am I mistaken in guessing that a racer might be more strongly built than a cruiser (except keel/rudder design which I guess some here would disqualify for cruising)?

I've not been able to find any posts discussing this elsewhere on the forum, apologies if I've missed them.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Sorry mate but apart for the multiple things you would have to change and the money along with it, the most annoying set back to me is that you are going to have a wet ass 24-7. Every single wave that gets on the deck its eventually is gonna end up under you, tha's why they are called flush decks, means no protection at all from the weather. Imagine this on a windy, cold night on the bay of Biscay.
ramonex3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 07:33   #63
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
A friend of mine did just that, converted a racer and circumnavigated the world in it.

He was very happy with the performance.
A workmate just sold his. I don't know about circumnavigation but I know that was a liveaboard.

Our family smaller cruiser was similar hull shape and he and his family had the same issues that we had during rest on a pick. The boat would accelerate onto plane the rest like a thurough bred getting excited because the ocean waved.

I know what we did.. we oversized the pick and oversized the chain. Direct shackled to crown and used a breaker latch on head incase pick became stuck.
In strong waves (non breaking, wasn't even big with height about 1 foot) we snapped chain because I had secured via bow. That anchor was lost.
With a plane hull you might want to look at guiding line along gunnel and v shaping security onto chain. Spring lines.
Chain is vulnerable to snap, that is common weakness of chain. A heavier cruiser that is built to plow can handle a lighter set because she ain't designed to have such strong acceleration such as a racer.
Race boats can make great cruisers IMHO .
I'd look into anchoring techniques to encourage rest when on halt.
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 13:36   #64

Boat: Venture of Newport 23 swing keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastsailor View Post
"How dumb is this idea?"

"About as dumb as a second coat of paint". George Carlin
==========

"Living aboard" can be just living aboard, like at dock, with AC shore power and maybe water. People do that for years at a time. So, that works. If slip fee is low enough you could look at it as cash deposit up front (cost of buying boat), then rent (slip/power fee), and getting the original purchase cost back when you sell it X years later. Maybe you like ambience of a marina. People have lived on 20-foot boats in areas of the developed world. 30 feet liveaboard would be nice, perhaps better if it is fitted out below, and slip fee may be significantly lower than 40 ft slip. Still, 30 feet is smaller than a 1-bedroom apartment. A 40 foot boat to me is a small house. I hope you have a good holding tank.
Kayakeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 15:32   #65

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonex3 View Post
Sorry mate but apart for the multiple things you would have to change and the money along with it, the most annoying set back to me is that you are going to have a wet ass 24-7. Every single wave that gets on the deck its eventually is gonna end up under you, tha's why they are called flush decks, means no protection at all from the weather. Imagine this on a windy, cold night on the bay of Biscay.
Ramonex, Sorry, If that is your opinion then you know nothing about this. The boat the OP is asking about will not be a wet boat. Yes, if you push it too hard it will be wet, like going 7+ knots to windward in 25 knots of true wind speed or carrying a kite downwind in 35 knots, tell me what type of boat in which those conditions would not be wet, but if you sail it moderately it will be as dry as any boat you can name. The flush deck gives moderately high freeboard. The buoyancy forward means the bow comes up in waves, it does not plunge deep. The slight raised cabin top deflects any water coming back down the deck away from the companionway.

I have a similar boat. If we sail hard in bad weather we get wet, like any boat would, but normally we stay very dry. I haven't been in the Bay of Biscay, but the S. China Sea gets pretty rough and we stayed dry even when it was so bad we had to heave too.

For protection you add a dodger.
Old 26-05-2021, 19:18   #66
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.g.evans View Post
I have a C&C 36 which I have taken NJ to the Bahamas 5 times. C&C is not known for cruising boats. I have had her for 25 years. I disagree with all the negative feedback on cruising in an old racing boat. If the "racing" makes the price right so you can cruise now then this is very important. Furthermore life is too short to own a slow boat. If there are 2 sailboats cruising together then you have a race. I guess I had to add $10-15K to turn my C&C into a comfortable boat for 2. I did all the work myself. This is important for many reasons. 1) It saved a bundle of money. 2) At one time everything I installed was new. 3)I know my boat thoroughly. Remember, cruising is also know as fixing your boat in exotic locations. You are on your own although other cruisers will always help. Almost all boat quickly become fix-er-uppers. Also true if you have left the dock. Don't delay, GO. I forgot the most important consideration. Does your wife like the boat?
Nice 1 sir..
I'm 100% positive that you know C&C much better than me. I've heard only great news about their performance.

Racers are built to accelerate hard and can be a handful short handed. I know 1 true story about a fleet of offshore racers. They were hands on deck, working vessels to beat during a race. My workmate and his crew had a Farr40. One of his friends, skippering a C&C of similar length sailed straight past the racing fleet and with a good look, no one was on deck. LoL. They were probably on Autohelm whilst down under sipping hot tea.

Cruisers shine in this sort of weather because they don't accelerate as strong hence they tend to hold course. Thus can usually be short handed sailed a little easier due to ease of balance.
But.. they probably speed wobble at lower knots due to plane type.
Old 26-05-2021, 19:41   #67

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Get a boat originally designed for the desired purchase. Most likely less expense and hassle than converting a boat it wasn't designed for.
Old 26-05-2021, 19:59   #68

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseN View Post
...Cruisers shine in this sort of weather because they don't accelerate as strong hence they tend to hold course. Thus can usually be short handed sailed a little easier due to ease of balance.
But.. they probably speed wobble at lower knots due to plane type.
No disrespect intended CruiseN, but I just have no idea where this kind of stuff comes from. Totally mythical.
Old 27-05-2021, 10:14   #69

Converting a racer to a cruiser. Print shows 4 aft windows replaced with S/S, screened, opening Flagship ports and hardtop design. Project completed. Looking for canvas sponsors...?? Other posts describe other features... more to come...

What the mind can conceive and believe can be achieved. I'd advise pragmatic perseverance

https://gofund.me/135d65df
dbeausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 12:45   #70
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
No disrespect intended CruiseN, but I just have no idea where this kind of stuff comes from. Totally mythical.
Me neither Wings..
Just a small world.

Before we were born, our planet didn't have tides. Moon just a giant sailing craft arrived. Orbits about 4 degree off. Enables tides and generally life. Dimensions of craft as exact as our Great Pyramid.

With a racer like that; if one was to cruise such; might look into weight distribution and hold down the leading edge of the fin keel. Gifting point short handed and underpowered in sloppy conditions in Lue of a little bit of plane speed. Would be a little easier to handle IMO.
I'd rather a cruiser though, especially if fitting out beneath deck into a lovely camp . I'd probably be cheaper, stronger, open to more conditions, etc..

Found this nice reading. I agree with her. Guy eye and brace command vessel strongly; on course helm going to obey them because they're obeying wind.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/5-tips/sailing-downwind-expert-tips-to-improve-you-helming-130602
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200116-144733_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	239350  

Tags
liveaboard, race, racer