Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2019, 10:54   #31

Boat: Casacde 36
Re: How much training do you need to be a live aboard?

Living aboard is similar to somewhere between living in an apartment, and camping. Almost anyone can do it. No training required; just common sense and observation.
Don't know your location, so try the ASA website and select a local school from there. Their courses are consistent, aimed at cruising, rather than racing, sailors and cover from beginner to ocean, ages 8 to 80, or thereabouts.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:09   #32

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

In my 60's with far too many injuries and issues (spinal, neurological, knee etc..) I can't do what I used to do even 10 years ago so I find work arounds. To just blindly tell you to just buy a boat and do it may be exactly the wrong thing for you depending on any physical limitations you may have.

Do you need a sailing course? Probably not if you were reasonably decent before. A good friend of mine asked me to hop out on his new to him Catalina 30 as he hadn't sailed in 10 years. He used to teach sailing quiet actively. I went with him and pointed out a few minor things and he did fine. It all came back and for him it was reassuring having someone highly experienced on board just in case.

Volunteering as rail meat on beer can races would be good for you for a lot of reasons. It would get you back in the swing of things, help your confidence and when you buy your boat you'd have other experienced sailors you know to go out with you as you get to know your boat and build your confidence which won't take long.

I have new clients who just bought their first big boat, 40' powerboat, trawler. In their case I am teaching them everything about how the boat works, what needs to be repaired to on the water lessons. It's another way to go that for some makes more sense. Beware, there are. a lot of "Captain's" out there offering services. A lot of them are not USCG Captains and may lack relevant experience. I had my own business for 15 years teaching rich new owners, helping them buy their yachts etc.. in addition to previously been a Tug Boat Captain dredging marinas (extremely difficult) as well as tour boat Captains on all kinds of sail and power. If you go this route really find out what they know etc. You probably may not need this level of help.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:15   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I love the "just jump in and go crowd". I once sat on the seawall in Vancouver. Beautiful, bright, warm sunny day with just a brisk wind blowing into False Creek from English Bay. Outgoing tide. Steady stream of boats coming out of English Bay, hitting the standing waves, taking a very rough ride for a few hundred meters and then turning around and heading back in. They had had enough and didn't realize that if they had enjoyed a few hours sailing in the bay by the time they came back to the creek the standing waves would have sat down. I often wonder how many of those people never left the dock again. I know that many of the boats in the marina where I was docked never seemed to leave.

What I want to get across here is that it never hurts to refresh knowledge and maybe learn a few things that one didn't know before. It could keep you from getting into serious trouble.

About a sailing school I recommend that you find a good one that teaches in the water where you will be doing most of your sailing.

Good luck.

I forgot to mention the sailboat with the outboard hanging off the stern. The waves were steep enough that the engine was swamped. They managed to get the anchor to hold just a few yards from the rocks. Got the engine going but a jib sheet wrapped the prop. Again the anchor held until the coast guard came to the rescue.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:01   #34

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
when it comes right down to it ASA classes take you from nothing to being able to bareboat charter with just 7 days of "training"
Are you being ironical?

What I love about sailing is the constant learning environment in which one can go from being a complete newb to somewhat proficient in a short time though it does depend on putting the hours in to sail often but the learn-as-you-go risk is much higher. You don't say if you are thinking of doing this by yourself, with a partner, or picking up crew. Or if your intent is to live aboard as a lifestyle or as a means to travel the world. Or if you're in the US or another county. Lots of variables here. Living aboard in a marina is much easier than finding new places to anchor. Cost-wise, any place where the living is less expensive and there are easy anchorages, say along the southern East Coast or Gulf Coast, is going to be less than most places on the West or Northeast coasts where the cost of living is higher and the conditions for living aboard year-round, or for sailing in general, are going to be more difficult and more expensive for instruction.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:13   #35

Boat: Casacde 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
when it comes right down to it ASA classes take you from nothing to being able to bareboat charter with just 7 days of "training"
Not if you were unfortunate enough to have me as your instructor 😉. You're not doing your students any favors by lowering standards, as a number of mine have since pointed out.
Before taking lessons, decide; are you a "destination person" or a " journey person"? If a destination, better off with a power boat.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:44   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How much training do you need to be a live aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Are you being ironical?

What I love about sailing is the constant learning environment in which one can go from being a complete newb to somewhat proficient in a short time though it does depend on putting the hours in to sail often but the learn-as-you-go risk is much higher. You don't say if you are thinking of doing this by yourself, with a partner, or picking up crew. Or if your intent is to live aboard as a lifestyle or as a means to travel the world. Or if you're in the US or another county. Lots of variables here. Living aboard in a marina is much easier than finding new places to anchor. Cost-wise, any place where the living is less expensive and there are easy anchorages, say along the southern East Coast or Gulf Coast, is going to be less than most places on the West or Northeast coasts where the cost of living is higher and the conditions for living aboard year-round, or for sailing in general, are going to be more difficult and more expensive for instruction.
No.. He's just showing how desperate charter firms are to hire out their boats.. some will even accept the joke online ICC.
Standards and safety count for nothing where cash is king.. things go bad, thats what insurance companies are for..
For the doubters.. thats how I got back into sailing after 20 odd years away from a basic crewing sailboat lessons on open whalers and cutters.
But.. if self belief/confidence is low, opt for the course.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:18   #37

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Not so sure about that.
Perhaps we lived in different worlds?
In CA due to high rents and prices we have hundreds living in marinas and at anchor, many derelects who have no thought of cruising anywhere.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:27   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
How much training do you need to be a live aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
In CA due to high rents and prices we have hundreds living in marinas and at anchor, many derelects who have no thought of cruising anywhere.

Same in Florida apparently.
It’s gotten to the point that you do not refer to yourself as a Livaboard either to your Insurence Co or to a prospective Marina.
Your a full time Cruiser.
I know it’s semantics and words shouldn’t mean anything, but they do.
To many a Liveaboard is a person that can’t afford anything better, Boat never moves, it’s a place to live is all, no longer a traveling thing.
I sympathize, cause without some kind of profession or skill, without going on Welfare which I’m sure contrary to some‘s opinion isn’t easy, I don’t see how you can make ends meet on minimum wage, not without criminal activity.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:18   #39

Boat: Nauticat 32

Since you have sailed before and know the basics, a short sail with someone who knows the new boat better than you should be enough.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:25   #40

Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS

The ASA courses are great for what I call accelerated life lessons. Since you have had experience the ASA 101 would be a refresher that you could do by reading the book. The remaining courses just add more 'experience'. ASA 103/104 adds to the knowledge of the ASA 101 but adds 'experience' in doing an overnight - either an anchorage or in another marina. The 105 is going to teach you how to work the chart correctly. 106 is a multiple overnight trip and the 107 is celestial navigation. Finally the 108 is Ocean Crossing. All the classes build on one another and provide you with life lessons that others have learned. Of course there are other classes like multi hull, docking etc. but these are the ones that will jump start your journey.

Remember, smart men learn from their mistakes, wise men learn from others.
MickMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:48   #41

Boat: Garcia 45 - being built for April 2019

Jump back in advise:-
Complete: ASA 101, 103, 104 and 105.
Read: Beth Leonard, Hal Roth, a good nav/pilotage book/ Chapman/Bowditch.
And THEN jump back in.
peteh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:35   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Prout, Quasar, 50'

If finances are an issue... join a boat club or go to one near where you live and sign up to crew on boats. Many, many people are looking for people to go out with them. Most will be willing to reaclimate you to sailing.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:41   #43

Boat: Morgan Out Island 28

Hi Saxoncross, I'm in a similar place. Had no boat for 20+ years and had only sailed a 22 footer before buying a 28 foot boat and slowly learned to sail it in St. Andrews Bay in Panama City, Florida, before hurricane Michael stopped by and put a temporary end to my fun. Learning to live on a sailboat simply means learning to adjust to the different space, different entry and exit, and figuring out your sail trim. Took a couple of ASA classes and found I had no trouble with their 30 footer so it made it a bit easier for me when I was finally read to untie the lines with my own boat. Learning to sail is a challenge and its exciting and you should go at your own pace, whatever you're comfortable with. Christa
CMO Tashina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:31   #44

I'm surprised by the responses. Take courses 1-5 etc. That's nonsense. This guy has sailed before I believe. He likely knows what he is bad at or has forgotten. No need to start from scratch. Write down what you are concerned about and address each situation. If you just want to live aboard and really aren't interested in much sailing, then forget the sails and study the rest. You will need to be able to motor, dock at the fuel dock, get in and out of the harbor while avoiding the rocks. Once you get the motoring thing down pat, load the headsail on the furler. Make sure you know how it works.. take it out on a light wind day and try it out. Once you get that down, try just the mainsail and get that down. Then try out both at the same time. But do it on light wind days - 10 mph or less. You won't be breaking any speed records but your rail won't be buried in the water either!
Again, write down your concerns.
You obviously have internet access. Youtube is a wealth of information regarding docking techniques and some boat maintenance. Buy your boat and find some other folks at the docks to help you when you first get started. Having one more person on the boat while docking the first few times can be very reassuring. Do you know how to read charts on paper or on a Chartplotter, smart phone, etc? You can learn that while walking around on the dirt.
I think you said you are 65? I'm getting close, but still working. There are hordes of mid 60's guys at my marina who have just retired and have loads of time on their hands. You can tell who they are as they are constantly washing their boats, and when not, talking to other mid 60 folks about whatever. Since they have a lot of time on their hands they are usually ready to make friends and help.

Dave
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:03   #45

Boat: Beneteau Trawler 34

If you only plan to live aboard in a marina, yes go ahead but if you plan to travel, do get a refresher at a sailing school, you need to be able to react to weather conditions , take a reef quickly, reduce sails, anchor in strong winds, navigate at night, sail even if seasick , feel when you are getting too tired and need to warm up, rest or maybe heave to etc.. not to mention doing repairs on the fly..
Get some experience step by step before heading out.
good luck