Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2023, 13:25   #1

How much clothing to take…!?

We’re packing up the house to take off on a multi-year cruise on a catamaran. Our first long term trip and living onboard. Can anyone list the quantity of types of clothes they take? Both my wife and I are scratchy our heads here wondering where it would all go!!! And yes, I know it comes down to personal taste etc, but we’re hoping there is some wisdom in the experienced among you that can be shared!? TIA
Dali Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2023, 13:44   #2

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Re: How much clothing to take…!?

well a lot depends upon where you will be (which you don't mention). for example here in FP we use very little in the way of clothes

but as a few hints
- take a lot less than you think you will need. it's not a fashion parade. change your mind set about what you wear
- if your boat is big enough, get a decent washing machine

cheers,
Old 15-06-2023, 13:46   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

That mostly depends on where you are cruising. We spend winters in bahamas and summers up and down the East coast. So typically we only need warm weather clothes, but run into cold weather a little in spring and fall.
In terms of volume of clothes, we brought way too many. We have a couple vacuum bags of extra t-shirts that had been at home. After 4 years, we have only used a few from storage.
For warm weather cruising I would say 4-6 or so everyday shirts, a couple dressier shirts. 3-5 pair of shorts, 1 or 2 pair of pants. A couple light long-sleeved and a couple light sweaters. Then underwear for a week or 2. Also at least 2 swim suits. That will get you through most situations easily. On-board laundry will even reduce those numbers a bit.
You will end up wearing swim suits a lot, and not really getting dirty outside of boat repairs. The biggest killer of clothes will be uv from hanging to dry.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2023, 13:57   #4

Well, It would help to know the range of cruising latitude wise.
I found for normally warm latitudes we took way too much clothes. You cant have enough shorts and T shirts! Socks optional but seldom worn. Lightweight shirt/jacket or hoodies are needed for evenings. Warm thick coat? Never used it Trinidad to Florida. But if you are headed to Canada or the Magellan Straights, that's different.

You find clothes get "well worn" fast though, so extras of what is useful is a good thing. Dirt, stains from food or fish blood, minimal washing opportunities, sun bleaching, they all take their toll on clothing. You fly home for a couple week's visit and quickly realize how bad your clothing you thought was still good is!
Hats. Lots of hats. You lose them often in the dingy, riding a horse to the volcano top or in the wind and etc.
Shoes are terrible quality in many of the off the path places. Take ones that are lightweight and can be worn barefoot or with "shortie socks". And take some extra maybe. You wont be needing your wingtips. Have good boat shoes and dont wear them ashore.

Not sure I ever wore a pair of jeans in the warmer latitudes. Light weight cloth is nicer.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2023, 14:06   #5

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

In the Sea of Cortez we needed warm clothes for January and February and really light clothes for most of the rest of the year except perhaps for Spring mornings. In French Polynesia, as noted in a previous post, super light and breathable clothing all year round.

As also as noted above, take way less than you think you might need. We have a 38' boat and locker space for clothing is limited.

In FP and in early summer in the Sea of Cortez I experienced one and two t-shirt days. The heat is impressive and can be oppressive. In FP, add humidity too.
Old 15-06-2023, 14:12   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 57

In the Caribbean I have a couple of polo shirts, those are my "formal wear" for events like clearing into & out of C&I and evening dinners. One nice set of long pants and and one long pants out of light material for dusk mozzie protection. One button-shirt for really formal occasions (only worn once in the past 5 years). Lots of T-Shirts in varying levels of decay and several sets of shorts. One set of shoes for the flight here and back, plus for hiking (this time, I brought some leather Iron Rangers). One set of all-purpose sandals for walking about and hiking (Tevas) and one set of flip-flops. Some socks and underwear, too.
There's really not much more needed. I have raingear and hats. One light sweater, but that's for the flights home and back here. I've been doing this for many years and have several items in the boat closet that haven't seen use in many years. I have a regimental tie that hasn't seen the light of day in 10 years
Old 15-06-2023, 14:28   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

Less than you think for a wider range of weather than you think.

There are places to do laundry. There are places to buy clothes.

I'm in the Great Lakes where it gets cold and hot. I bring 2-3 pair of jeans, several pair of convertible pants, 1 merino wool long underwear, and shirts, sweaters, and jackets that can be layered. Swimwear and a couple of rashguards. And a second pair of shoes. I "ranger roll" my clothes and things that I have more or less as reserve items I vacuum bag with desiccant.
Old 15-06-2023, 14:46   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hey, Chris,

Tell us where you plan to go. When Jim and i set out, we thought we'd circumnavigate, and we were leaving from San Francisco. In the tropics, I lived in swimsuit with a t shirt over for sun protection, swam that way too. The sun is really close to you on the equator. Bring one pair of shoes for dress up, one good outfit each, preferably of timeless design. But beyond that, a pair of flipflops or Crocs (for public showers, etc.), a pair of good walking shoes (I use cross trainers, now, but hiking boots then), and for women, one pair of dressy sandals.

You need a shirt with a collar and a pair of long pants for checking in at Customs, et al, and many places appreciate it if your good lady wears nice sandals and a modest, attractive dress when she accompanies you. On the boat, you can wear what you want, except in the places where thighs are considered extremely erotic, there, a wrap-around skirt to below the knees, will save your wife lascivious glances from local people, and I found A-line skirts with elastic waistbands useful. But mostly we lived in shorts and t-shirts in the tropics. A number of cruiser men took to wearing sulus in Tonga and Fiji. Once acclimatized there, we found New Zealand cold, and were glad we'd brought our Levis, warm shirts and polypro thermal underwear. Those guys were comfortable in t-shorts and shorts, and we were freezing! If you're going to Norway, you need to understand how they keep warm, and follow how they dress. There will be thrift shops there, if your budget won't stretch to new.

Most important, though, in my opinion, is having good foul weather gear.

Next important, follow Mark Twain's advice: bring more money and less clothes. Everywhere you go, there will be items to cover your nakedness.

Ann
Old 15-06-2023, 15:44   #9

Edit: ok rookie mistake!! We’re starting off in the UK and heading down to Portugal before crossing the Atlantic in November to the Caribbean, from there is anyone’s guess!

Thanks for all the great responses everyone!
Old 15-06-2023, 15:55   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 57

What one often forgets is that clothing can be purchased anywhere. Even in the furthest corners of the Caribbean islands you'll find stores with clothing. And it will generally be clothing that matches the local climate. And it'll cheap. It might not be fashionable back in Europe, but locally nobody will notice, or care.
Old 15-06-2023, 16:07   #11

Boat: Morgan 382

Darn near nothing. Bring enough to cover any possible weather events, you don't want to be in a storm at sea without appropriate clothes. So, one set of foul weather gear each. Other than that, maybe 3 sets of lightweight clothes each, and some extra underwear and socks. One set of swimwear each. That should last 7 days so you only do laundry once per week. No need to change daily. If you need more variety than that, buy clothes along the way and dispose of what you have to keep inventory minimal.
Each of you should be able to fit all your clothes in a medium travel bag, say about 30cm round by 90cm long.
Old 15-06-2023, 22:12   #12

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Don't forget a nice white linen suit with white shirt and tie and a Panama hat and white shoes.
You want to be able to present a respectable appearance to various port authorities.

I know, I've watched too many episodes of "Adventures in Paradise".
Old 16-06-2023, 00:18   #13

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Don't forget a nice white linen suit with white shirt and tie and a Panama hat and white shoes.
You want to be able to present a respectable appearance to various port authorities.

I know, I've watched too many episodes of "Adventures in Paradise".
Leave the Panama hat purchase until you get to Ecuador.

My wardrobe.
A weeks worth of half decent shore going kit. That lets you run stuff through the local laundry while still having something to wear when heading back to the laundry to pick it up.
Hats to keep the sun off your ears.
Warm head coverings that cover your ears.
Trecking shoes, sandals, a pair of Ugg Boots.
Jocks - for tropical sailing . Shorts optional ( I carry two pairs ) as only required if you have visitors.

If sailing south or north of the tropics ( ie 23º ) merino thermal legs and tops for night watches.

Socks.

WWG and fleece jacket.

Flanelette JimJams - OK I made that one up
Old 16-06-2023, 00:29   #14

Boat: Westerly Sealord

And also - I would never ever wear shorts ( english usage - not american usage ) ashore in a latin american country.
Old 16-06-2023, 02:15   #15

That’s an interesting tip. Why’s that?

Cheers...Chris

Tags
clothing