Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2011, 03:04   #16

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia
Re: "Honey, Let's Sell the House 'n Live on a Boat!" Three Weeks Later, Here We Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanaly View Post
great to hear - I live happily aboard, I put off buying for all my life until recenty because i felt yachts depreciate while properties rise. however I estimate that costs are less than mortgage/rent as you say. and the investment is tiny. a rule of thumb for upkeep is 10% of the (fair) value pa, which i think must be an average over the lifecycle. good luck !
It must be very clear to everyone by now that property is just the same as ANY investment or comodity, prices go up and prices go
D
O
W
N!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 03:44   #17

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)
Re: "Honey, Let's Sell the House 'n Live on a Boat!" Three Weeks Later, Here We Are

yes that too!
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 04:45   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

All of you are invited to attend my FREE seminar at West Marine, 3500 Barrancas, Pensacola, FL at 6PM Tuesday 27 September. Since that may be G U for many of you, we are videotaping. If it comes out good, we will make it available for you to view for free.

After 18 years living aboard, 9 years active cruising, it is much less expensive to liveaboard than to live on the "dirt".

Plus all of the other reasons.

Tom Vandiver, Cal 46 SATORI, Hull #3, launched 11/67, circumnavigated by the former owner of Jensen Marine, builder of Cal boats, Jack Jensen.
We bought her from Jack's estate 17 March 1982.
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 09:27   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcal46skipper View Post
My wife and I lived aboard our Cal 46 for 18 years. The happiest 18 years of our lives! We would still be living aboard and cruising, but my health issues have precluded that wonderful existence.

Some reasons for living aboard:
-Freedom. If you don't like your neighbors, move on. Don't like the cold, go south. Don't like the government, move to another country.

-Independence. Can you handle being free?

-Adventure. Exciting, entertaining and scary, at times.

-Family. Relationships aboard between family members improve. Well maybe not all the time. Listen to Eileen Quinn's songs about "Capable Cruisers"

-Green. Liveaboards are minimum consumers of energy and resources. Heating 400 SF of boat vs. 4,000 SF of house

-Healthy. Spiritually, emotionally and physically.

-Budget. It cost us much less to live aboard and cruise. We rarely spent over $1,000 a month when cruising. We anchor out, by choice. We met a family of four Canadians cruising their 30' steel hull sailboat in the Sea of Cortez in 1989 who were living on $275 a month. They ate a lot of fish, beans and rice, but were healthy and HAPPY!

Do it now!
hmmm..... I'm looking at your picture and the boat name Satori..... were you in the Sea in 85-86? I think I met you guys there in that time period. Probably in the bay there at Loreto... before they made it look like Ft Lauderdale! My Rawson 30 was named Looking Glass...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 09:45   #20
STG

Boat: Coronado 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcal46skipper View Post
All of you are invited to attend my FREE seminar at West Marine...... we are videotaping. If it comes out good, we will make it available for you to view for free........
How and when can we see the video?
STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 10:06   #21

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Best wishes. If you are going to do up the house this winter then keep it buyer friendly, pastels and so on, and since you can't take the furniture with you then consider what should be dumped now, and what can be sold with the house. Don't buy expensive stuff to dress the house though. Just make sure all the decorating is sound, chips bumps and holes filled, and probably worth getting inspections done on the electrics, gas, heating etc so you have the documentation to sell as 'No Known Faults'.
And get a small trailer or some of those big bags at the builders store for hauling all your excess possessions away to the tip.
But don't, do not, fall in love with your house again once you've smartened it up and got rid of all the clutter.
Old 29-09-2011, 10:12   #22

hum sound very good way to live
House for rent in quebec any taker lol
Now have to convince my girlfriend
fabrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 13:23   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I don't know "Shinola" about living in a house,- never owned one, but I've been living easy on my boat for forty years. I know of many that have much more money than I, but not many with more descretionary income. We balance our time between anchoring out and at docks. Sometimes we spend weeks away from shore. It's rare to find yourself spending money when you are not in contact with people.
Old 03-10-2011, 13:49   #24

Boat: Trojan F36, 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to bacon_n_legs

We're in Windsor, ON
bacon_n_legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 14:15   #25

Kudos to you! Decided to take my dream off the back burner and wade into the waters for good this summer! I, too, had looked at wooden hulls: Chris Crafts, Matthews as i love the beauty of wood. But lack of time to really bring it fo its former glory dayZ led me to a 30' fiberglass sailboat! Not as roomy as a tri-cabin but it's enough room for 1 person + a four legged JR down the road! With a diesel engine, more economical than my car! It's a pity my car costs more than my home now! Hopefully, that'll change. Who knows maybe, i can pick up a '69 stingray at Mecum one day for a song and dance.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's always good to dream....Priceless when it becomes a reality!
Don't stop boating!
ujk1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:05   #26

Thanks Shanaly.i live in perth W.A and are looking with my husband at buying a 22ft yacht. Where are the best, weather wise and financial wise, places to moore on our beautiful coast?
debsta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:21   #27

Boat: Jenneau - 27'
Mediterranean?

Hi

My fiancee and I are planning on selling everything and living aboard in 5 years, seems way too long. We are thinking of buying a very inexpensive boat to live in the Mediterranean for the first year, or so. We want to experience all the culture and different countries within short sailing distances.

Has anybody been there? Any advice or info. on mainas would be great.

Thanks
Shelly
shellywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 07:29   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce
I don't know "Shinola" about living in a house,- never owned one, but I've been living easy on my boat for forty years. I know of many that have much more money than I, but not many with more descretionary income. We balance our time between anchoring out and at docks. Sometimes we spend weeks away from shore. It's rare to find yourself spending money when you are not in contact with people.

I plan to sail off in to the sunset with my wife in three years. I will have a retirement income of about 1000 a month. My 36' ericson will be paid off with about $25,000 in the bank. Do you think I will be able to cruise on my income? We don't plan on living in marinas and plan to spend the first few years in the Caribbean. Any thoughts would be welcomed.
Thanks
Howard
Hwphysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 09:38   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: " Honey, Let's Sell the House 'n Live on a Boat !" Three Weeks Later, Here We Ar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwphysman View Post
I plan to sail off in to the sunset with my wife in three years. I will have a retirement income of about 1000 a month. My 36' ericson will be paid off with about $25,000 in the bank. Do you think I will be able to cruise on my income? We don't plan on living in marinas and plan to spend the first few years in the Caribbean. Any thoughts would be welcomed.
Thanks
Howard
I'm sure you can; however, there are budgeting choices to be made, as you said, regarding marinas and such. We are all subject to unforeseen events. I am currently away from my boat and back to Florida for a dental need that is sapping some unplanned dollars. Of course your 25K is the barometer. If you can head out for the first year and still have the 25K, you should succeed!
Old 18-05-2012, 11:15   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce

I'm sure you can; however, there are budgeting choices to be made, as you said, regarding marinas and such. We are all subject to unforeseen events. I am currently away from my boat and back to Florida for a dental need that is sapping some unplanned dollars. Of course your 25K is the barometer. If you can head out for the first year and still have the 25K, you should succeed!
I just read your profile. I have been teaching Chemistry and Physics for 25 years. Are your children sailors now?
Hwphysman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat