Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 09:28   #1

Heads-Solid waste backwashing

Hi everyone, Can anyone tell me if this is the correct operation for the head I have on board? We put in a new gasket in this fitting, in the picture, basically because it was not pulling fresh water in when pumping. Now the water pulls in fine, but when it is filled with solid waste, it comes back in and recirculates through the tiny holes at the inner edge of the rim where the fresh water is supposed to come in. It takes alot of pumping and stink to get it to clear. Which it finally does, but I keep thinking that this is not the way it was working before. At first when we replaced the gasket in the box next to the pump handle, it was very difficult to turn the lever to "dry" and it was very stiff. Now it seems to be less stiff, smooth actually, but the waste coming in with every pump when trying to flush feels wrong. He says it was always that way...I am just not sure...(feel like i am having a cartalk moment,,,lol) Help anyone?
Bodhi-Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:30   #2

Re: Heads-Solid waste backwashing

I tried to upload an image but it wants an URL, and the picture is on my computer drive, not a URL. If there is an easier way...?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:44   #3

Upload to an online picture site; and then link from there; I use pbase.com, but it has a fee. There are some free ones.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:59   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

click on go advance and then attach a file using the little padlock next to the smiley face.

But if you're recirculating poo, the seal on the piston is worn out. This should not happen.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:00   #5

Just go to advanced and clik on manage attachments. then clik on browse and find your picture. Finally clik on Upload.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:33   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

If its a Jabsco toilet it's because you did not read the instructions carefully enough when you were reassembling.

When you have taken the 6 screws out and removed the pump handle the change leaver will move.
When you reinstall the pump handle before you put the pump in that leaver must be to the LEFT, OPEN position

So unscrew it, pull the pump out a bit, flick the leaver back and forwards, make sure the gaskets etc are sitting correctly, then click the leaver to the left and holding the leaver to the left reinstall.

I hope this helps

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 16:36   #7

Thanks., It is a Groco, (i think that is it...) and we took it all apart again and replaced the duckbill valve and the flapper valve at the base and it did what it used to to (which was the original reason to tear it apart a few months ago) which is the problem of not pulling water in when you pump. Feels like it is in a perennial "dry" position. My sense is that there is a position that something needs to be in to put it all back together...like a valve or flap...Now as we tightened the bolts holding the pump fitting together, it cracked. and broke. dang. Now more complicated...