Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 08:02   #151

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36
Re: Giving up the ranch in Colorado and moving to a live aboard sailboat in the Keys

Maybe this works?
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 16:07   #152

Boat: Gulfstar sailmaster 47 ??
Send a message via Yahoo to sillybilly Send a message via Skype™ to sillybilly
Re: Giving up the ranch in Colorado and moving to a live aboard sailboat in the Keys

Yes it worked Thruska
sillybilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 20:26   #153

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

I left Boulder 30+ years ago and finally by way of California ended up on my boat near Everett, WA. I miss Colorado but every time I go back there I am amazed. What a zoo the front range has become. Since retirement I am a sometimes liveaboard and the only thing I really missed was my wood shop. That was solved by renting a storage space and converting it to what I needed. There I can store my out of season sporting goods. my books and things that I think I have to have and do a little wood work for my boat as needed. So far it has worked for me.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 20:45   #154

Sunseeker,
Thank you. I moved here from Philly and was a contractor there. But I having lived here do look forward to the next chapter. The people here are certainly different than the east coast.
Old 03-02-2014, 22:14   #155

Boat: Vancouver 27

I hope everything works out for you and your son! I watched the video of your ranch and it certainly looks idyllic. I lived in CO for many years and have been back for a few months here this winter. It's wonderful and I've missed all the mountains have to offer. But I would never trade up my boat to have it again

I agree with all who have said that cruising kids are a particularly bad-ass breed. Have yet to meet one that didn't impress. If you do buy a boat, just make sure you and the whipper snapper use it!! It's too easy not to.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:04   #156

Boat: Westsail 32

I read this entire thread, I think, I like Westcliffe, Boulder is 180 degrees away, in a cultural sort of way, I have cabin in Bailey, Co. I work in Afghanistan, live in Thailand and my boat is in Savannah, Ga. My Thai wife has an 11 year old boy from her Thai-X. Got my wife her green card in 2012, getting the boy his this year. I'm moving them both to Bailey when we get the green card for the boy. The reason I'm doing this is so he can get an education in the states. My wife completely understands the significance of this decision and is for it 100%. She has experienced the snow in the Rockies of Colorado, but not for an entire winter, that will be fun to watch, I hope you find your spot, another poster mentioned Southern California, after all it is called the left coast, but San Diego is a little more conservative than say San Fran, I agree that this might be a better place for you, but you have to make the call. If it were me, which it's not, I would not sell the place you have unless it were absolutely necessary, again your call. Westcliffe being a small town, it's kind of hard avoiding these people that you dislike, and then the boy growing up around these people is another negative. We'll take our boat to the Bahamas and beyond when the boy's not in school. I was wondering though, if you had been to Westcliffe before you bought the place, I mean, spent any time there to get a real feel for the place and the people that live in that area, maybe you said you had and I missed it in this thread. I wish you and your boy the best.

Sam
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:45   #157

Boat: IP 31' sloop

silly billy, who told you there were no property taxes in fl? I think they are high, but there are no income taxes.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:05   #158

Skipper,
There are no property taxes if you live on a boat , which I plan to do
Old 04-02-2014, 12:07   #159

SKG,
No I had not spent any quality time in Westcliffe before I bought . I had visited a few times and got the basic idea but when you are here long and actually see you starting more.
Savannah is pretty in the spring
Old 04-02-2014, 12:09   #160

Liaka,
The plan is that my son and I live on board. And perhaps sail to the Dry Tortugas on a weekend because he will be either in school or home schooled. I have always loved the sea and sailing but had thought I would try my equine side. It has not turned out the way I had hoped.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:10   #161

AHHHH I quick question,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I am hearing very differing amounts on what it costs to keep or live on a boat full time. Any thoughts or all thoughts everyone.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:10   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
Sunseeker,
Thank you. I moved here from Philly and was a contractor there. But I having lived here do look forward to the next chapter. The people here are certainly different than the east coast.
They're certainly different from Philly. Then again, so are the people in Key West. Get ready for some culture shock.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:14   #163

Lets Get,
I am not planning on living in party town Key West. I might go there for a visit and to eat great sea food . I have been there many times.
In some ways these extreme changes like Philly to Westcliffe and then the Keys is all about the experience and adventure and living.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:15   #164

Oh what the heck, Here is one of my property listings
Old 04-02-2014, 12:23   #165

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

About owning Real Estate, one of my retirement jobs was becoming a RE broker. And I have owned several pieces of RE. It seems to me that they all became a millstone about my neck. Or was it an albatross?

Now my solo kingdom is 32' and totally moveable. I love the feeling of a fresh breeze and being able to see a new horizon when ever I want it. I need it. I have to move. Perhaps it is in the genes, I have always been a rolling stone. Whenever I bought RE I was immediately tied down. My mother used to say "Sid, why can't you just settle down?"

Perhaps it is because I am 97% Irish, (the other 3% is Viking.) I know that because I have the Viking gene, it is in my hands.

So if you want my advice, sell the damn farm, get a boat, any ol boat and live, set your self free!!
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, sail, sailboat