Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2013, 10:12   #136

Boat: Gulfstar sailmaster 47 ??
Send a message via Yahoo to sillybilly Send a message via Skype™ to sillybilly
Re: Giving up the ranch in Colorado and moving to a live aboard sailboat in the Keys

I hope and pray I get out of here as beautiful as it is here and around you folks because the boating community seems and from my experience is more both social and shall I say buddy system oriented for lack of a better word at this moment. Anyway I hope I get to meet at least half of you. Thank you
sillybilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 11:43   #137

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Sillybill,

You are jaded in your current environment and I understand that. Been there. But you need to pull back on the reins a little and look around. You have a disease that a few adventurous souls have and you have to be careful. The beauty of the mountains, horses and ranch is what attracted you to the west. That has petered out for reasons you have described. Be aware that the cruising lifestyle may yield the same results for you. I too had to pull out of the most beautiful lifestyle imaginable. The snow capped mountains of British Columbia. Twenty head of horses. A rustic log cabin with many others in the mountains. I drank from a spring coming out of the mountains for 10 years. Water so pure it was white in color. Everyday was new and non repetitive. The wildlife would blow your mind. Moose, deer, elk, grizzly everywhere. Even in the yard. Fishing that would blow any resort away. Drop your line in and wham, nice trout for dinner. No one around. Very peaceful for the soul and to top things off I made a healthy 6 figure income taking people hunting in the fall for 2 months. I had it all. But I gave it all up for my 16 year old son. He had suffered enough with my selfish personal lifestyle. It was not a life for him. He did it because he loved me and wanted to please. It wasn't until I set aside my pure selfish desires and made changes with him as priority that things began to change. He now has A average in school and is going to a culinary university in Miami. I live for him until he can support himself and has a good start.
Old 27-10-2013, 11:51   #138

Re: Giving up the ranch in Colorado and moving to a live aboard sailboat in the Keys

Cowboy,
My son was sent to me from Germany because he was running away from home cutting himself and threatening suicide. Now he is playing guitar, in the top 80 percentile in school ( I went to the parent teacher conference last week) and getting A's-2 or 3 B's-2'3 and c's-2. I hear you yet I wish for him since he came from Germany to have more cultural diversity. I was a sailor and loved it back east.
Visually here is beautiful . Peaceful and not expensive except travel distances. BUT
Will this website allow me to post this video of where I live??????/
Old 27-10-2013, 11:52   #139

Cowboy,
I know the grass is not greener if I move just different and most likely nicer and a better social group
Old 27-10-2013, 13:24   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
Cowboy,
I know the grass is not greener if I move just different and most likely nicer and a better social group
The term "nicer" only lies in the eye of the beholder. Lets assume for a minute that it is. What I am really hearing you say is that Father and Son are starving for some positive social interaction. Maybe a lady friend for Dad and some level headed, non crack head friends for Son as a 1st priority and some fun cruising, sailing activities as a second priority. Let me ask you a personal question. You mention lack of work/income on the ranch. Is the ranch paid for and if it isn't, are mortgage payments an issue due to the lack of work in your remote environment? If the answer is yes, then we have no choice to sell the farm and I can understand that.
Old 27-10-2013, 13:26   #141

Cowboy,
I bought the ranch CASH.
And the rest of your writing is so funny but OH how I agree
Old 27-10-2013, 13:31   #142

I am trying to offer suggestions where you can keep the ranch, which is paradise by the way, and move onto a boat in a "good" location so you guys can get the social parts back in your life and not lose everything if something doesn't work out.
Old 27-10-2013, 13:40   #143

If it were me, I would keep the ranch if you love it, buy a boat in San Diego for $20-$30k. Slip will cost you $500-$600 in a very nice marina. Lots of opportunity for you to find a job in that big city. Son goes to a good school and chapter 3 begins. Trade up boats as the income comes in. I would stay away from Florida and Jimmy Buffetville. San Diego is perfect. Really.
Old 27-10-2013, 14:14   #144

Cowboy,
The stocks need a relief and so I would sell this property to improve cash flow. I take it you have reservations about Florida
Old 27-10-2013, 15:11   #145

I don't mind Florida. Grew up in the east and was first exposed to palm trees in FL. Once I moved west and experienced the same with no bugs and no humidity I was hooked. I just think Southern California would be a better place for your son than key west and marathon. Someone else mentioned Tampa and that would be better than south Florida.
Old 27-10-2013, 15:16   #146

We'll see if it all comes together.. I like the Keys and have camped there many times and went to summer camp there in the 60's but yes things have changed. I like that there are places to sail to from the Keys
Old 27-10-2013, 18:34   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
I am adding this. I would love to find a single member of the opposite sex sailor to maybe join this future crew and adventure.
That also happens to be a teacher no doubt.
samsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 18:41   #148

Sam,
No does not have to be a teacher just shall I say business partner in this venture. Two people who have hopefully an affection for one another working together for a common goal. Adventure, happiness and compassion and caring ,,,,,, hopefully
Old 01-02-2014, 07:48   #149

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Aha, found the post. I hope this works in reply.... I had to re- login to post reply. Whats with that?
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:53   #150

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viturina View Post
Hi - so I don't know if this would be of interest to you or not, but what I've been doing for the past 22 years is partnering with people to create either full time income (with benefits) or part time income so that people can live aboard, or travel, or do whatever they want to do with their time. You can pm me at jenhagemann@mac.com if you want more details.
Yeesch, I think this might work. I have never had such difficulty navigating a website and forums as this one!!!
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, sail, sailboat