Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 23:34   #31

Re: Full Time Cruising ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Come up with a plan. How hireable will you be at age 60? Try sailing or living aboard while working and see if you even like it. Keep working and put together a nestegg.
That's what I'm doing. I'm 47, took care of my responsibilities (kids - you can run from them, but they'll find you), sold ALL my stuff, bought a simple boat, moved aboard.
The next 12 months is working part-time, sailing and tinkering with the boat. Going out in increasingly bad weather to hone skills.
The goal is to sail away in a year, with a well found boat, skills necessary to sail and maintain her, a modest cash stash, and teaching qualifications, as well as some part-time work-from-home (boat) jobs.

And who doesn't need a passport?!
Some of this planet's most interesting places are well outside the USA, you know...
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:11   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

[QUOTE=Cheechako;1411612]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Medical/dental care can be a bargain the third world. I often wonder what happens if you need something big though.... major surgury etc. My gut says those with the money live, those that dont dont get much help but comfort....?
i will answer this in 2 parts

first part is major surgery -- admiral had major hand surgery in Cartangena, Colombia by a hand surgeon with a teaching orthopedic surgeron as an assistant as we went to the ortho guy first and he spoke english and the hand guy did not - the only pre tests done was some blood work - not 27 tests to keep the lawyers at bay - the cost of the surgeon was $1,500 USD and total cost was about $2200 including physical therpy - and you not even tell where she was cut on - oh the ortho guy did all the follow up and dressing changes ect - she got a quote in the USA and just the surgeon was over $10k not including the hospital and all the tests and pt --
the captain blew out his knee again (2 knee surgeries & a lot of ortho docs over the years) in st lucia on the way south and hobbled into an ortho clinic in trinidad and the exam was immediate and after all was done turned out the tore his miniscus - 3 options were given including surgery and he chose option rest and exercise - it worked and a follow up was all positive - cost less than 200 USD
the captain also had 3/4 of the left side of his nose removed due to a cancerous growth (non maligant) at a private hospital in trini - went for exam and was cut on the same day - the cost was about $1200USD and it was a plastic surgeon and even docs comment on the how great it looks -

Now PART 2 -- those locals that do not have hard dollars -- all get treated eventually and the key word is eventually - hard dollars = treatment now -
in colombia when we went for follow up visits we went to the orthos clinic at a teaching facility with a bunch of interns around -- we walked in and the place was packed with standing room only -- we walked to the desk to check in and as we did an intern walked in tapped us on the shoulder and lead us back to the exam room ahead of all the others who were waiting and were paying via some government plan -
the same in almost all countries we have been in - there is medical care for everyone but the waits are long and the quaility may vary depending on the $$ you have -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:48   #33

Boat: Skookum 53'

That is a hard fact of life, if you have currency you have an advantage. Some areas of the world you need less cash to have a big advantage.
On the rest; self sufficiency is the way to go, it is all about what, and who you know. Also being a decent human being along the way helps greatly. If you see someone that needs a hand why not lend it? You never know how it may come back to you, and if it never does, then the reward is you are a better person for the giving.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:32   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Full Time Cruising ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
That is a hard fact of life, if you have currency you have an advantage. Some areas of the world you need less cash to have a big advantage.
On the rest; self sufficiency is the way to go, it is all about what, and who you know. Also being a decent human being along the way helps greatly. If you see someone that needs a hand why not lend it? You never know how it may come back to you, and if it never does, then the reward is you are a better person for the giving.
Aint that the truth..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:52   #35

WOW! I never expected to see so many responses, but I respect and welcome all opinions.
If I were to pick out and respond to each and every individual poster I would be here for a lot longer than I could possibly afford at this time
I see a few of you have an ability to see inside the lines, not just between them. But we wont talk about that at this time (any shrinks on board lol)
There is no doubt that hard times will be had sooner or later. When that happens I will face them head on, after all, it is my decision in the end to do this.
Those of you that are living on a lot less of a budget than others definitely have provided the answers that I really already know (don't depend on anyone but myself and use all my resources to survive )
Those with a better means of income well, you kind of get to kick back a little bit more All in all, everyone here seems to be happy no mater what means or type of sailing they do. That is one thing I can definitely read in here. I almost cant wait until I cross some of your paths. I know its impossible to meet all of you, but look forward to trying
I have a lot of learning, thinking planning and soul searching to do ahead of me, but one thing is for sure; Once I make up my mind, I usually get what I want, not to sound egotistical, but I am stubborn and push forward when I want it. I'm that stubborn. But I don't let it interfere with learning from those with more knowledge than me. It does mean though, that although I mean no harm to anyone else, I going to do it my way in the end. (sounds like what I did to my parents as a kid lol) In the end to keep this a bit short (haha) I will be out there doing the best I can with what I will have. Just getting there will be decided on how fast and semi-smart I can do it. Even with my own life experiences, I usually go half cocked in everything I do. And with me knowing me like I do I just got to do what makes me happy. Right? For in the end, isn't life to short not to be?
OK, I know, I'm just rambling here and I'll go away; until the next time
Again, Thank you to Everyone
Thoughts, criticisms and any responses are always welcome.
Frank
Life of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 16:23   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hopefully this is of some use...
BM61 - This was a really helpful response... kudos
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising