Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2018, 12:07   #1

First Boat and Its a live aboard!

I'm still on the hunt for my boat. Looking for a boat around 38ft priced under the 50k mark that's blue water capable. From my small amount of experience and the research I've done I do believe I'd prefer a full keel with a poured ballast. I'd just like some recommendations on what people think and give me a direction. There's so many boats to look at I'm finding it a tad overwhelming. Any help is appreciated.
BobbyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 13:18   #2

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: First Boat and Its a live aboard!

First off, have fun in the search! Personally, I'd advise against getting too particular with a certain make or model of craft. There are a lot of good boats out there and a lot of them will do what you want. It's such a personal choice and, if you don't have much experience on cruising boats, it's difficult to know just what it is you're looking for. Take it slow and be patient. Get on some boats. Except for the cult classics, it's very much a buyer's market.

If you give some more detailed info on what you're looking for and what you're looking to do I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 15:02   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bobby-
You are more likely to find the phrase "encapsulated ballast". It often is not "poured" into the vessel at all, but cast and then dropped in before the deck is put on.
Expect that in that size and price, you'll have to throw another $25k at it to get any boat truly offshore capable. But, that's also more of a matter of the crew's competency, not the boat these days.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 09:09   #4

Ya I plan to live aboard her while working and when jobs finish I'll go until the money runs out. Love to start with a run down the coast into the Sea of Cortez.
BobbyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat