Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 12:11   #1

Escape to the Sea?

How realistic is it to be able to liveaboard for years on end without being mainly tied up in a marina?

I'm thinking more along the lines of continuous cruising, even if that means spending periods at an anchorage or even drifting in the middle of an ocean/sea, inbetween the inevitable trips to shore for provisions and maintenance.

Is it feasible to be able to avoid the bad weather (through careful route planning and maybe choosing a suitable starting point) to make it enjoyable/safe to stay out for so long, or will it be inevitable at some point to need to seek shelter in a harbour/marina for more than a few days/weeks?

I suppose the obvious solution for a long cruise is circumnavigation, but I imagine that requires years of experience in bad/really bad conditions to be able to pull it off as there isn't a route that ensures mostly good weather?
NorthPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:38   #2

It's very doable....if "at sea" means also at anchor.... you dont have to circumnavigate. Head toward the equator for hurricane season and head north in the off season.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:59   #3

Boat: Boatless
We only go into marinas when we have a pressing need, we are having some elecronics fitted at the moment, otherwise we don't spend a day a month in a marina; we have just spent 3 weeks 'on the hook' in Grenada.

Bad weather is hard to avoid totally but we have seen no more than 30-35 knots for the last 8 months between Charleston SC and Trinidad.
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote