Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 02:19   #1

engine oil type for Volvo D2 40

Can anyone advise me on thr engine oil I should use on my Volvo D2 40. The manual says. VDS-2, ACEA E5, API CH-4. SAE 15W/40 SAE 20W/50.
I have looked at numerous types and cant find that spec.
I am mainly cruising in Algarve and south of there
noblewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:29   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

On almost all Diesels a good quality 15W-40 Diesel oil will work fine, in almost all climate conditions most are going to cruise.
Pick a quality Diesel oil that is available in your area, many use Shell Rotella and it’s usually among the most widely available, but of course I don’t know about where you are, availability is in my opinion an important consideration.

Many specifications are old and have been replaced by newer specs that cover the old spec, but it won’t say that on the container.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:39   #3

Re: engine oil type for Volvo D2 40

Thanks for that info, however do I choose synthetic, semi synthetic, or mineral.
noblewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 14:17   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It’s my belief that your better served with straight mineral and change oil more often.
Synthetics are excellent oils don’t get me wrong and if you had a turbo and ran the engine very hard, then maybe you would be better with synthetic, but most of us don’t and we usually run out motors at mid RPM.
Now you will find as many opinions on that as to what makes a beautiful Woman beautiful.

You can’t go wrong with synthetic, just you may be paying a lot more for oil you don’t need, and don’t get it thinking it’s so good that you can extend change intervals, cause I believe that’s a mistake in our little Diesels
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 14:47   #5

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Re: engine oil type for Volvo D2 40

Rotella is good (I use it), as is Mobil Delvac and Chevron Delo. Most manufacturers have a heavy duty diesel engine oil that meets both SAE and European requirements. Current SAE classification for diesels is CJ-4, which is backwards compatible.

One thing I have noticed is that straight mineral oil is being replaced by semi-synthetic or synthetic blends. I have changed over to synthetics and have been pleased to find quicker starting and improved oil pressure as a result. You may find fewer choices if limited to non-synthetic oil, at least in some locations.

I am sure that among Elf, Total, Castrol, etc., you will find an equivalent.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, oil, volvo