Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2016, 10:41   #106

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS
Re: Cruising in your mid-50's stories - did it happen/didn't it happen?

I am 66 yo, semi- retired and able to work on line. I bought my first sailboat in June although I have been sailing all my life. I have taken many courses , done a flotilla with the wonderful OffShore Sailing School ( sailed with Fatty Goodlander ) and then with somewhat less than you have stated as a kitty proceeded over a three year period to research, inspect and finally buy a boat. The boat is actually larger than I planned but the price was less than the smaller boats I was looking at (45 DS). I found a boat that had been lightly chartered and got great marks from a very competent surveyor. I have replaced the standard rigging, stopcocks thru hulls, ad electronic and the boat is almost ready to sail. I am waiting for a new jib as recommended. I will be a live aboard in a marina initially while I learn the boat. Be methodical :Every journey proceeds logically, one step at a time with the initial idea and inspiration. Make sure you love to sail and can deal with tight quarters. Then educate yourself in a way that is comfortable. Read information from the Forum and West Marine on line and look at the youtube sailing blogs to see what others are experiencing. It is definitely doable.
Good luck, fair winds, following seas!
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:47   #107

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Turning 55 this year, just bought a pocket cruiser that will be my new home when I repatriate to the US next year after having lived abroad for abroad for 20+ years by then. Have no living family, no children, nothing in the way of family ties back in the States. Born in California, grew up in Louisiana, Naval career had me living in San Diego, San Francisco, Norfolk VA, Honduras, Germany, London, Antartica, with a few trips in between to areas where tourists from the States just ain't welcome (Liberia, Iraq, Somalia).

So, cruising at 55...Got no place to go in the States but I feel that it is time for me to come home....but have no home to come home too, nobody waiting for me, and no particular place that I have to be. So bought a boat. (Oh, BTW, I work in the boat and yacht repair industry. Retired USN as well.) Plan to be coastal cruising in the Ches Bay and then once I regain confidence in my skills head south to Florida and then over to the Louisiana Gulf coast and want to head inland and see some of of the old stomping grounds of my youth.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:58   #108

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
Turning 55 this year, just bought a pocket cruiser that will be my new home when I repatriate to the US next year after having lived abroad for abroad for 20+ years by then. Have no living family, no children, nothing in the way of family ties back in the States. Born in California, grew up in Louisiana, Naval career had me living in San Diego, San Francisco, Norfolk VA, Honduras, Germany, London, Antartica, with a few trips in between to areas where tourists from the States just ain't welcome (Liberia, Iraq, Somalia).

So, cruising at 55...Got no place to go in the States but I feel that it is time for me to come home....but have no home to come home too, nobody waiting for me, and no particular place that I have to be. So bought a boat. (Oh, BTW, I work in the boat and yacht repair industry. Retired USN as well.) Plan to be coastal cruising in the Ches Bay and then once I regain confidence in my skills head south to Florida and then over to the Louisiana Gulf coast and want to head inland and see some of of the old stomping grounds of my youth.
Sounds like a great plan, wish you the best!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising