Up To $1,000 17 22.37%
Up To $1,500 12 15.79%
Up To $2,000 15 19.74%
Up To $2,500 4 5.26%
Up To $3,000 9 11.84%
Up To $4,000 19 25.00%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2021, 14:52   #61

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: Cost To Live On Board? Poll

I voted up to $4,000 even though my longest run was only a month, so no real numbers to draw from. There are a couple of regular posters who list their expenses and I found it is easy to compare what I might spend more or less than they do.

I think I would spend at least $4,000pm, probably up to $5,000 but we would be treating 6 months on the boat as a holiday and not so much like full time live aboard which would be a very different rate of spend.

I think it would be possible to do it for very little if needed but I'd guestimate $2,000 would be my lower end number.
Old 26-12-2021, 21:58   #62

Boat: Cheoy Lee 46' LRC Trawler

Short answer = create your own spreadsheet / budget.

Longer answer = A great many of the basics that you would include in a land-lubber / household budget will be the same but a few will have different names. Rent = Moorage
House maintenance = Boat maintenance

There are far more opportunities to live very cheaply on a boat as compared to on land, i.e. you can anchor out, you can fish for your own food, and it's a lot easier to "change neighborhoods" if you don't like where you live or it's too expensive.

For those of us that still must work for a living one of the more challenging things can be to adapt your work life to boat life. But it's doable for most in some fashion. And then there's always just starting a new career that is taylored to the boat life.

Good luck and fair winds.
DieselTrawlerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 10:36   #63

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Marinas and their associated shops and restaurants are clearly the difference doubling the spend compared to those who cruise and anchor.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 10:53   #64

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Marinas and their associated shops and restaurants are clearly the difference doubling the spend compared to those who cruise and anchor.
I can't see people including entertainment on a spread sheet for cruising. That is a personal preference not a cruising expense. Also, on the flip side I don't see things like haul outs amortized by some.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 11:03   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I can't see people including entertainment on a spread sheet for cruising. That is a personal preference not a cruising expense. Also, on the flip side I don't see things like haul outs amortized by some.
Thats why I said $4k to $10k ... a blown transmission (with very difficult access) and a damper plate that disintegrates half way across the Gulfstream with marina time can put a large dent in your monthly expenses. Even worse if yard time and haulout are required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Damper plate smashed.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	250328   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2512 (2).JPG
Views:	76
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	250329  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Transmission rebuild.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	250330  
Old 27-12-2021, 11:52   #66
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Really

Far as I am considered I live and cruise on my boat full time. EVERYTHING I spend doing it is a cruising expense for me!

How about food? Should only beans and rice get included in the costs? How about communication costs as who needs a cell phone? Where does it end?

Leaving stuff out is just the popular "not counting" method. Everything should be included in a cruising costs spread sheet, but if you are going to share it for info it needs enough info that people can sort it.

The question most are asking isn't "how much does it cost to cruise", it is "how much does it cost to cruise AND LIVE on a boat"
Old 27-12-2021, 13:38   #67

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

Everything is included in my monthly number, because it encompasses all we do. That includes the limited paid entertainment (which isn't very much).
Old 27-12-2021, 15:02   #68

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I didn't mean ruffle anybody's feathers. It was just an observation of what some people had included or didn't as the cost of living aboard. I can only hope someone considering living aboard gives it careful scrutiny. It isn't a Capt. Ron walk in the park nor something undoable. If an attempt fails it could be costly.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 12:27   #69

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Everything included in ours
Every litre of beer, every litre of diesel, every litre of paint, every grain of rice.
Not sure how much actually spent on each individual thing

But easy enough to work out average cost per month
XXXXX amount of $ coming in each year
XXX amount of $ going out
Maths
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 12:55   #70
Marine Service Provider

Some years back ... I think around 1999, two guys at our Ontario yacht club headed to the Bahamas for the winter. When they came back, one guy told me he'd spent $8k (Gulfstar 43 trawler) the other said he'd spent $160k (Tiara 52). I know the Tiara guy well and do not doubt his numbers.

You'll spend whatever you've got.
Old 29-12-2021, 22:03   #71

Boat: TBD

Based on what I have read here and in other forums, also from searching through countless blogs, YouTube and podcasts I should theoretically be fine. What I was SHOCKED to learn was just how many people take off with just what cash they have in the bank and NO residual income to speak of.
Fishigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 03:03   #72

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I think the ones who take off with just savings are mostly in it for the short term. They plan to go until the money is gone and then back to work. Which is what a lot of cruisers used to do "back in the day."

I'm not pining for the old days but it was simpler 30 plus years ago. There weren't as many ongoing costs, such as cell phones and such. Electronics drive some of the cost of cruising, along with port fees and such - which have also increased over the years. People really seem to worry/need/plan for medical coverage too, which as we all know has really risen in cost.

If you're at the age where going back to work isn't part of the plan, then yeah we definitely need to make sure our green duckies are where we want them.

Old 30-12-2021, 16:10   #73

4 months full time liveaboard life now. All this mainly because I am houseless and my van had major breakdown due to contaminated fuel! Luckily I had my 1970 9m sailing cat so I am not homeless.
I have actually saved money as I have no fuel bill's for my van.
Stayed in marina in Maryborough River for two weeks but rest of the time on anchor in Tin Can Bay or at Noosa River.
Occasional shopping trips done with bus, dinghy or using taxi.
The transport costs are still much cheaper than with my van life.
If I was living in a house, I would be struggling with my pension.
I have not calculated costs and any savings are invested on maintenance and improvements of my cat.
Insurance is about $100 a month, fuel for boat and dinghy about $50 and anchoring free last month. Food is the usual. I do not really know how much but I am gluten free and prefer healthy than cheap food.
Happy New Year fellow liveaboards from Australia.Click image for larger version

Name:	20211031_132921.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	250543
Stellar1970Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 18:59   #74

Boat: TBD

Well, I'm one step closer, we took our sailing classes and got our ASA certifications for 101 & 103 a few weeks ago. Garage sale is next month, house goes up for sale in Aug/Sept then it is a matter of purchasing the boat. In the mean time we are getting a little cheap 22' boat just to train on not live on.
The one thing we are trying to figure out now is mail and VA stuff. I would assume we would kind of need to make someplace a "homeport", does that make sense? To get mail and be able to go to the VA when needed? I think we have figured we would like to spend the bulk of our time in the Caribbean, Atlantic Coast and Gulf Coast.
Fishigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 19:12   #75
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishigan View Post
Well, I'm one step closer, we took our sailing classes and got our ASA certifications for 101 & 103 a few weeks ago. Garage sale is next month, house goes up for sale in Aug/Sept then it is a matter of purchasing the boat. In the mean time we are getting a little cheap 22' boat just to train on not live on.
The one thing we are trying to figure out now is mail and VA stuff. I would assume we would kind of need to make someplace a "homeport", does that make sense? To get mail and be able to go to the VA when needed? I think we have figured we would like to spend the bulk of our time in the Caribbean, Atlantic Coast and Gulf Coast.
The main stuff you should be learning is this ...
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection

Tags
poll