Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2018, 14:57   #211

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Composting toilet: rules, regulations, and "real life" use etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
It is a lot easier to justify when your wife gives you an ultimatum

Ah... Wiser words were never spoken ;-)

Sounds like an interesting, and very doable project. Do keep us posted.
Old 18-07-2018, 14:58   #212

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:

My wish list so far:

- the liquid storage container can be easily lifted out of the boat and carried by one person (prob 5-gallon jerry can)
You've just described the urine container that comes with the Nature's Head composting toilet!

Raindog, I would suggest you try out the composter for a while before you make any modifications. I think you'll find that these so-called "problems" are not problems at all.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 15:04   #213
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dunno, Mike. I was just trying to help a friend avoid a quagmire [pun intended] when I found some Colorado rules.

Sometimes I start to wonder if an Incinolet mightn't be worth all the effort it would take to feed its power needs. What a bear can do in the woods, shouldn't be such a problem for people.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 15:43   #214
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Can't see that holding up when diapers and dog poo bags are regularly being tossed.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 16:02   #215

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:

My wish list so far:

I am also considering just running the liquids to the holding tank, but that involves a long run of tubing and, most likely, a pump. I still might go this route for simplicity.
=======================================
just a thought,
part of the smelling hoses on the holding tanks systems can be attributed to the urine component,when the hoses going to the holding tank start to loose the integrity urine crystals seem to be part of the offensive odors.
That is why ruled out using the tank.
on the bladder option need to do some more research as to how "smell tight" they are.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 16:05   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
You've just described the urine container that comes with the Nature's Head composting toilet!

Raindog, I would suggest you try out the composter for a while before you make any modifications. I think you'll find that these so-called "problems" are not problems at all.
Two differences: 1) Natures head bottle is only 2 gallons and 2) Natures head is $1000 my homemade composter is about 1/4 of that.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 16:10   #217

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Dunno, Mike. I was just trying to help a friend avoid a quagmire [pun intended] when I found some Colorado rules.

Sometimes I start to wonder if an Incinolet mightn't be worth all the effort it would take to feed its power needs. What a bear can do in the woods, shouldn't be such a problem for people.

I get it ... laws are written to address the lowest common denominator. I wouldn't be surprised if similar laws or regs exist in many jurisdictions. In Ontario, where I spent the last six years with my composter, the strict letter of the law says they are illegal.

There's the law, and then there's rationality. The two don't necessarily overlap.
Old 18-07-2018, 16:11   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
just a thought,
part of the smelling hoses on the holding tanks systems can be attributed to the urine component,when the hoses going to the holding tank start to loose the integrity urine crystals seem to be part of the offensive odors.
on the bladder option need to do some more research as to how "smell tight" they are.
The main difference to me is that if you are only pushing liquids through the hose, you can use 1/4 inch urinary tubing from the medical supply store and replace it every six months for a couple of dollars.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 16:12   #219
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
just a thought,
teaspoon or two of sugar takes care of the urine smell.just put it in after you empty the jug .
I do it every time and no smell.
Old 19-07-2018, 15:58   #220

Boat: Marples 37

Quote:
on the issue of urine,toying with the idea of diverting to a small container,bladder? and then pump out using either of the now extra valves now I have from old head.
I believe there are 5 gallons tanks? bladder?or could be any suitable little tank connected to the regular provided?

I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread but probably worth repeating. Doing this mod changes the status of the composting head from a portable to a fixed head which I think negates one of the advantages of having a composting head.
CGirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 16:08   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGirvan View Post
I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread but probably worth repeating. Doing this mod changes the status of the composting head from a portable to a fixed head which I think negates one of the advantages of having a composting head.
Actually respectfully disagree,nothing really changes except when the urine container is full a simple hand pump attached and using the old intake not longer and placed right there ,8 inches away from the "throne"used takes care of the urine instead of having to carry the jug,but each one its own and whatever works for you great,I am very unsteady and prefer to pump it right there than taking it overboard.
Again,each one its own.
take care
Old 19-07-2018, 16:10   #222
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGirvan View Post
Not necessarily it would take a long time to fill a 15 to 20 gallon holding tank with urine. Also if you use a small transfer pump like an oil change pump you could empty it into 5 gallon containers quite easily for shore side disposal .
But yes it would negate the recovering of the storage area taken by the tank.
If done to a 5 or so gallon bladder taking then you would have something going.
Old 19-07-2018, 16:12   #223
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Actually respectfully disagree,nothing really changes except when the urine container is full a simple hand pump attached and using the old intake not longer and placed right there ,8 inches away from the "throne"used takes care of the urine instead of having to carry the jug,but each one its own and whatever works for you great,I am very unsteady and prefer to pump it right there than taking it overboard.
Again,each one its own.
take care
issue is you can't always just pump it over the side.
Old 19-07-2018, 16:16   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Not necessarily it would take a long time to fill a 15 to 20 gallon holding tank with urine. Also if you use a small transfer pump like an oil change pump you could empty it into 5 gallon containers quite easily for shore side disposal .
But yes it would negate the recovering of the storage area taken by the tank.
If done to a 5 or so gallon bladder taking then you would have something going.
======================================

to clarify,am not talking about a holding tank as we have traditionally known,if and that is a big if,can find a small may be 5-10 gallons little bladder just seating right by the old valve I think will work (for me)
the bladder will empty using the old thru hull under the water line,and if cannot be empty over the side same apply to pumping out,I am not about breaking the rules of a particular local area.
If am in a non discharge area,not matter what system been used,is a big NO.
Old 19-07-2018, 16:18   #225

Boat: Marples 37

Quote:
Again,each one its own.
take care

I would like to think you are correct. I don't have the regulations in front of me but I thought that the reason the composting head fell under the status that it does is because it doesn't have any permanent outputs to thruhulls.
CGirvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, regulations, rule