Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2018, 03:53   #196

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: Composting toilet: rules, regulations, and "real life" use etc.?

to the AH "gurus"

need to decide where to vent.
Have a dorade vent and feel is a pity to void a nice ventilation setup for the head area,any ideas on how to vent the unit?
thanks
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:39   #197

I recently installed a Nature’s Head and ran the vent line forward to the chain locker. My chain locker has a hatch above it, and I installed a solar fan in the hatch. Seems to be working well.
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:23   #198

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
to the AH "gurus"

Have a dorade vent and feel is a pity to void a nice ventilation setup for the head area,any ideas on how to vent the unit?
thanks
I used the existing deck waste evacuation fitting for the old holding tank. I replaced the hatch with a mushroom vent and ran the vent hose up to it.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 16:58   #199

Boat: Creekmore 34

Quote:
to the AH "gurus"

thanks
We also have a dorade vent in our head. We routed the exhaust hose to exit through the dorade. You aren't really giving up any ventilation. In fact, it becomes positive rather than passive ventilation with the fan pushing the air out the dorade. You are actually drawing MORE air out of the head than you would otherwise be pushing through with the passive dorade vent. It's just that the air has to go through the unit on its way out, but there is still an amazing exchange of air.

We've been using this setup full time for 8 years and it works great. The only compensation we make is that we point the dorade aft (we are at anchor nearly always) so the down draft doesn't overpower the fan.
Simply Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 23:02   #200

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop
pirate Re: Composting toilet: rules, regulations, and "real life" use etc.?

I'm going on year 4 with my C-head I would never go back to the nasty-smelly holding tank and pump out routine... it is amazing how much easier it is to maintain.
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 10:52   #201

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

if one could find a way to evaporate urine(like in a fan driven hot, clear tube in the Sun), I wonder how fast the water(in the urine), will evaporate, and i wonder how much longer a person might stay offshore until needing to dispense with a sort of "powder"?
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 11:09   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
if one could find a way to evaporate urine(like in a fan driven hot, clear tube in the Sun), I wonder how fast the water(in the urine), will evaporate, and i wonder how much longer a person might stay offshore until needing to dispense with a sort of "powder"?
If you are offshore, just dump it over the side.
If you are at a marina, any shoreside toilet works.

An evaporation system just adds complications.

The problem with evaporation is urine has a lot of dissolved minerals. Any evaporation system needs lots of surface area exposed to the air (a sealed tube isn't going to work). Also, it would need regular cleaning to remove the mineral buildup.

What are you hoping to accomplish?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 11:13   #203
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Not to mention the smell
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 12:25   #204

Quote:

Sun Mar makes units that evaporate the liquids instead of diverting them. As I understand it, they use a combo of active venting and heating. Uses a lot more energy, but I assume it works ok.

A lot easier to divert and dump the liquids.
Old 18-07-2018, 12:37   #205

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

on the issue of urine,toying with the idea of diverting to a small container,bladder? and then pump out using either of the now extra valves now I have from old head.
I believe there are 5 gallons tanks? bladder?or could be any suitable little tank connected to the regular provided?
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 12:42   #206
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
offshore just dump over the side

Why keep trying to reinvent the wheel.
It works as is .
Old 18-07-2018, 12:55   #207
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

While I don't think many of us will be sailing in Colorado...I came across their state regulations about composting toilets. They're allowed (sometimes) but when allowed, even then the waste "humus" cannot be dumped in the trash. It must be transferred to a licensed sanitary waste disposal service, i.e. you've got to call the porta-potty company or the pumpout boat or whoever else is in the sewage business. Regardless of how well composted and how thoroughly finished it is.

I have no idea how many other states, municipalities, or nations have similar regulations. Just to say "throw it in the trash bin" may be a practical way to deal with it, but don't assume that'll be legal.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 14:13   #208

Quote:
on the issue of urine,toying with the idea of diverting to a small container,bladder? and then pump out using either of the now extra valves now I have from old head.
I believe there are 5 gallons tanks? bladder?or could be any suitable little tank connected to the regular provided?
We are about to buy a new boat. We are going to install a system much like this. I will post construction details and how well it works once we have it installed.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 14:41   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
We are about to buy a new boat. We are going to install a system much like this. I will post construction details and how well it works once we have it installed.

I'll be interested to hear how things go. I've considered setting up some sort of urine discharge using my still-existing head outflow thruhull. But so far I can't justify the bother of doing this vs just the simplicity of just dumping the bucket every two to three days.

Interesting info on Colorado HS. What do the laws say about dumping used diapers or feminine hygiene products? I assume these are also banned. They are far more dangerous than what comes out of my composter.
Old 18-07-2018, 14:50   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
so far I can't justify the bother of doing this vs just the simplicity of just dumping the bucket every two to three days.
It is a lot easier to justify when your wife gives you an ultimatum

My wish list so far:

- the liquid storage container can be easily lifted out of the boat and carried by one person (prob 5-gallon jerry can)
- all tubing can be replaced easily and cheaply (so I can replace it twice a year)
- (hopefully) works on gravity

I am also considering just running the liquids to the holding tank, but that involves a long run of tubing and, most likely, a pump. I still might go this route for simplicity.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, regulations, rule