Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2017, 11:54   #1

Boat: Tartan 37
Cape George 31 Liveaboard

Hello - This is my first post after lurking for a good long while (and learning a great deal from all of you - thanks).

I'm in the process of narrowing down boats choices to liveaboard (just me, starting in the northeast, long and checkered career of racing dinghies to 55 footers with some cruising to boot).

One boat I'm really liking right now is the Cape George 31 and I'm wondering if there's anyone here with experience on a CG31 and living aboard.

Appreciate the help! Thanks in advance.
Theoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 12:35   #2

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Cape George 31 Liveaboard

Me

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 13:47   #3

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Alright, to answer your implied question, I have lived aboard Carina since 1992 and cruised her for about 17 years. She is a great sailing vessel, but a bit small for living aboard. It really depends on what you want: some people think anything less than 50' is too cramped while others prefer 30' or less.

There were about thirty 31's built, and most were owner completed (and all had layouts specific to the owner). The few that were finished by the yard are very desirable. The owner-completed ones vary a lot in both quality and layout; the best rival Cecil's boats but most are less polished, utilitarian boats. If not cared for they can deteriorate badly, although I don't know any of the 31's in that situation. Several 36's were allowed to rot before being completed. I know of a 40' currently for sale that was cruised for 20 years but was then allowed to rot and is now essentially worthless, beyond scrap value. So a good survey is imperative. And if you buy one you will need to keep up on the painting and caulking or risk a loss.

I don't mean to sound negative - these really are great boats. If you can find one with a layout you like and in good condition then it will be well worth considering. Just remember that any boat with a wooden deck and house is going to require a bit more maintenance than one with a molded deck and house, and failure to do so can result in expensive repairs/loss of value.

I'm happy to help if you want to continue here, PM, or phone call. Do you have a specific 31' in mind? The 31's don't come on the market very often.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 13:57   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I have hull #31 (to my knowledge the last one so far), but apart from the hull, mine bears no resemblance to the other CGs. In order to live aboard with a wife and three kids, I modified the cabin and deck layout significantly, and put a gaff rig on her. But I can say with regard to the hull that it's a very seakindly, dry design: tracks well, heaves-to easily, and achieves hull speed in relatively light winds. Lots of pics, blog, and descriptions on my website. Hoping to post a layout and sail plan soon--that is, as soon as I get around to it....
Old 24-06-2017, 03:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Theoden.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 05:19   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoden View Post
Hello - This is my first post after lurking for a good long while (and learning a great deal from all of you - thanks).

I'm in the process of narrowing down boats choices to liveaboard (just me, starting in the northeast, long and checkered career of racing dinghies to 55 footers with some cruising to boot).

One boat I'm really liking right now is the Cape George 31 and I'm wondering if there's anyone here with experience on a CG31 and living aboard.

Appreciate the help! Thanks in advance.
Take a look at (click on) Cruising with the Zartman Family
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 05:50   #7

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

Morris Leigh 30 - great cruiser, live aboard For sale in Connecticut. Two boat owner....
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1997.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	150547

Will listen to offers
Old 24-06-2017, 07:09   #8

All - many thanks and this is great.

Ben - I've been through parts of your site and would love to see a layout diagram. You've done so much and all with 3 kids on board. I can see why you want/need a 50 footer.

SvHyLyte - thanks for the link to Ben's site.

GordMay - thanks for the welcome

Chenega - I'll take a look. I'm in NYC and will be doing a trip up the CT coast next month to look at boats

Greg on Carina - thanks so much for the reality check. There are currently 2 CG31s listed on Yachtworld in Florida, both finished at the 'factory' - Gray Seal and Mahalo. I will follow up with more in a separate post.
Old 24-06-2017, 09:23   #9

I met this skipper at the Strictly Sail Chicago show (when it actually was strictly sail) several years ago - Modern Geographic | Adventure Sailing, Bluewater sailing and Sailing Instruction
Captain Paul Exner is the real deal, teaches on a Cape George 31, and will be 1 of the best resources on this boat.
Buckanear Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 17:44   #10

Greg -

I'm much more of a Pardey/Hiscock sailor/liveaboard than a Dashew liveaboard.

My goal is a boat I can singlehand without power and repair all equipment on my own. I want to be able to get home from work and go for a sail. I do not want a floating condo.

I'm used to living in small NYC apartments and outside of furniture, all my possessions probably fit in 4-5 dufflebags. I've been working on getting rid of stuff for a while.

I actually like the idea that the deck and interior are all wood and that maintenance doesn't worry me as long as there's no rot to start with. I've even entertained the idea of a wood boat.

I have a three year plan right now to be in Long Island Sound next year, and most likely Maine in 2019. 2020 will be the maritimes or the Chesapeake.

I do have a day job I need to keep but I will be transitioning it to remote work over the next two years.

I will follow up with you via DM on more specifics of your situation and challenges.

Thanks!
Old 24-06-2017, 17:45   #11

Buckanear Bill - Thanks - I will look up Captain Paul
Old 25-06-2017, 07:18   #12

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoden View Post
Hello - This is my first post after lurking for a good long while (and learning a great deal from all of you - thanks). I'm in the process of narrowing down boats choices to liveaboard ... One boat I'm really liking right now is the Cape George 31 and I'm wondering if there's anyone here with experience on a CG31 and living aboard. Appreciate the help! Thanks in advance.
Hi ! I sailed non stop for 3 years from Southampton UK to Vancouver BC on a C&N 31 footer & 6 metric tons, that looks a lot like your CG31. The full keel compact cruiser is an excellent choice among other thing 'cause of its carying capacity & when it comes to pay to take the Panama Canal or a berth in a marina it's only 31 feet We survived a December gale not far enough from the coast of Portugal, a westerly force 8 in the middle of the easterly trade belt (?) & months of offshore passages with no problem wathsoever...Cheers !

Remeber: ???
1986 Cape George 31 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
2000 Cape George 31 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QueneahGwen_05.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	395.0 KB
ID:	150624   Click image for larger version

Name:	QueneahGwen_11.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	109.6 KB