Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 10:50   #1

Boat: Goderich 35
Best mattress?

Hi folks,
Just sailing home from the North Channel on Lake Huron and have a request.
We need a new mattress / foam for our bed. We currently sleep on the cushions of the settee but there are too many cracks and the cushions always move. We are thinking of a piece of high quality foam (5'x6) to put on top of the cushions.
Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dean
DeanMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 15:54   #2

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: Best mattress?

We bought our mattress from Foam Factory they do custom work if needed. We've had ours for several years and at a fraction of the cost of Tempurpedic.

Welcome to Foam Factory
Old 05-07-2015, 16:04   #3

Boat: Oyster 53

Latex is superior to cheap foam in that it won't absorb water (yours or the ocean's), it does not allow any bugs or mites to live inside it which will crawl out at night and gnaw on your privates, and it has no odor. Finally, it is hypo-allergenic.

Naturally, it is more expensive than a "Home Depot" solution but considering you spend over a third of your life in bed it is worth the investment, in our view.

All our mattresses are custom-made latex and while they were not cheap we know they will last close to forever and won't give us any problems. I should point out we live aboard so for us it was more than a just-good-enough solution we were looking for.

Cheers.

Dhillen
Old 05-07-2015, 16:17   #4

Foam Factory has all the kinds of foam, including latex, and their prices and quality are excellent.

My suggestion would be to make the seat cushions as comfortable as possible, so that you need only a thin (1") mattress topper, or none at all. If the foam in your seat cushions is in a bad state, replace it with some of the high density stuff.

If they slide around, find a way to secure them.

The reason I suggest this is that you're going to find a 5" mattress topper hard to store, it'll be very bulky.

I replaced the foam in my salon cushions with 4" of HD50, 1" of HD36 glued on top, and 1" of batting. They're now very comfortable to sit or sleep on.

The V-berth has the same but with 1 inch of softer foam in place of the batting.
Old 05-07-2015, 18:40   #5

Try www.comfortcustombedding.com. OK not cheap, but if you are going to spend anytime on that mattress, it is worth it. They were quick and exactly what was needed. I just made a template of the bed, sent it off and within a week of them getting it arrived at my doorstep. I also ordered the custom fitted sheets to match the bed as well. Best investment I ever made! Sleeping like a baby now! Since I am essentially a live aboard, the mattress is of high importance to me.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Chris in destin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:44   #6

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

My steering controls and rudder post are below my aft bunk. One of my first projects, after buying the boat, was to cut the mattress into manageable segments.

I lift out a 2 x 3' piece to get to the hatch rather than fight the whole mattress.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:22   #7

We got a 10" foam mattress from Rocky Mountain Mattress company out of Salt Lake City. It was reasonably priced at $1000 and that included the custom cut for our boat and shipping. Arrived in 2 weeks from order date. I am really impressed with the product and they only do custom work for RV's and boats. I'm planning to write a review of their product on our travel blog in a few days if you are interested.
robert. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:59   #8

Boat: Columbia 36

Several years ago we had a latex foam mattress made for our vee berth at Jonathon Stevens in Grand Rapids, MI. That's a nation wide chain I think so they should be everywhere. I don't recall the cost but it wasn't too expensive.
I just have them a paper pattern to follow for the shape and it fit perfectly. That mattress was so comfortable that we had to get one for the house too.
When we later sold that boat the mattress was one of the things the buyer really liked. If it had been even close to fitting the new boat I would have kept it.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:01   #9

Before you spend a lot if money, see if one of these high quality foam toppers work. I got the 2.5" Lux foam. Rolls up. Breathes well in hot weather.. Doesn't need a cover. Cheap enougn to throw away..Astonishing improvement in cushion comfort.

The Foam Factory, Mattresses, Eggcrate Foam, Convoluted
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 06:05   #10

There are a lot of popular mattress brands in the market such as Casper, Tuft & Needle, Tulo, Olee Sleep, Classic Brands, Sweetnight, Linenspa, Modway Aveline, Night Therapy, Zinus, Purple, Signature Sleep, etc. You have to consider the firmness and comfort of the mattress before buying a new one. You should also consider the motion transfer feature while purchasing.
micheal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 06:26   #11

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

If you are spending real money, try before you buy. We had a mattress custom made for our asymmetrical v-berth with Handcraft Mattress Company. Their cheapest firm latex 6" mattress was our favorite when we tried it at the Annapolis Sailboat Show last year. The mattress was $1,390 plus $270 for a hinge, delivered.

We had a 16 year old inner spring mattress before this that we put a mattress topper on. I was never really happy with it. We liveaboard and this was a good investment for us.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 07:40   #12

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

See http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ss-221880.html

FWIW, I find the foams we've tried to be pretty hot... Still searching, but that's on hold for a while since my wallet has been leaking on other projects...

Absolute best (YMMV) looks like Handcraft Mattress System 5, but that's only theory... and they want an arm, a leg, your firstborn, and a good hunting dog for one...

-Chris
Old 15-10-2019, 15:25   #13

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

We had a Handcraft Mattress System mattress custom fit and installed for our V berth this year as we are moving aboard in the next month or so. Expensive for sure at just under $3K plus custom fitted sheets and cover. But I must say for a guy with back fusion surgery it is the best money I have spent well.....except for maybe all the other stuff......
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 20:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal36 View Post
There are a lot of popular mattress brands in the market such as Casper, Tuft & Needle, Tulo, Olee Sleep, Classic Brands, Sweetnight, Linenspa, Modway Aveline, Night Therapy, Zinus, Lucid, Purple, Signature Sleep, etc. You have to consider the firmness and comfort of the mattress before buying a new one. You should also consider the motion transfer feature while purchasing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG View Post
If you are spending real money, try before you buy. We had a mattress custom made for our asymmetrical v-berth with Handcraft Mattress Company. Their cheapest firm latex 6" mattress was our favorite when we tried it at the Annapolis Sailboat Show last year. The mattress was $1,390 plus $270 for a hinge, delivered.

We had a 16 year old inner spring mattress before this that we put a mattress topper on. I was never really happy with it. We liveaboard and this was a good investment for us.

Cheers, RickG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

FWIW, I find the foams we've tried to be pretty hot... Still searching, but that's on hold for a while since my wallet has been leaking on other projects...

Absolute best (YMMV) looks like Handcraft Mattress System 5, but that's only theory... and they want an arm, a leg, your firstborn, and a good hunting dog for one...

-Chris
Different people have different choices. Few prefer firm mattresses and few like soft mattresses. There are some special mattresses for the back pain patients. If you are a lightweight sleeper, you can use a soft mattress. For heavy people, the 12-14" thickness of the mattress is a good choice. I personally prefer medium-firm plush feel mattress. The King and Queen size mattresses are great for couples. The modern memory foam mattresses are the more comfortable beds.
micheal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 04:51   #15

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

-Chris