Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2015, 13:32   #1

Annual Maintenance Costs?

I am retiring in a few years and have been thinking about buying a boat or a class A motor home to live in. I am wondering what annual maintenance costs might run on a 40' power boat. Either the boat or motor home will be used.

Have any of you ever went from a boat to Class A motor home or the other way around? How do maintenance cost compare between the two if you have?

I live on the west Coast of Florida and plan on staying in the general area. I am not planning on doing a lot of cruising. Probably stay in one location for any where between 1 to 3 months. It is just me, my daughter will visit occassionaly and stay for a week or so.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Outtoseethesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 14:12   #2

Re: Annual Maintenance Costs???

I am a sailboat. But I have a friend with a 35 foot trawler who cruises up and down the East Coast either off-shore or on the ICW depending on weather. He thinks it's cheaper to go south and pay for fuel rather than stay north and pay for heating oil every winter. I also have an RV for those times when I need to get off the boat. My feeling is born out by my experience that the east coast is not a place to have an RV because you always have to pay rent and rent choose up your expenses. In my boat I can anchor out and not spend hardly any money at all particularly in places like Annapolis for other areas like that. On the other hand I have to haul my boat and do the bottom once every year or two which cost a couple of thousand dollars. In the western United States there are many places where you can stay in your RV for free. And I would look at a Kadey Krogan manatee. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
flagorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 15:12   #3

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtoseethesea View Post
I am retiring in a few years and have been thinking about buying a boat or a class A motor home to live in. I am wondering what annual maintenance costs might run on a 40' power boat. Either the boat or motor home will be used.

Have any of you ever went from a boat to Class A motor home or the other way around? How do maintenance cost compare between the two if you have?

I live on the west Coast of Florida and plan on staying in the general area. I am not planning on doing a lot of cruising. Probably stay in one location for any where between 1 to 3 months. It is just me, my daughter will visit occassionaly and stay for a week or so.

Dependent on condition of vessel, condition you want to maintain, unforeseen events and how much use for each system.

Somewhere north of a few thousand with no upper limit.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 16:16   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

You need to get more specific on the type of boat your interested in before you can even ballpark an annual expense.

For instance a Trawler with twin engines will cost more annually than one with a single engine.

Also don't forget berthing fees, which will run from $12-$20 per foot in Florida, plus electricity.

And finally the killer for some people... Insurance. When I was cruising, my insurance cost was about $2500 annually. When I parked the boat in Florida during hurricane season, the insurance rates went to $5000 annually.

Good Luck!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 16:23   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Trawler can be very inexpensive to own, compared to a big engined Sportfisherman, but may well cost more to buy.
As has been said what eats you alive with a motorhome is rent, OK fuel too if you actually move it much.
Yes, I've had a motorhome, a fifth wheel and now a sailboat, Fifth wheel was almost maintenance free, and the truck that pulled it very reliable and was much better to live in, Motorhome was better to travel in if it's a Diesel pusher, horrible to drive a gas engine single axle one though and more maintenance, boat I'm refitting so I have horrible bills now, but expect that to ease off when I'm done.
If you stay in marina's only then a boat may well cost more than it's land based cousins

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 17:09   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtoseethesea View Post

Assuming one buys a boat in reasonably good shape, figure, roughly, 10% to 12% of the cost of the boat per annum for every 3-4 years and then one year at 15% to 18% or so of the cost of the boat. The foregoing assumes you have some skills and do much of the maintenance, up-keep and needed repairs yourself. If you don't have the skills, or self discipline, you'll need a very large purse.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance