Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2019, 19:33   #16

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Air Conditioning

Have a new Seawind cat. They installed a Dometic 18K BTU air con with a Dometic circulating pump and a Dometic Smart Start II soft start. I can run it using a Honda 2200. It will not run with a Honda 2000. It is not wired thru the inverter. It's stand alone.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:14   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
... Would I be able to run a 12000 BTU or 16000 BTU air con off of a Honda 2000 or 2200?
Thanks!
A typical 16,000 Btu/H A/C draws about 18A (Run) @ 120V - so about 2160W. Typically air-con starting power is 3 times the amount of power to run the application.
It probably won’t start on a 2200W generator, even with a “soft Start” capacitor.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 05:07   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

I bet I could be cool enough at night with fans IF there was air flow through the boat. But this is Florida and there is always it seems 10-20% chance of rain so that means you have to chance leaving hatches open. I have a tarp sun shade I cut and fit that would keep most rain out of the hatches, but it's a pain to put up each day when moving about.

AC is the answer and there's going to be a Honda in the budget report soon
Old 13-05-2019, 06:22   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

A//C is must have if you want to survive the summer in tropical climates.
I hear and smell the people who claim they don't need air-conditioning in 90 degree heat, but it is usually a matter of not being able to afford the cost of installation. I refit my A/C last summer and installed two new 16,000 btu units on my boat. I have Frigomar inverter units that run flawlessly, and have variable speed compressors so the start up is around 2 amps and then they scroll up from there so no heavy start up load. When away from the dock I have a Northern Lights 8kw diesel generator. The temperature in my boat even on the hottest days is down around 70 degrees and I sleep at night with a down comforter to stay warm. I don't care how much the wind blows it is still hot as hell with no A/C.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 07:26   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I bet I could be cool enough at night with fans IF there was air flow through the boat. But this is Florida and there is always it seems 10-20% chance of rain so that means you have to chance leaving hatches open. I have a tarp sun shade I cut and fit that would keep most rain out of the hatches, but it's a pain to put up each day when moving about.

AC is the answer and there's going to be a Honda in the budget report soon

Having lived in the Panhandle of Fl for years, I can tell you that in the hottest months, there is little wind, so yes you may be OK with 15 kts of wind, but you won’t often get it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 14:08   #21
CLOD

Quote:
Air Conditioning :smit ten:: smitten::smitt en:

Can you feel me? And yes we have fans that can blow the 90+ degree air around. But air conditioning is just

Hey you know what?????

Air conditioning is a great thing
Old 19-05-2019, 19:49   #22

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Air Conditioning

Let’s not forget about dehydration. The first hurricane season we spent in Florida my wife became very ill and had to spend the night in the hospital due to severe dehydration brought on by just the heat and humidity. A/C is a great thing.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 21:32   #23

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

Without air conditioning - both heat and cooling - I’d be a single cruiser! My wife is a no go without it. That’s why we run the generator full time away from the dock. We like our comfort.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 05:48   #24

i spend most of my time on boat cruising from oceanic sea between australia and new zealand, air conditioning is the must thing to work on board, otherwise these is alot of turbulence problem on boat.
stephanie9766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 06:32   #25

For you generator on the deck aficionados. as you sleep peacefully in your cabin while your generator screams on Deck disturbing the rest of the Anchorage... just know if you show up in the Anchorage where I am trying to sleep, I am going to lasso it in the middle of the night and Pull It overboard
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 07:48   #26
CLOD

Yeah sure you are
Old 27-05-2019, 08:49   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Where he is headed I believe, the Panhandle of Fl. There is no end of the number of anchorages that you will have all to yourself. Some by beaches may have daytime boat traffic during the weekends, but that goes to zero well before dark.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 13:03   #28
CLOD

Quote:
Air Conditioning :smit ten:: smitten:

Can you feel me? And yes we have fans that can blow the 90+ degree air around. But air conditioning is just
After a month on a mooring, where it was hot and humid and where I kept having to run the generator (when it would run) to run the air conditioning to survive, I'm in a "slip" with electric.

That = air conditioning as long each day I feel like running it! And it is nice and quiet without the generator. And the cost is going to be less this month for the slip with electric than last month's mooring + fuel costs.

Air Conditioning is just so
Old 17-06-2019, 13:13   #29

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie9766 View Post
i spend most of my time on boat cruising from oceanic sea between australia and new zealand, air conditioning is the must thing to work on board, otherwise these is alot of turbulence problem on boat.
I would have though a good supply of warm jumpers more of a requirement in those waters.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 17:58   #30
CLOD

Quote:

Air Conditioning is just so
Yes, yes it is

Tags
air conditioning