Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2014, 05:33   #16

Re: Advice On College Son Living On Sailboat

I agree, I am going to get a boat anyway. May lose the wife, may be a good trade.
txjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 06:00   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Having a responsible person living on your boat with one payment instead of the payments for the slip and the apartment sounds economical. Living on the boat can be less of a distraction from educational endeavors than campus housing. Pump out can be minimal by location,- my boat is currently only 35 steps from the bath house! I have been to marinas without wifi, but most do.
Old 23-09-2014, 06:38   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

The key is finding a good marina and a good boat. Go marina and boat shopping. Active Captain is a decent source for marina reviews.

We always use the marina showers and such if we have the option and try to keep the boat in a condition we could cast off in 5 minutes and go 300 miles with no worries, (fresh water and fuel full and holding tanks empty) you never know when you will have to make a run for it.

Gary
Old 23-09-2014, 06:54   #19
cruiser

I think it's a great idea. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the slip prices in the area compared to other places. And places like Waterford, Watergate, etc. - are really nice with perfect amenities for living aboard.

And the v-berth is the perfect shape for the keg.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 07:00   #20

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

We live aboard in Seabrook, at Seabrook Marina. A 50 foot slip costs us $450 a month plus $75 per month liveaboard fee. This includes a wifi connection that, frankly, will not meet the needs of a college student. Electricity depends on the time of the year and how much the air conditioner runs. I would expect your costs to be less since you have a 40 foot boat.

Bathhouses and toilets are ashore and supply never-ending showers.

There are a lot of marinas on Clear Lake and most allow liveaboards. Many, like Seabrook, will tack on monthly fee to live aboard. In this area it will not be 50%, as someone else suggested. I would think you will be able to find something for less than $400, including the live aboard fee, with no problem.

Any other cautions or objections by other posters is strictly a matter of discussions between you and your son, your trust in him, and his maturity level.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 07:40   #21

Boat: C&C Newport 41

if you really look at the numbers... the only reason this is more expensive is because of the cost of the extra prophylactics.

dude is sure to get laid a bazillion times cuz... what is more ballah than living on a boat?!

i wish my son would move on the boat but he thought a 51' formosa was tiny where as i was organizing a square dance in that formosa.

-s
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat