Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2019, 20:35   #1

A/C on sail boats?

I was curious how rare is a/c on sailboats, been looking at used sailboats online and I find the vast majority of them don't list anything for cooling off the cabin of the boat. Is it just not a common thing to have on sailboats?

The reason i ask is i am doing my research on boats to possibly meet my lifestyle and i feel a/c is something that will be needed for the hot months in Florida. I currently work as a Registered Nurse at night, so typically sleep during the day, so trying to sleep in the heat of the day would be uncomfortable.
storx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 20:47   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: A/C on sail boats?

Pretty common on smaller boats (under 40-50') only installed "temporarily" for use only while "parked" in a marina running off shore power.

Permanently installed to be powered off a genset when cruising, only gets more common on larger / newer / more expensive boats.

Long before you get to superyachts, bog standard.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 20:47   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

They are power hogs but many have them. For what it sounds like you’re proposing find a portable unit that runs on shore power. If you do an off grid system, you’ll need to supplement your systems (batteries, cable, inverter, solar, wind, etc). Biggest problem with most boats is they are uninsulated, sun shades can help. Those that don’t go for AC in the tropics opt for designs with good ventilation (dorades, lots of portlights and multiple hatches)
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 21:31   #4

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Perfectly reasonable when you're in a marina. Whole different level of complicated when you're not connected to shore power -- pretty much you're going to need a generator running and sailors as a rule like having the engines switched off rather than on. And away from a marina the heat is usually less intense and fans/ventilation can solve much of the problem.

So yes, if you're going to be living aboard and have shore power then feel free to install it -- don't expect it to be there for you unless the boat is relatively new. I had to put mine in because my wife collapses if it's higher than 21/22 degrees, so it's an unfortunate requirement for us.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 21:54   #5

what type of systems are yall installing? I was only asking because when i search used boats, been searching 35+ ft, its rare i see one listing an a/c onboard. Are yall using like portable a/c units you can buy at like home depot? or something more marine based?
storx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 23:04   #6

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

There aren't any installers down here. I ordered a Webasto Blue cool 10 and fitted it myself. Not rocket science and you can get it exactly where you want. I wouldn't be interested in a portable system or some kind of half-solution. With the optional soft start it only pulls 7A on startup.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 23:11   #7

Very common...obviously you need shore power or a generator to run them (solar/battery are at best impractical).

Wouldn't consider a boat without air/con in the SE USA, even if just to cut the humidity.

Much easier to buy a boat with one already installed as it's often tough to run ducting on a small boat but make sure it works well and has vents to the sleeping quarters. Particularly during the day, many boats are poorly insulated and will require substantial BTU to cool. If you can focus the cooling on the sleeping quarters (by closing the other vents), it can often do a better job keeping you comfortable without needing to upsize the unit too much.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:55   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Installed marine AC on sailboats is reasonably common around here on the Chesapeake. Largely for use in marinas on shorepower.

In some cases, you might be seeing just a limit to how much info people put in their listings. They maybe don't list props, battery chargers, etc. either...

-Chris
Old 11-03-2019, 09:03   #9

Valhalla260 and I are ob the same page. 35 foot Cat. Shore power at dock. Put a quick start on the AC got handling the load on compressor start. 2500 kw gen that just fits in a locker. Light enough to haul up on deck just before sundown. The tank will run it about 7 hours. So fill it before bed. We curtain the main berth and close the door to the head. Vents in both places.

Lovely tropical breezes are still humid and can turn sticky. Gasoline is cheap compared to a grumbling wife. A good night's sleep and happy wife make sailing a lot more pleasant... and frequent.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:06   #10

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by storx View Post
what type of systems are yall installing? I was only asking because when i search used boats, been searching 35+ ft, its rare i see one listing an a/c onboard. Are yall using like portable a/c units you can buy at like home depot? or something more marine based?
Keep looking at yachtworld, sailboatlistimgs and boat trader, you will see plenty with a/c and if not a basic little 16,000btu unit is easy to install.

If you get that far and do need to install please do it right, especially if you have any intention to try to liveaboard at a marina, not a Home Depot window mount jury rigged over a hatch.

If you can’t find a liveaboard marina near your employment as a nurse you are going to cook at anchor in Florida in the summer. No two ways around it :-)

It’s called “creep.” You start looking for a 35 for 30k and “creep” up to 50’ (with A/C and gen) for 100k :-)
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:11   #11

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by storx View Post
I was curious how rare is a/c on sailboats, been looking at used sailboats online and I find the vast majority of them don't list anything for cooling off the cabin of the boat. Is it just not a common thing to have on sailboats?

The reason i ask is i am doing my research on boats to possibly meet my lifestyle and i feel a/c is something that will be needed for the hot months in Florida. I currently work as a Registered Nurse at night, so typically sleep during the day, so trying to sleep in the heat of the day would be uncomfortable.
I have two 16k marine units that run off generator or shore power. I don’t use them that often offshore but they are a game changer when at dock or anchor in south Florida.

Besides the cool, the dehumidifing is huge.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:30   #12

I have lived a total of 23+ years aboard and was living in a marina and in the working world. I have installed 2 Ocean Breeze 16k reverse heat and air and am currently installing one in my rebuilding of my 1972 Pearson 33. If you will be living in a marina, it makes sense. The typical window unit in compaionway works as does the AC mounted in main salon hatch. I have done both but the installed unit suits my life style. When my rebuild is completed and I do some cruising, it will be nice to plug and chill!
glcalahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:30   #13

Boat: Taswell 43

Whoa folkes...not so fast! Some of us on "smaller" boats do have, and use, them with regularly. We have a 16kBTU (for the saloon and fwd/guest suite) and a 12kBTU (for the mstrsuite) installed, and used. Depending on the wx and temp, we use them as needed. Yes, we have a 6.5kva genset installed, and yes, we use them at anchor/mooring and in the marina-where-ever the temp warrants it. When we lived/worked in the Philippines, they were in constant use. In the Medd, only occasionally. Here in the Caribb, it depends... BUT, they are installed in our "little" 43' monohull, and they do get used! Oh-and they are both reverse cycle, so they can heat as well as cool.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:41   #14

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

A/C and installed generators largely found on sailboats over 30'. If going smaller you need to install a canvas shade as well a get a room A/C unit mounted on the hatch. That will work well in the marina on shore power. I see many with that rig and the power fed directly from shore 115v socket bypassing the boat's electrical system. Seems to work ok but I prefer an installed heater/AC unit with a generator for use when not on shore power.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:16   #15

I would suspect under 40 feet in length that installed units less common. I used a portable unit for just one cabin. It was a pain to store it when you want to sail. They are heavy and need to be anchored well when underway down below. Had installed air conditioning on a 47 foot sailboat. Used it all the time while at Marina. I had genset and could use it while anchored or on a moorrng ball. I might use it to cool boat down for an hour before trying to sleep. While living aboard in a marina in Florida I wouldn't live without one !!! I would not live on boat without installed AC... just my preference
Going Gaugain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail