Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2007, 12:58   #16

Jim

I know they cost money, that was my original question; how much money at this particular marina. Anybody know?
Wilverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 13:07   #17

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1
I dont think anybody noticed that you had mentioned in the subject line that you were interested in Aqua Yacht Harbor? I know I didnt notice it. Where is Aqua Yacht Harbor? I thought you has said "locks" since the conversation was about the Ten-Tom and Charts for the Ten-Tom.

Is Aqua Yacht Harbor in the Ten-Tom?
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 13:11   #18

Aqua Yacht Harbor

The way I unserstand it, Aqua Yacht Harbor is on Pickwick Lake (part of Tennessee River) and is at the North entrance to the Tenn-Tom. Sorry for the confusion.
Wilverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 13:38   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I thought you has said "locks" since the conversation was about the Ten-Tom and Charts for the Ten-Tom.
For pleasure bioats I'm not aware of any lock any where that has a fee. That might be world wide, but I'm not that sure. Not that there might not be a cruising permit in some places. The Erie Canal used to have a permit fee but the locks are free.

All US Army Corps of Engineer locks are free. They take a big up front stance that recreation is a component to all their projects (they all cost a huge amount of money). Recreational boats do get LAST priority for locking and they don't allow you in with commercial vessels. You'll find them to be a very nice and helpful group or well paid federal employees.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 13:48   #20

On the locking through the Mississippi I found that I was locked in with commercial traffic all the time. But it wasn't a problem as the tow captains are a fine bunch and really try to be as helpful as possible.

I am have no knowledge about the marina he is looking for prices on. Never been up that way ......Yet. We will leave on or about June 1st headed that way and should pass thru Mobile bay in about three weeks from that date.

If I can ever get my Perkins fuel system bled....#8-(
Old 17-04-2007, 14:08   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I lived for ten years three blocks from Mississippi Lock and Dam No 1 (28 ft). They never let us in with the tugs. The commercial pilots are quite the bunch though. Amazing people with stories that don't end and exceptionally friendly. Anyone that would pilot 13 barges loaded, down a narrow river in the dark through 28 locks when it takes 1/2 mile to stop has to be living on the edge. Doing it in late November is not some place to learn how to be a deck hand.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 16:21   #22

Except for one occasion, every time I had to converse with a tow it was a plesant conversation. That one occasion was a guy that apparently had a lot on his mind and wasnt into talking to "pleasure boaters"

When I was locking through the "Industrial" Lock in New Orleans there was a tow going in ahead of me and the lock master told him to go to the starboard wall and me to go to port. I contacted the lock master and asked if that could be reversed as I had all my lines and fenders set up for the starboard wall and I was short handed(my wife was the only deck hand). Since the tow didnt tie, just used his engines it wouldnt make any difference to him. Both the tow and the lock masker came back with a very willing, "Sure thing Capn" and when we left the lock the tow Captin suggested that I go first so that his turbulence wouldnt beat me around too much.

Then down river at the Algiers lock the captain of the tow called ahead as we approached and he suggested to the lock master that the same arrangement be made there also and suggested that I be ahead in the lock so I could get out first. I didnt even have to ask.

All in all locking through the Mississippi that first time was a very pleasant experience and I had been really dreading it.
Old 14-09-2008, 10:05   #23

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41
TEN-TOM

HI WE R HAVING SOME OF SAME ISSUES. TEN-TOM STARTS A PICKWICK LAKE, WHERE MS.,ALA., AND TN. MEET. THERE R CHARTBOOKS AVAILABLE 4 THE TOMBIGBEE AND BLACK WARRIOR RIVERS, WHICH WILL GET U FROM PICKWICK 2 MOBILE. HOWEVER, I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE 2 GET ANYTHING ON TN. RIVER ITSELF, THE OLD CHARTS R OUT OF PRINT AND NEW ONES HAVE NOT BEEN PRINTED YET. U CAN CALL CORP OF ENGINEERS @ 615-251-5421. IF U GET ANYTHING ON TN.R., LET ME KNOW. GOOD LUCK
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote