Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2023, 07:40   #1

Boat: Hylas 49
Places to watch NYC July 4 fireworks?

We are planning to arrive by boat mid day on July 4.

Can we anchor below the Williamsburg Bridge? What about near the Statue of Liberty? Any place better? Are we nuts for even trying?

TIA!
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 07:58   #2

Re: Places to watch NYC July 4 fireworks?

You can anchor near the Statue of Liberty - just watch out for the white exclusion zone buoys. Easy to spot on a chart and during the daytime. I'm not intimately familiar with the area, but I do know there's shoaling south-west of the statue in some areas. It's on the charts.

I do not think you can or should anchor south of the Williamsburg Bridge. Even if technically possible during that time of year (not too close to where they set off the fireworks), that would be pretty wild with tides and traffic.

You can anchor many places in the "Upper Bay," but if you want a significant amount of stress reduction and do not mind being further from the show, consider anchoring somewhere in the Raritan bay, a good option is Sandy Hook near the Coast Guard station. It's pretty far but you'll still see the fireworks on a clear night.

NYC harbor gets crowded, especially during that time of year. Maybe not technical anchorages, but you can also anchor in many places in the Hudson. Just look at your charts and be extra mindful: there are a lot of things to consider in this high-traffic area, that should often be more than just a consideration; ferries, tunnels, cables, obstructions, and tides. Can you anchor above the Lincoln Tunnel? I don't know, I wouldn't!

We have anchored near the GWB before. That will be quieter. We anchored on the north side of the bridge, the west shore of the river, but I think you could anchor on the south side. Again, check your charts!
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 08:01   #3

Quick reference: https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@10&key=wrewFdkqbM
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 08:08   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Second the Statue of Liberty.

Get there early!

East River is deep with fast current and lots of commercial traffic (ferries). Possibly not the best anchoring.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc, work