Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 14:20   #1

Long Island Float Plan, 11/4 through 11/9

This is in a Cape Dory 27 with slightly tired wings an a 1-lunger. I'm single handing and have a crew of 2 dogs I like to try to get to shore.

So here is my plan for roughly a week of sailing that will get me to NJ. Each of -these represent where I plan to get to that evening. I am departing from Great Salt Pond, Block Island. Having sat for a great miserable week on Block getting the poop kicked out of me, I've decided that knowledge from others is a useful thing

Wednesday 11/4 - Stonington Harbor
Thursday 11/5 - Charles Island Anchorage ("the Gulf")
Backups; West Brook Harbor, Duck Island Roads, or Niantic Bay
Friday 11/6 - Lloyd Harbor
Backup; Cold Spring Harbor
Saturday 11/7 - Littleneck Bay or East Chester Bay
Backup; Hampstead Harbor
Stretch - East River Anchorage Area (if wind stops coming from the South)
Sunday 11/8 - Gowanus Flats Anchorage Area or Liberty Landing Marina
Monday 11/9 - Sandy Hook Anchorage / Atlantic Highlands Marina

With today's latest wind update, I am starting to worry that all of my anchorages are on the north shore. A lot have artificial/natural break waters for what I thought would be mostly westerly and rather light winds. It looks a little more southern than the predictions from yesterday, with a little extra extra in the way of speed. But what doesn't help is that I didn't see anything along the southern shore that looked like it would be any better (and there didn't seem to be as much either).

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm starting to think of changing from Stonington to somewhere in North Fork (because of wind direction) The reason I wanted to go to Stonington was mostly fuel and food. I've managed to get both here on Block now, so I can probably go for a pure anchorage if there is a great one elsewhere.

Thanks,
-AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 15:37   #2

Boat: 1983 Pearson 34
Re: Long Island Float Plan, 11/4 through 11/9

Time your trip down the East River with the tide. It's a quick ride. We motored because of the traffic. Mattituck and Port Jeff are protected. Port Jeff Has food. Northport is also protected. Duck Island in that harbor is a good hole to anchor, No amenities, but closer to the inlet to get in and out. Good Luck and have fun
JeffDPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 15:53   #3

Boat: Bristol 29.9

For south winds, as mentioned above Mattituck has excellent all-around protection. Northport, Oyster Bay, Port Jefferson, and Port Washington are all good stops.

If you want to stay on the Connecticut side, North Cove in Old Saybrook has good all-around protection, and you can walk to the grocery store. As for food in Stonington, if you’re talking about a grocery store be aware that there isn’t one in town. There is a bodega connected to a gas station within walking distance.

If you stage in Port Washington for the East River (free mooring balls for 48 hours and a dinghy dock in front of a Super Stop & Shop), you could absolutely make it to Sandy Hook/Atlantic Highlands in one day.
Old 02-11-2020, 17:14   #4

Boat: Sabre 34II

Manhasset Bay/Port Washington is my home port and you are welcome here, guests mooring are still available, pump-out dock is open however they shut off the water before the storm. I have made it to Sandy Hook from here in 1 go, you don't need to stop anywhere in between if you are fueled up. Roughly looking at the tide charts on 11/8 if you leave Manhasset bay between 12 and 1 pm you should be able to make it to Liberty anchorage by 5-6, winds are light on Sunday so you will just have to motor.

As Cthoops said Northport, Huntington, and Oyster Bay are also good options.

Btw, I will be going from Port Washington to Huntington on 11/7, don't forget to wave if we cross paths.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
Manhasset Bay/Port Washington is my home port and you are welcome here, guests mooring are still available, pump-out dock is open however they shut off the water before the storm. I have made it to Sandy Hook from here in 1 go, you don't need to stop anywhere in between if you are fueled up. Roughly looking at the tide charts on 11/8 if you leave Manhasset bay between 12 and 1 pm you should be able to make it to Liberty anchorage by 5-6, winds are light on Sunday so you will just have to motor.

As Cthoops said Northport, Huntington, and Oyster Bay are also good options.

Btw, I will be going from Port Washington to Huntington on 11/7, don't forget to wave if we cross paths.
Knotical,
I'm going through all the suggestions I have gotten here and trying to re-plan my trip through the sound. Monhasset bay with free mooring (which I think is from Port Washington) sounds great and it looks like there will be stores around for unexpected needs. I can't find a number (where someone picks up) to check on the moorings. It looks like I should be able to anchor even if it's winterized by the time I get there - but it would be nice to call and see if that is what I should expect.

FYI anyone, it looks like North Cove by Old Saybrook is either winterized or in the process - if it hasn't been yet it's probably only because of the weather.

Best,
AT
Old 03-11-2020, 07:14   #6

Windy is showing 10 ft seas in Block Island sound today with 35 kt winds right on your nose if you set a course for Watch Hill pass. Wed. the wind and seas do die down quite a bit.

I'd want to give it time to lay down a bit. Thursday might be a better day. JMHO
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Windy is showing 10 ft seas in Block Island sound today with 35 kt winds right on your nose if you set a course for Watch Hill pass. Wed. the wind and seas do die down quite a bit.

I'd want to give it time to lay down a bit. Thursday might be a better day. JMHO
Strange, when I look at Windy I see 2ft seas at 5 to 3 second periods tonight and tomorrow morning. It seems like it is saying the seas will calm down quick, but I don't have much experience of how quick they lay down around here. Thursday picks up again windwise (even late on Wednesday) So I am very keen to get into the sound ASAP on Wednesday (leave at like 4am I guess). The wind on Thursday worries me too.

I've only been to Block twice, but the waves were **** both times. I just don't think this area is flat, ever. Hopefully I don't end up getting the poo kicked out of me because following winds on Wednesday sound better than a beat on Thursday.

Thanks,
AT
Old 03-11-2020, 07:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
Strange, when I look at Windy I see 2ft seas at 5 to 3 second periods tonight and tomorrow morning. It seems like it is saying the seas will calm down quick,
I see the same, but I'm skeptical that seas will drop from 10ft to 2ft in 12 hours. I'm also overly conservative.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:53   #9

Any suggestions for somewhere to stop in the forks? It seems like Lake Montauk isn't that great a place - closest to block but I bet the wind howls there. Coecles looks like a potential anchorage (Cedar Island Cove) (I just confirmed that the nearby marina is closed). Greenport doesn't seem to be open - they at least are not answering the phone. If there aren't services in Greenport, it looks exposed for SW winds. Noyak or Shelter Island Sound look like potential anchorages also? Actually Three Mile Harbor is probably the best looking anchorage of them all...

- AT
Old 03-11-2020, 08:07   #10

Boat: Cal 33-2

I like the Watch Hill Passage coming back from Block. Shortest distance and well marked. An alternative to Stonington with good protection from the south is West Harbor on Fischers Island. On the LI side, Port Jeff is a good stop. Rather than Lloyd Harbor, consider Eatons Neck or Prices Bend.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:14   #11

Boat: Adams 45

You mentioned earlier the desire to call about Port Washington/Manhasset Bay. The moorings are run by Port Washington Water Taxi:
https://www.portwatertaxi.com/mooring-services
Phone: 516-767-1691 / 516-455-0411
Season is listed as through Nov 15. Great place and the owner is friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:22   #12

Boat: Beneteau 323

Three Mile Harbor (my home port) is fine, so is Coecles, both pretty well protected. A big issue for you at a lot of the places will be fuel availability. A lot of the marinas close down or run much shorter hours this time of year. Same with many of the restaurants, especially with the pandemic. Remember that when you go into the sound through Plum Gut you will need to carefully consider the tidal currents. Much like the East River, in a boat like yours (or mine) a current of a few knots on the nose slows you to almost nothing, a following current has you speed along. f you look at the tidal current charts in Eldridges you can see that you can play the currents a bit by being closer to or further from shore.
tweitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:57   #13

Boat: Pearson 34-2

I hope you are able to top up your fuel tank. I am pretty sure it is illegal to sail down the East River. I hope someone can verify this. Very strong tide, so you will need to time it well, which I am sure you already know. At least it will be warmer for you! Good luck!
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:08   #14

Boat: Cal 33-2

Pretty sure the Brewers/Safe Harbor marinas in Glen Cove and Port Washington are still selling fuel.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:17   #15

Boat: Sabre 34II

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjShap View Post
You mentioned earlier the desire to call about Port Washington/Manhasset Bay. The moorings are run by Port Washington Water Taxi:
https://www.portwatertaxi.com/mooring-services
Phone: 516-767-1691 / 516-455-0411
Season is listed as through Nov 15. Great place and the owner is friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.
This 👍
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, Long Island