Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2020, 11:37   #16

Boat: Tartan 37 #6
Re: Long Island Float Plan, 11/4 through 11/9

After you pass under the Verrazano bridge,Coney island creek is a snug little anchorage,maybe a bit sketchy going ashore,great kills harbor is ok with shore access
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 15:18   #17

Thank you all for the help, I wanted to let you know what I have found out.

1) Sea-incorp.com owns the marinas in Three Mile Harbor and they are still taking in people (but are closing down too!). The fuel dock is still running, and there is water there (or very near I forget). Peter reserved me a slip and Les the dock master has been nothing but helpful. This will be my first stop.

I was going to go from Three Mile to Port Jefferson, but at Les' strong suggestion I started calling into Mattituck and found that they are "open till Christmas". Hopefully I can call them tomorrow and get a slip reserved. Also noted is that I wasn't going to call anyone here as Navionics has the area in front of the Marina listed as 3 feet, but the man I spoke with assured me it's dredged to 6.

Then to Port Jefferson, Port Washington, and Gowanus flats or Sandy Hook.

Thank you all for your help thus far! Certainly making this adventure easier

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 16:20   #18

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

I found this very informative East River Cruising Guide. It is really worth a read.

https://www.offshoreblue.com/cruising/east-river.php
Having transited Hell's gate and the East River in a 30 ft sailboat/16 hp diesel several times I assure you that you should show this patch of water great respect.
I suggest motoring and in daylight only; trust me that the wind is not your friend anywhere along this passage. If something bad happens at night they won't find the pieces until morning. There is literally no place to tie up for most of this route.

Try not to get involved with the transit of larger vessels. The reflection of their wakes from the vertical walls at the shores makes it hard to hold course.
I could go on but the Cruising Guide covers it well.
Have a safe trip. Keep your camera out to document the transit.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 16:28   #19

Boat: Hunter 410

I've been sitting out the weather the past 2 days in Port jefferson, feeling your pain.

I greatly enjoyed both oyster Bay and Port Washington on my way out, planning to hit them up again heading west tomorrow.

Liberty anchorage is lovely except for the ferry wakes.

Let me know if you want to buddy boat part of the way. I'm about a day ahead of you on a similar route, but need to provision in Port Washington, so could work out nicely. I single-hand as well, so having a buddy boat could be fun!
Old 03-11-2020, 16:44   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebLostInSpace View Post
I've been sitting out the weather the past 2 days in Port jefferson, feeling your pain.

I greatly enjoyed both oyster Bay and Port Washington on my way out, planning to hit them up again heading west tomorrow.

Let me know if you want to buddy boat part of the way. I'm about a day ahead of you on a similar route, but need to provision in Port Washington, so could work out nicely. I single-hand as well, so having a buddy boat could be fun!
Jeb,

I would venture to guess that would be a yes.

He's just busy double-checking the tides for tomorrow...

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 16:53   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebLostInSpace View Post

Little wing is looking out for me I see! Yes I'd love to buddy boat if I can. If I can stick to my schedule port Washington is the 7th. Pm me and we can exchange info.

Thanks,
-AT
Old 03-11-2020, 16:54   #22

Boat: Columbia 50

I recommend NOT going for 3 mile Harbor. - great place, but wrong direction (big time suck). I do this trip a lot:

Block to fishers island west Harbor. Lake sure you time the race - on the outgoing 2+ kts against you
Fishers to Duck (short), Mattituck (medium) Port Jeff (long)
Depending on where you ended up:
Duck to port Jeff or sheffield island off Norwalk, mattituck to oyster bay, port Jeff to manhasset Harbor
From any, lay up in manhasset Harbor wait for appropriate current down the east river.

All of this easy anchorages. There is an app called east coast trip planner that’s excellent for timing the east river passage, costs $4.

It’s supposed to be nice and warm for the next bunch of days - very lucky

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:58   #23

Boat: Freedom 30

Make sure you call Dodson's Marina in Stonington. When I was in Watch Hill in august they were closed for all transient services due to COVID including Fuel. I just talked to them and they are starting to decommission for the season so if this is still your plan you need to call and try to make arrangements.
860-535-1507
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 14:40   #24

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred4936 View Post
I hope you are able to top up your fuel tank. I am pretty sure it is illegal to sail down the East River. I hope someone can verify this. Very strong tide, so you will need to time it well, which I am sure you already know. At least it will be warmer for you! Good luck!

Illegal to sail the East River, why?
Sailed through Hell Gate about a month ago. Would have continued, but the damn buildings blocked the wind.
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 14:48   #25

Boat: Adams 45

I don't know that it's illegal to sail the East River, but I would definitely want to have the engine available if possible. There are some narrow spots with potentially high currents and big vessels/tugs/tows. As you said, the buildings can block or shift the wind. Often traffic is surprisingly light, but not always.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 14:53   #26

Boat: Hunter 410

Hopefully it's not illegal to sail the East River, as I did it back in August. That said, it would take some quite lucky conditions to do it with no engine assistance at all. I had mine fired up to idle several times when the wind died off too much, so that I could react quickly if the current started pulling me somewhere I didn't want to be. I actually used it once for about 5 minutes when the wind died altogether around one of the bridges (I forget which one). I also had a reef set by the time I finished, with conditions changing and point of sail all over the place as the river wound around. Would not try it without crew, and would not try it without the option to fire up the engine. That all said, it was super fun and exciting to sail it in good weather.
Old 04-11-2020, 14:55   #27

So I went to three mile, I am there now. I fear I agree with the above that it was a time sink but right now docks are key. Being able to get the dogs to shore without having to assemble the dink, or strap it on deck, is paramount. I'm also nursing a hurt shoulder so that doesn't help. Next stop is mattituck. Wish me fair winds, I don't want to see a wind over tide situation ruin my day! I think I can make it by 3pm ish shooting plum gut at slack tide, then have a following tide with light winds on the nose for a while then near the end they will probably get to be enough that I will have to motor sail to keep a reasonable speed up. Hopefully the wave predictions of mold stay true!

Thanks,
AT
Old 14-11-2020, 05:56   #28

Boat: sloop 35'

There is an app called east coast trip planner that’s excellent for timing the east river passage, costs $4.
Just looked in google app s and don't see that.... Anyone know what this is? Is it an apple app?
rossny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 07:18   #29

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Not in the iOS App Store...
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 11:01   #30

Boat: Columbia 50

Sorry , seems to not be searchable by trip planner any more. I found it by searching tidal trip planner.....

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/east-c...s/id1079430088

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, Long Island