Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2007, 10:29   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Imperium Neptuni Regis

Today marks the anniversary of my second crossing of the equator, known as a Shellback, compliments of the US Navy. The first crossing was Oct. 13, 1971.

Do we have any other card carrying Shellback's aboard?

I've always wondered if one becomes a Shellback if they live below the equator and cross going north.

You guys down under would know how to answer that.

Another thing I've noticed about the world is most of the land mass is well above (North) the equator. So it seems NZ and the Southern tip of S. America are the arctic's of the Southern Hemisphere.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:32   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I've always wondered if one becomes a Shellback if they live below the equator and cross going north. "

Yarrrggghhhh....Considering they start out upside down, wouldn't that have to be a shellBELLY if they cross the other way? [g]
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 13:39   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
If I recall correctly I have made 10 crossings in grey funnel liners Might be 2 more, but we were playing around on the equator for a while so I have only counted that as a single event.

Done the artic circle a few times as well.

Dont count the tropics, crossed them far too many times.
Old 03-11-2007, 20:02   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Del,
I think we gathered a forum member named "Shellback" and we had this discussion but if we haven't then, "yes" emphatically I am a shellback (twice across) and not a slimey wog. Do you remember the "Royal Baby?"
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 22:00   #5

I remember having to kiss the Royal Baby's belly. Which was actually getting your nose smeared in a greasy belly button.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	royalbaby.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	2045  
Old 03-11-2007, 22:16   #6

John,

Did you have to line up to meet the Royal Family.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	royal_line.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	2046  
Old 04-11-2007, 01:01   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
Well it was 30 or so years ago, but I dont remember being as clean on a UK ship as your fellows look in those photos, and the materials that were used in the stuff slapped on us by Neptunes Retainers defie ddescription - foul doesnt come close! Most of us spent a very long time in the showers afterwards with lots of shampoo.

Unfortunately I dont have any photos.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:26   #8

Oh Yeah! The picture above was the start. Ya had to get your summons and go before Davy Jones.

Then you were run through the slop-shoots Which included rotten egg breakfast a bit of moly grease for the hair and prushen blueing for the officer's backs. Most of this took days to get off. Along with the line tenders with a bit of cut-off fire hose making sure you stayed in line.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	slopshoot.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	2048  
Old 04-11-2007, 10:51   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
In today's politically correct world I doubt whether the ceremony is conducted in the same fashion as when most of us older folks went to sea. Nowadays they probably have a little tea party and award ceremony where everyone claps politely. And of course it's Queen Neptune now.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:03   #10

Aloha Vasco,
That's funny!! LOL.

Del, How in the world do you still have photos of the ceremony after so many years?

Great memories. Our Royal Baby was much bigger!! Maybe it was the angle at which I was seeing him?

JohnL
Old 04-11-2007, 12:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Del, How in the world do you still have photos of the ceremony after so many years?
The Ex's didn't want them.
Old 04-11-2007, 15:15   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have crossed a number of times now. The first time was aboard the Training Ship Golden Bear of Cal Maritime Academy. When I crossed in 1982, we went through hell. Since then, a number of women have sued the Academy and the last I heard the ancient tradition has been made politically correct. I earned mine....and dished it out the next cruise!

I think you are right Vasco, they now probably do serve tea and crumpets and clap politely like at a golf tournament. It would be interesting to hear what the more "seasoned" Navy guys went through.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 16:59   #13

It's a shame that these essentially harmless traditions are being cast aside or swept under the carpet in the name of political correctness or eliminating discrimination. Funny, when I was at sea the old timers use to pine about the sailing ship days "when ships were made of wood and sailors were made of steel", so I guess going to sea has changed over the years and always will change. As an apprentice deck officer I endured all sorts of pranks and silly jokes; it was part of becoming a sailor. I got my name (Vasco) from the mate on the first ship I was on. He took one look at me when I boarded in my jeans and red nylon jacket (James Dean was big in those days) and dubbed me Vasco Da Gama, after saying that I'd never make a sailor as long as my a**hole pointed downwards. Great sense of humour those guys had.
Old 04-11-2007, 17:22   #14

Aloha Vasco,
Did you ever look for the "Sea Bats?" How about "Relative Bearing Grease?" In between learning how to cope with disasters and to fire guns we had a great time either being taught or teaching others to learn a little humility. All done in fun and never carried overboard to the point of actually causing physical or psychological damage. Chiefs initiations were much more severe and I had to officiate over many that could have turned bad.
I truly wish the newbies could experience what was done in the old days just to get a feel for it.
JohnL
Old 04-11-2007, 17:39   #15

The mate used to send to me to Bosun to ask for the keys to the keelson in heavy weather. Another time he sent me up the mast in about 30+ knots and real cold weather to signal a lighthouse using semaphore. They laughed their butts off. Hope you didn't have to look for the golden rivet!!!