Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2020, 13:31   #16

Re: Florida to Bimini boating lifestyle

Thank you all for your valuable input. This is why I joined and posted. I will expand my search to include Trawlers.
Todd U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 14:26   #17

Boat: Bluewater Tricabin 35

If you are planning to live aboard a 31 is kind if cramped. I would go older and bigger.
Bluwater49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 16:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd U View Post
Thank you all for your valuable input. This is why I joined and posted. I will expand my search to include Trawlers.
The post suggesting you look at Mainship is a good one. Reasonable price, fairly reasonable to sell if time comes, good owners group to help through inevitable issues, and a damn comfortable boat for the price.

FYI - I don't own one, don't know anyone who does. Just a fan from a distance.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 05:46   #19

I live the wrong boat selection daily
A weekender is just that , local , occasional use ,
Weekender most have IO inboard gas engines
On the average 1 MPG fuel burn ,
Expect too spend $ 400 a day , U WILL CRY AT FUEL DOCK
Majority of 30 footers have twin engines , Impossible too preform repairs
with engines in place , Easier too pull engines too change starters or
get too generator .
Designed for day or two journeys ,
Larger Yachts like Silvertons , Carvers , Mainships will offer comforts for
the journey
I keep asking brokers when viewing a particular Silverton , you say
economical 8 cylinder gas engines . Perfect boat too do the LOOP ?
How can gas engines be economical ?
Trawlers offer room , economical diesel engine/engines

When doing your search make sure there is room too work in engine room , able too get too wiring , external parts of engine , generator ,
fuel tanks, water tanks ,
Manufactures package every option into engine room never
considering somebody has too get too repair ,
Some boats floor has too be cut out too get too fuel tank
Many mechanics don't want too work on gas engines , OB or diesels is way too go .
If you will be dock queen nothing matters ,
Try too find 1 or 2 manufactures , models , Zero in
TODAY U HAVE OPTIONS , after purchase NONE

Good luck in your search
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 06:04   #20

Sound advice; Thank You
Old 26-02-2020, 06:08   #21

It's all about learning the weather patterns and how affect the gulf stream, for the most part. And, then using that knowledge to make a good crossing decision.

Rather than trying to find a boat that will cross in really snotty weather, just learn how the weather works and go when it's going to be a nice crossing.

We have a Bertram 42 motor yacht, that has the 42 sport fish hull. It will take seas and slop about as well as any 42 foot powerboat around, but we still do everything in our power to only cross when we see that "less than 2 feet" wave height prediction.

Remember, the whole point is to have fun. And, not many people I know, think bashing through steep 8 or 9 foot waves on the gulf stream, is fun.

Our rules:
1. Wait for good days. There is always a good crossing day coming. Wait for it.
2. Have a float plan and people who will alert the appropriate people if you don't show up.
3. Emergency location devices are not optional. EPIRB, PLB, Spot, InReach, Satphone. Cell phones don't cut it. And, a VHF.
4. Think what your plan would be if all of a sudden you find your boat taking on a lot of water when you are twenty miles away from land. You don't want to be treading water in the Gulf Stream, or even just floating in a life jacket, and heading toward England at three knots.
5. Think about buddy boating. Going over in groups of two or three boats, especially at first, takes a lot of the risk out.

It can be an easy trip. I've seen 16 foot aluminum john boats taken all the way to the Exumas. I saw two young guys in Kayaks at Staniel Cay, who had paddled over from Miami. I had a friend who loaded his 30 foot center console down with building supplies for his house in Guana Cay, then sat and waited in Miami for two weeks until he found a flat as a parking lot day, and then went across. There are lots of houseboats in the Bahamas that were brought over on good days.

What's the common dominator? On good days.

Now, as for fuel. Gas can be expensive, but all power boating is expensive, compared to sailing, in my experience of owning a lot of both (we burned more diesel bring our Bertram to our home from Kemah, Texas, than we did on our last two trips on our 42 40 hp diesel, sailboat, going to the Bahamas, combined). But, everything else being equal, diesel is cheaper. Here's the thing, too. You burn a lot of fuel getting there, for example, to the Exumas. But, once you're there, you really don't use much, other than with the generator, which is also a good thing to learn to live without. We have solar panels to run our Fridge. We can make it with that.

One of the coolest rigs I ever saw in the Bahamas (we almost bought the exact rig, but we didn't) was 39 foot Sea Ray Sundancer, with twin turbo charged diesels, and tons of solar panels on it. The couple told us they would quickly cruise to where ever they wanted to go in the Bahamas at up to 35 knots, paying a fuel price without at doubt, then just drop anchor, and live like a sailboater until they were ready to go home.

There are many ways to skin the cat. The important thing, is that the cat gets skinned!
Old 26-02-2020, 13:05   #22

Thank you Group 9, I have began searching for Sea Ray Sundancers as well; I cant seem to find any diesels, only twin outboards. The search continues!
Old 26-02-2020, 14:44   #23

I think the 3 brands mentioned by Al_B "Silvertons , Carvers , Mainships" will offer you a lot of comfortable boat for no more money than boats like a Sundancer.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, boat, boating, florida