Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 13:43   #1

Baltimore to Occoquan

Hi guys,

My first post! So I bought a Catalina 30 last week which is in Baltimore and I’m going to sail it to Occoquan in a few weeks. I was wondering how long that will take? I am new to sailing, at least my own boat, so I don’t know how far or fast these things can go. I have some friends who are experienced sailors who are helping me of course but they are all from the Great Lakes areas and are not familiar with time/distance of the Chesapeake.

From what I have heard up the Potomac is mostly motoring. My plan so far is to sail from Baltimore to Deale MD on the first day and then maybe Lookout the second? So that can be a weekend where my friends help. After that I can motor up on my own? These all might be bad ideas but looking to get help on the general plan. Thanks in advance!

-New Sailor
Gagman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 14:27   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Baltimore to Occoquan

Congrats on the new purchase.

Are you planning to marina hop or anchor out?

The water temps may go up into the lower 50s by the time you leave and if you decide to anchor out you most likely will still have the anchorages to yourself.

Depending when you leave Bmore, you could anchor in West/Rhode River. Not much in Deale unless you want to stay in the marina and your next anchorage or marina will be Solomons (Patuxent).
If you leave from Solomons then you will easily get up the Potomac the next day and anchor in one of the many rivers on the N side of the Potomac (they are deeper than the S in Va.). You should be able to sail well past Colonial Beach (or further) depending on the wind.

Gave you shorter legs to work w/the shorter daylight hours. The biggest difference you will need to consider are tides/currents which you typically don't have in the GL. This will be a place to get the timing right going thru the Bay bridge by Annapolis as you could be fighting a 1.5 kt current.
The other area to watch is coming around Pt. Lookout into the Potomac. Strong currents and opposing wind can kick it up there and slow progress.

Have fun moving your boat and hope the weather cooperates.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 14:58   #3

Thanks for your input Bill! Otherwise does this sound like an ok plan?

I plan to drop off/pick up in Deale and either anchor or rent a slip for the night depending on availability.

I wanna leave early as possible both days to get the most day light. So from what I gather it’ll be 3 days to the mouth of Occoquan? And Patuxent the end of the last day?

That is doable for me and my friends. It’s gonna be a new experience for all of us! Lol. Thanks for the help.
Gagman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 15:57   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Should be doable and obviously will be weather dependent.

Bmore to Deale to Solomons (Pax) to Occoquan. Pax to Occoquan will be your longest leg.

Bring good sleeping bags and possibly a Heater Buddy.

Have fun.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore