Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2011, 11:16   #1

First Offshore Passage: Portugal - Canaries

I bought a boat 4 months ago and after an interesting start by being detained by the police on the first day out of port, I spent 3 months getting it ready for my voyage around the world.

I left 8 days ago and arrived in the Canaries after 6 days, three days of which there was no wind. Solo sailing certainly had it's moments where I wished there was someone to take the helm while I fixed broken wind vanes or reefed a sail.

Coming into port, solo, with 30knts of wind was certainly an experience I was proud of.

I am in love with challenges sailing has to offer, the sleepless nights (although I never kept watch - debate for another day - AIS does all the work) and above all the people you meet along the way.

Now that I am in the canaries, I am amazed at the number of degenerated boats which have clearly parked up and decided never to leave, no plastic tubs, all wood, metal or concrete hulks long bleached by the sun.

Just wish I could speak Spanish, especially since the next stop will be S America.

Details and videos of the journey can be found Arrived in the Canaries .

High five to all those out there who inspired me to undertake this journey!
Old 31-03-2011, 12:29   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Re: First offshore passage Portugal - Canaries

Hehe! nice blog. I also got boarded by the (Belgian) authorities on my first day out Nightmares in uniform | svLibertalia.com
Old 31-03-2011, 18:29   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereBePirates View Post

(...)

I am in love with challenges sailing has to offer, the sleepless nights (although I never kept watch - debate for another day - AIS does all the work) and above all the people you meet along the way.

(...)
Expect rough awakening when you meet eye to eye with an UFO. They sort of tend not to be carrying AIS.

Do yourself a favour and learn some Spanish if you go to Latin America. They still speak some English (French or German too) here but much less so elsewhere, except for Panama perhaps.

Interesting what you said about Portuguese adventure. Did they really fine you? This would be something new, but not unlikely.

Hope you are enjoying La Graciosa. As the name has it, she is gracious!

Further down the road you will have a decent anchorage at Papagayo with an adjacent very good but not very cheap marina at Rubicon.

In LP you will find a decent and cheap anchorage as well as an inexpensive marina. Chandleries, provisions, etc.. Good spot to take off.

Beware of the lighthouses tax and once you pay your first share - keep the ticket! Otherwise you may be charged again in the next harbour (and it is quite a lot of money). You know the Spanish economy is not all that much happier today than the Portuguese one, hence similar methods.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:32   #4

I much prefer Corralejos on Fuerteventura a couple of miles from Lanzarote to Rubicon etc, one of the few natural harbours in the area - can be anchored as well.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:05   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: First Offshore Passage: Portugal - Canaries

Quote:
Interesting what you said about Portuguese adventure. Did they really fine you? This would be something new, but not unlikely.
Teh EU really needs to slap portugal about the head re yachts rules. They have the most outlandish over complicated and over teh top rules about private yachts. Really they need to get a life/

Dave
Old 02-04-2011, 04:05   #6

I have stayed in Callero (expensive 20eu a night), Araciffe (horrible anchorage), Carmen (they kicked me out! because the marina was not finished ).

On my way today to Rubicon or Corralejos today, heard great things about the latter - and it's free!

Yes, I was fined 250 EU for having out of date fire extinguishers. The boat at the time was Portugese registered, they can't touch other boats.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereBePirates View Post
I have stayed in Callero (expensive 20eu a night), Araciffe (horrible anchorage), Carmen (they kicked me out! because the marina was not finished ).

Yes, I was fined 250 EU for having out of date fire extinguishers. The boat at the time was Portugese registered, they can't touch other boats.
Don't bother with Rubicon, is all the same fake starbucks vibe. Corralejos feels much more like an organic little town. No showers in marina but can be anchored free. Make sure you stay outside the marked "harbour" zone, otherwise they may try and charge you (happened to a friend).

My boat is Belgian hence they got to have a crack, never going back there needless to say

Tags
Canaries, offshore, Portugal