Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2020, 08:13   #16

Boat: Beneteau 42cc
Re: Best route from Bayfield, WS to Charleston, SC

It really depends on how much of a hurry you are in. You can do Bayfield to the Chesapeake in less than a month if you turn your motor on often, and use the Erie Canal. It is a fun trip with lots of anchorages or free places to tie off for the night. budget $500 to take your mast down, and you can put it up for $50 if you want to use a Gin Pole. It is a fun trip, and I would personally never consider going south instead. It sounds like you know your options south of the Bay, so you know what you are up for. If you have time, it would be a shame not to enjoy the North Channel, Georgian Bay etc. along the way, but it all depends on if you are trying to move the boat fast or not. It is a pretty straight forward trip, and lots of fun.
cdcorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 12:52   #17

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcorl View Post
It really depends on how much of a hurry you are in. You can do Bayfield to the Chesapeake in less than a month if you turn your motor on often, and use the Erie Canal. It is a fun trip with lots of anchorages or free places to tie off for the night. budget $500 to take your mast down, and you can put it up for $50 if you want to use a Gin Pole. It is a fun trip, and I would personally never consider going south instead. It sounds like you know your options south of the Bay, so you know what you are up for. If you have time, it would be a shame not to enjoy the North Channel, Georgian Bay etc. along the way, but it all depends on if you are trying to move the boat fast or not. It is a pretty straight forward trip, and lots of fun.

I've been talking to the SO. I think I'll take April to do the crossing over to the canals and hitch a ride home. My son graduates HS at the end of May and leaves for the USAF in June. Not sure when in June. I'd like to spend May with him. If he has time, maybe he and the SO can join me for the trip through the canals to the coast. Once he's off, I can casually stroll down the east coast. The SO still has a while before she can give up work and cruise full time. I wanted the boat closer so I can make any changes or upgrades on the weekends. Once she is ready to hang up her apron and cruise. We plan to cruise the east coast and hopefully the islands south to SA, if the Covid-19 restrictions are lifted. Once we are use to the boat, We're hoping to do the Atlantic loop. Preferably with buddy boat(s). If things go well, we may conquer I mean cruise the world.
Old 19-08-2020, 13:02   #18

Boat: Beneteau 42cc

Don’t get too excited about April, a few years ago we were waiting to get through the Soo into Superior, and turned back because of the ice buildup in the locks. That was the first weekend in May, and we were the first pleasure boat to get through. April might work, but you can’t count on it.
cdcorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 13:30   #19

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

We staged our boat (Mason 44) in Marionette, WI on Lake Michigan when planning to be in Halifax June 1, 2010 instead of leaving it in Houghton, MI. It was a good plan because Superior was iced in through about half of June that year.

The point of the story is agreement with experience with cdcorl's post below. I would estimate ice to June once or twice or more per decade. So with your timeline, leaving April or May you may want to work on a contingency plan for getting out of Lake Superior.

Good luck on getting to SC. Don't rush it as the journey will be better than the destination.
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 13:43   #20

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Another thought on early departure...

We crossed from Houghton's Upper Entry to Isle Royale, about a 10 hr sail on July 4th 20 years ago. I think it was the coldest I had ever been. Winter jacket, ski had, gloves, and layered up along with a sleeping bag at the helm. I just couldn't get warm. And the crossing was during the day.

Surface water temp was probably 38 deg F that year.

So prepare for cold on that early crossing. I found the Mr. Heaters to be of comfort.
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 18:13   #21

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcorl View Post
Don’t get too excited about April, a few years ago we were waiting to get through the Soo into Superior, and turned back because of the ice buildup in the locks. That was the first weekend in May, and we were the first pleasure boat to get through. April might work, but you can’t count on it.
I agree. April is wishful thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
We staged our boat (Mason 44) in Marionette, WI on Lake Michigan when planning to be in Halifax June 1, 2010 instead of leaving it in Houghton, MI. It was a good plan because Superior was iced in through about half of June that year.

The point of the story is agreement with experience with cdcorl's post below. I would estimate ice to June once or twice or more per decade. So with your timeline, leaving April or May you may want to work on a contingency plan for getting out of Lake Superior.

Good luck on getting to SC. Don't rush it as the journey will be better than the destination.

Thanks. I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Another thought on early departure...

We crossed from Houghton's Upper Entry to Isle Royale, about a 10 hr sail on July 4th 20 years ago. I think it was the coldest I had ever been. Winter jacket, ski had, gloves, and layered up along with a sleeping bag at the helm. I just couldn't get warm. And the crossing was during the day.

Surface water temp was probably 38 deg F that year.

So prepare for cold on that early crossing. I found the Mr. Heaters to be of comfort.

The boat has spent most of it's like in the GL area and is thankfully equipped with a diesel heater right next to the dinette that converts to a full-size bed. Ahhhhh.

Tags
route