Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2020, 17:36   #1

Boat: Looking
Best route from Bayfield, WS to Charleston, SC

Pre-trip planning. This trip will take place around April or May 2021. After Spring melt has settled down.

Talking to some friends has confused me. I know there are/were some canal or river closures this year leading into/out of the great lakes region to the east or south. They suggested going around and running Miss. River to the Ten-Tom and down to the gulf. Then come around FL up to SC. I am a novice sailor. I will have an experienced captain onboard. I've never been on the Miss or Ten-Tom in a boat. I don't think that's a good river system to cut ones teeth on in a larger sail boat. My idea was to work through the great lakes, through the canal system, and pop out in NY. Then run outside to SC. I would anchor at night. I don't want to un-step the mast, but if I have, to I have to. The boat Specs are 40ft LOA, 55ft AD, 6ft draft. I will confirm these numbers while I'm getting the boat ready for the water.
Old 18-08-2020, 03:07   #2

Re: Best route from Bayfield, WS to Charleston, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Pre-trip planning. This trip will take place around April or May 2021. After Spring melt has settled down.

Talking to some friends has confused me. I know there are/were some canal or river closures this year leading into/out of the great lakes region to the east or south. They suggested going around and running Miss. River to the Ten-Tom and down to the gulf. Then come around FL up to SC. I am a novice sailor. I will have an experienced captain onboard. I've never been on the Miss or Ten-Tom in a boat. I don't think that's a good river system to cut ones teeth on in a larger sail boat. My idea was to work through the great lakes, through the canal system, and pop out in NY. Then run outside to SC. I would anchor at night. I don't want to un-step the mast, but if I have, to I have to. The boat Specs are 40ft LOA, 55ft AD, 6ft draft. I will confirm these numbers while I'm getting the boat ready for the water.
If you will have an experienced captain on board, the experienced captain will decide the route.

Ask her/him.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 03:08   #3

Oh, and you do have to unstep the mast for the Erie Canal.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 04:17   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I know you’ll have to unstep the mast for the Erie Canal, probably for the Mississippi route as well. Either way you won’t be sailing, so the mast doesn’t do any good. You can put it on deck, but it’s a hindrance, so some ship the mast to the exit port.

If you’re in no hurry, it’s worth enjoying the thousand islands area before returning to Oswego to enter the Erie Canal. In Oswego they can unstep and ship the mast, they do it all the time.

In this case you’d take the locks from Ontario CA into Lake Ontario. Or you can skip Lake Ontario and enter the Canal in buffalo. they too are adept at unstepping masts.

There are places to anchor along the Erie Canal route, though most boaters are in a hurry so tie up at the next lock to await morning opening. Some of the towns are quite nice.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 04:42   #5

Thanks LittleWing and Tatepare.

My idea was I would do the trip planning and hire captain would advise along the route. I need to learn better trip planning. I'm not used to dealing with life under sail. I've been a powerboat guy my entire life.
Old 18-08-2020, 10:28   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Running out side and anchoring at night? You would spend more time in and out than sailing to say nothing of running inlets.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 10:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Running out side and anchoring at night? You would spend more time in and out than sailing to say nothing of running inlets.
True. If we go that way, we may just stay out. Probably best. Definitely the fastest.
Old 18-08-2020, 11:18   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

That is a long trip. Considering the cost of a captain and the time involved it may be cheaper to truck it down. Check it out.

I did the trip from Chicago to the east coast many years ago. If you were doing it as a pleasure cruise there is a lot to see and do along the way.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 12:46   #9

Rather than hiring a captain sell the boat in Wisconsin and buy a new boat closer to or right in Charleston. Sounds like you are not at all familiar with this boat so this would be a shake down cruise for the boat and for you. Hiring a captain or shipping for that matter will be very very expensive, especially compared to basically swapping a boat.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 14:06   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Sailing south around Florida will add a week to the trip not including the trip down the river system. Sailing the Great Lakes to the Erie Canal and then outside to Charleston is a much more direct and time friendly way to go.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 15:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
That is a long trip. Considering the cost of a captain and the time involved it may be cheaper to truck it down. Check it out.

I did the trip from Chicago to the east coast many years ago. If you were doing it as a pleasure cruise there is a lot to see and do along the way.

Overland is around $10,000 to $12,000. I feel confident motoring, so I may use a hired captain for the outside portion of the trip and motor through the GL and through the canals. Would be a bummer if a good breeze is blowing. I hear that's common on the GLs. I could also break up the trip. The SO is still employed and our 17 year old son will be with us until June when he leaves for the USAF. I wouldn't have to rush through. Do a week or two here and there until we get back to Charleston before winter. It'll give me an idea what I may want to change or upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
Rather than hiring a captain sell the boat in Wisconsin and buy a new boat closer to or right in Charleston. Sounds like you are not at all familiar with this boat so this would be a shake down cruise for the boat and for you. Hiring a captain or shipping for that matter will be very very expensive, especially compared to basically swapping a boat.

I've been holding out for this boat. I'm sure that boat exists for you to. The deal isn't done yet but that is the back up plan. I'm pre-planning just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Sailing south around Florida will add a week to the trip not including the trip down the river system. Sailing the Great Lakes to the Erie Canal and then outside to Charleston is a much more direct and time friendly way to go.

Yeah, that's the way I want to go. I feel like that's the best route.
Old 18-08-2020, 16:52   #12

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We bought our catamaran last summer in lake Ontario. We dropped the mast and did the Oswego canal into the Erie canal, coming out in NYC.
It was a fun and very scenic trip that we really enjoyed. In fact we hope to reverse it next summer, provided the world returns to a somewhat normal state.
That trip will provide all the shakedown you need engine wise.
Going outside from NYC to Delaware bay is a whole different game. It's not necessarily difficult, but can change quickly. If you are unsure of your ability, a captain is a wise choice and a great way to gain experience and confidence.
Once in the Chesapeake it becomes easy again, all the way down the icw.
Good luck and have fun
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 19:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
We bought our catamaran last summer in lake Ontario. We dropped the mast and did the Oswego canal into the Erie canal, coming out in NYC.
It was a fun and very scenic trip that we really enjoyed. In fact we hope to reverse it next summer, provided the world returns to a somewhat normal state.
That trip will provide all the shakedown you need engine wise.
Going outside from NYC to Delaware bay is a whole different game. It's not necessarily difficult, but can change quickly. If you are unsure of your ability, a captain is a wise choice and a great way to gain experience and confidence.
Once in the Chesapeake it becomes easy again, all the way down the icw.
Good luck and have fun
Thanks for the tips.
Old 18-08-2020, 19:19   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Keeping a close eye on the weather, I'd be way happier going outside. You will make faster passages, can sail 24/7, there is little traffic, no bottom to run into and you can head inshore if weather looks like it will be a problem.

Found the ICW to be way way more difficult. The chances of running aground are highly likely so kedging off is something you want to practice and be ready to utilize at the drop of a hat and/or keep your tow insurance paid up. Someone will have to be on the helm for the entire time as you will find very few areas where you can use an autopilot. Running the ICW after dark is almost a guarantee of running aground so you will be limited to daylight voyaging which will extend the time for the trip. There will be overtaking and opposing traffic. Most of the time it will be a large power boat at maximum wake speed so be sure to stow everything securely.

Would recommend taking the Dismal Swamp just because it was surveyed by George Washington and a trip through history. You can sail on Pamilico sound before going outside again. Sailing on the outside around Cape Hatteras is no big thing as long as the weather cooperates which it usually does. Don't even think about doing it if there is a Bad weather low predicted. There will be ample warning of any weather so you can cut inside if something that you don't feel comfortable should turn up. Going south you need to stay relatively close to shore to take advantage of any counter current and out of the Gulf Stream. Don't need to hug the shore just stay out of the Stream which is well offshore.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 07:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Keeping a close eye on the weather, I'd be way happier going outside. You will make faster passages, can sail 24/7, there is little traffic, no bottom to run into and you can head inshore if weather looks like it will be a problem.

Found the ICW to be way way more difficult. The chances of running aground are highly likely so kedging off is something you want to practice and be ready to utilize at the drop of a hat and/or keep your tow insurance paid up. Someone will have to be on the helm for the entire time as you will find very few areas where you can use an autopilot. Running the ICW after dark is almost a guarantee of running aground so you will be limited to daylight voyaging which will extend the time for the trip. There will be overtaking and opposing traffic. Most of the time it will be a large power boat at maximum wake speed so be sure to stow everything securely.

Would recommend taking the Dismal Swamp just because it was surveyed by George Washington and a trip through history. You can sail on Pamilico sound before going outside again. Sailing on the outside around Cape Hatteras is no big thing as long as the weather cooperates which it usually does. Don't even think about doing it if there is a Bad weather low predicted. There will be ample warning of any weather so you can cut inside if something that you don't feel comfortable should turn up. Going south you need to stay relatively close to shore to take advantage of any counter current and out of the Gulf Stream. Don't need to hug the shore just stay out of the Stream which is well offshore.

Good points. I am somewhat familiar with the ICW below the Chesapeake. I'd rather go out side than deal with the issues of a 6ft draft.

The Great Dissmal Swap. I have wanted to travel that area since I heard about it back around '88-'89. Never have and don't know why. I have had the chance a couple times.

More good pointers.

Thanks. Absorbing your tips like a sponge.

Tags
route