Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2019, 03:55   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Working as a freelance translator from sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindre View Post
I was thinking of maybe having crew, so when on passage someone else can sail for a time while I am working. Or I might just have to do really long passages, like sailing over the Atlantic, once a year or something. Since I would have to take a break from translating during the passage.
You could work during a long passage once you get used to sailing and stop getting seasick if that is a problem.

The worst thing you can do if prone to seasickness is to take your eyes off the water which is why many recommend steering to avoid getting seasick. (you can look up the cause on line)

Being down below looking at a computer, looking at papers, or a book is the worst.

Once you overcome the seasickness though you will be fine with your boat on autopilot. I read, make notes, and am sometimes on my computer for hours while sailing all day

You productivity could be less though for various reasons

It will also depend on the weather and sea state. If really rough etc, you won't be able to get as much work done if any
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:37   #17

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

translating while underway...

i've done quite a lot of translating over the years..., and, am quite certain that, if i were to attempt to translate while underway, i would certainly turn a lighter shade of pale

wolfgal
Old 08-01-2020, 09:11   #18

Boat: Hunter 386

This guy does the narration for audio books. The coolest way to make money aboard I've seen to date. But they are just starting out so it remains to be seen if he will be successful long term.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:35   #19

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You are fooling yourself if you think you are going to do any serious land style work while on passage, cat or mono. Just plan to be away from work for the few times you will do long passages.
sI wrote much of a geography textbook while on passages between Cape Town and Grenada on a 45' monohull. I did much of it in the cockpit, leeward side using a laptop. I am not bothered by motion sickness and found it a good place to concentrate and think. We didn't have satellite internet so when I needed a statistic I just used a placeholder and looked up the data I needed when I got ashore. BTW, Ascension Island has (had) terrible internet. Surprising since it is such s busy communications hub.
Old 08-01-2020, 17:08   #20

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
sI wrote much of a geography textbook while on passages between Cape Town and Grenada on a 45' monohull. I did much of it in the cockpit, leeward side using a laptop. I am not bothered by motion sickness and found it a good place to concentrate and think. We didn't have satellite internet so when I needed a statistic I just used a placeholder and looked up the data I needed when I got ashore. BTW, Ascension Island has (had) terrible internet. Surprising since it is such s busy communications hub.
Yea, I've had some really nice passages too. The OP said he had to work and deliver without breaks. Far too many passages where that is not practical,
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 18:08   #21

90% of long range cruisers time is spent coastal cruising. That leaves you with typically good internet and modest boat motion while anchored or at dock.

As long as you can time your offshore passages to lulls in work load, shouldn't be a problem.

Unless it's translating audio from video, internet is already there. Particularly if you can download a large project prior to departing. Text files aren't that large, so even if you have time sensitive work and need to use satellite, it's possible. In a coastal setting cell coverage will typically be more than good enough.

Now if you have bad sea sickness issues...you probably won't stay cruising long anyway.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 23:39   #22

Location: Aboard currently New Zealand at last free from lockdown
Boat: Custom steel schooner 15m oa

For sure you could do it, but plan to do most of the work at anchor or in a marina.

For example, I was in Sardinia for a summer and had to move anchorage every week or so when the wind reversed. One anchorage was tricky because the cellphone signal (for broadband web access) was sensitive to precise location.

The sea was not always flat, but it was good for my core muscles

I spent 3 years in the Med writing marketing material and major consulting sales proposals for worldwide clients, with online sales presentations thrown in - plus daily conference calls with a client in Las Vegas. Plus, the deadlines were murder. The proposals were sent by me direct to Office Depot in the US for printing and binding. I also did some web development along the way.

Now I write books - I'm in control of my time and it's easier to do on passage.

You can do it - and probably find another niche along the way.
Old 23-10-2020, 01:59   #23
cruiser

I also have worked as a freelance translator for over 10 years. I communicated with people living in various time zones, and my work schedule had to be very flexible. Now I've been working in another sphere and even when I needed some translation service, I used help of https://pickwriters.com/transcription-services . Keep in mind that being self-employed is overwhelming, so it's important not to forget about proper rest. Therefore, I usually don’t work on weekends and try to spend more time with family and friends.
Sam8989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat