Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2023, 07:30   #1

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo
Who Pays Marina Bank Charges?

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone ell me / advise me on this? I booked a place at the Porto Montenegro for 6 months to winter our boat Sawasdeekat.

I transferred the fee, which was not a small amount I can tell you! and was amazed to get an email saying I owed them another 43 euros. They claimed that I needed to send more than the invoiced amount to cover their bank charges!!

As you can see by the exclamation marks I was more than a little surprised I should pay for their bank charges but wondered if this was more common that I first anticipated.

All comments appreciated
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:06   #2

Boat: Tartan T4400
Re: Who Pays Marina Bank Charges?

A lot of companies are charging fees to use credit cards or a funds transfer fee.
Old 06-10-2023, 11:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post

I transferred the fee, which was not a small amount I can tell you! and was amazed to get an email saying I owed them another 43 euros. They claimed that I needed to send more than the invoiced amount to cover their bank charges!!
NOTE: All of this is based on my experience in the US. Things may and probably are different from country to country.

Was this a wire transfer? Whenever I wire money, I have 2 choices, a Direct Wire, or going through an Automatic Clearing House (ACH). ACH usually takes several days to clear, but there are no or extremely low fees. A direct wire transfer typically comes with fees which are paid by the SENDER.

If you're method of choice to remit payment incurs a charge on the vendor's end, I think they have a right to pass that cost back to you again.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 14:13   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone ell me / advise me on this? I booked a place at the Porto Montenegro for 6 months to winter our boat Sawasdeekat.

As you can see by the exclamation marks I was more than a little surprised I should pay for their bank charges but wondered if this was more common that I first anticipated.

All comments appreciated

Pretty sure in this case YOU pay the van fee IF you plan to still stay there.

But fees aren't unusual. I pay a 1.5% to pay my monthly marina bill with a credit card
Old 08-10-2023, 03:40   #5

Boat: Admiral 40

How can you be responsible for a fee what you don't know about?

We have been working with several companies outside of the US that were paid with International Wire Transfer. Our bank charged fees (we paid), plus any fee that was reported during the transfer (a fee charged by the intermediary money was passing through) but if the receiver's bank charges to receive an incoming wire transfer we did not pay.

One vendor did whine about this, but since we were already covering the fees disclosed on the transfer and had NO idea how to verify what the vendor's banking fee was AND our fee payment did not indicate any other fees would be charged we did not pay.

By the way, our bank for these fees (Charles Schwab) would calculate the amount in US dollars (or a different currency if selected), show the fees and indicate how much would be transfered to the vendor at the end of the transaction. We know we paid enough on our end to cover the actual fee invoiced by the vendor.
Sailorlady2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 04:13   #6

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

All comments appreciated

DO NOT SENT ANOTHER 43 EUROS!

as the bank charge is either a % or flat fee.. so .. it could be that you need to send €86 or €43 + fee or ??? to make it right....

Or.. Show up, ensure all is good with your baby.. and get a cash receipt that you gave them the balance due... (or on pickup... ) They should be comfortable with that...
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 05:18   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

I think people need to understand who is in the drivers seat on this problem, it isn;t the OP.
Old 08-10-2023, 05:36   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think people need to understand who is in the drivers seat on this problem, it isn;t the OP.
Quite, fleecing the tourists seems to be a growing hobby in that part of the world. This one is their next door neighbours who have a lot more experience at it, from moorings to clearing in and out.

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote