Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2012, 05:45   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Which powerboat to cruise the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdj69 View Post

What is everybody's take on the 'fast' Trawlers (like the Beneteau and Mainship models)? I like the idea of being able to 20-25 knots to outrun weather ... or just get to my destination faster. I've read that the diesels on these boats were designed for both fast and slow speeds. I'd like to get all of you to weigh in...

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Fast trawlers are sort of tongue in cheek. Yes they can go fast, but to do so they require larger engines, usually turbo'd. The problem again is operating as a trawler the engines are undertaxed. They may have electronic engines with sequential turbos that can allow for more low speed operation, or they may be powered in such a way that running on a single engine allows for sufficient load to keep the engine happy while providing lower fuel consumption numbers......I don't know for sure. For my money, I'd go trawler for the living comfort, speed be dammed you're cruising

Forgot to add, as a general rule, faster boats usually have a less comfortable motion caused by bottom profiles. Slow is a hole in the water, fast is a rock on top of it.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 05:51   #17

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

You need something with a decent cruising range, good water capacity, adequate storage, and the ability to handle a decent sized dinghy. As well as being sturdy and seaworthy. Protected running gear is a must. Something like Cat Man Do's post is perfect!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 06:14   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla

Take a look at the Buzzards Bay Chris White power cat design:

http://www.mdcats.com

They can be semi-custom built.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 06:14   #19

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

msdj69 - As it happens, I do intend to stay anchored a fair amount.
Cotemar – Cats are like having your home at anchor. Very Sweet and panoramic.

msdj69 - What is everybody's take on the 'fast' Trawlers (like the Beneteau and Mainship models)?
Cotemar – Can only speak to Mainship 40. We have five at our dock and we cruise with them all the time. They are very rolly at anchor and top heavy. Used to think highly of them, now not so much.

msdj69 - I hear that dockage fees and maintenance-type tasks can be quite expensive for such a beamy boat. If memory serves me, the beam on that particular boat is 24ft. Opinions?
Cotemar – The Leopard beam is 24’ feet 10” inches. And you would have to most likely get and end slip which in most cases is not extra. We went from a Catalina 380 mono to a FP Mahe 36 cat at the same marina. They gave us an end slip at a slightly lower cost. My haul fee is less also, but my beam 20 feet, so yes at 24’ feet 10” inches I would thing you would have to shop around to get a good price.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 06:55   #20

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I'd go trawler for the living comfort, speed be dammed you're cruising
Agree
Speak to people who actually do miles in larger powered vessels (50ft +) and they tell you that average sea state usually dictates a slower speed, fuel economy and range certainly does.

That being the case why have big motors running slow when you can have small motors running at the right revs?

As an example, this cat has a 10 knot cruise because thats the speed thats best for the reasons mentioned before.

Sheer Khan has 2 x 8lxb Gardners putting out around 170hp each
Sher Khan
Old 29-03-2012, 07:22   #21

Boat: Carver 570

Great ideas from everyone (albeit cynical by some). ;-)

Ok, I think I have a handle on all of your opinions about the vessel. What about escaping hurricane season? Do you have a preferred method/route of 'escape'? I'll spend my summers at my home in TN. I assume that means mooring in the US ... but maybe not.

I understand from other forums that the hurricane box can be radically different is size depening on the insurance carrier. Do you have a preferred insurance carrier?

Looking for more great ideas...
msdj69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 07:40   #22

Community Sponsor

These people have treated me well.

International Marine Insurance Services
110 Channel Marker Way #200
Grasonville, Maryland 21638
USA

Phone: 410-827-3757 or
800-541-4647 toll free in USA & Canada
Fax: 410-827-3758
www.imis.pro
Old 29-03-2012, 07:48   #23

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Dont know enough about them yet but wouldn't peak torque usually be the best spot?
For mine that's 1600rpm out of 2600 rpm at full noise.

I specifically spoke to ZF about this and they said no real issue for the gearbox free wheeling a prop as there are no moving parts while engine is off (Hydraulic) especially how I plan to which will be 3 to 4 hours on one, then start up the second and shut down the first.

How would it be abusing the engine if it isn't running ?
Here's an example. My John Deere 4045, 80 HP normally-aspirated engine has a maximum RPM of 2500. Maximum torgue is at 1400 RPM at which the engine is loafing at less than 25% of maximum power. Even at 2000 RPM it is only at about 65% of max. power.

My point about abusing the engine concerned not running the engine hard enough for extended periods, not when shut down (although JD recommends operating the engine at least every couple of weeks.)
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 08:07   #24

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
My point about abusing the engine concerned not running the engine hard enough for extended periods, not when shut down (although JD recommends operating the engine at least every couple of weeks.)
When you have a two engine boat and run on only one engine you swop out the engines every few hours to maintain the same hours on both engines. 2000 RPM on a 150hp Cummins would not be considered abusive by any means.
Old 29-03-2012, 08:22   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Here's an example. My John Deere 4045, 80 HP normally-aspirated engine has a maximum RPM of 2500. Maximum torgue is at 1400 RPM at which the engine is loafing at less than 25% of maximum power. Even at 2000 RPM it is only at about 65% of max. power.

So ... it sounds like we have a consensus that 'Running your diesel engine at far less than maximum power is bad for the motor'. When I'm at a marina or boat show kicking tires, what questions do I need ask to come up with the answers I need (i.e. maximum RPM, maximum torque, etc)? How do I use these numbers (i.e. it's always bad to run at less than 25% for extended periods)?

I've already started a spreadsheet with make/model/fuel consumption and such. It sounds like this is an important component I need to include in the discovery process.
Old 29-03-2012, 08:27   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
These people have treated me well.

International Marine Insurance Services
110 Channel Marker Way #200
Grasonville, Maryland 21638
USA

Phone: 410-827-3757 or
800-541-4647 toll free in USA & Canada
Fax: 410-827-3758
www.imis.pro
Thanks much. I ran across them online recently. Good to hear someone has had a positive experience. I do have a few questions about them...

What does their hurricane box look like? I searched online and couldn't find it.

Have you had a claim with them yet? I've heard that getting money out of some of the carriers can be brutal.

Do you have experience with carriers I should NOT use?

I appreciate everybody giving their time to a newbie.
Old 29-03-2012, 08:43   #27

Community Sponsor

Quote:
So ... it sounds like we have a consensus that 'Running your diesel engine at far less than maximum power is bad for the motor'. When I'm at a marina or boat show kicking tires, what questions do I need ask to come up with the answers I need (i.e. maximum RPM, maximum torque, etc)? How do I use these numbers (i.e. it's always bad to run at less than 25% for extended periods)?

I've already started a spreadsheet with make/model/fuel consumption and such. It sounds like this is an important component I need to include in the discovery process.
Absolutely. Low RPM is bad for any engine. Not to long ago the norm was to be at anchor and idle your diesel for hours every day to charge the house batteries. Was not many options then. Just run your big hp engine when just a little 2000 watt Honda generator would have done the job. Now most cruisers are installing Solar and wind generators and we have piece & quite at the anchorages
Old 29-03-2012, 08:47   #28

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Don't know where your located but if you would like to do something along the lines of the vessel shown by Catmando, there are a bunch of X-fishing vessels with 6 cyl gardners still for sale in the BC area of Canada,really the west coast of canada. Both wood steel and Glass, Some real good buys there if you want something like this also some fine workmen in this area who could do a job like he showed in his post ! I know if I had the time I sure would take a look ! but I don't have the time to start a job like this at my age ! But would love a trawler like the one shown my Catmando !! sweet LRC cruiser just my 2 cents !!
Old 29-03-2012, 08:48   #29

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks much. I ran across them online recently. Good to hear someone has had a positive experience. I do have a few questions about them...

What does their hurricane box look like? I searched online and couldn't find it.

Have you had a claim with them yet? I've heard that getting money out of some of the carriers can be brutal.

Do you have experience with carriers I should NOT use?

I appreciate everybody giving their time to a newbie.
I would call them with all of your questions.
They answered all of mine by e-mail.
I have never made a claim. Was surprised that after a few years with them that they actually lowered my premium which never happens.
Old 29-03-2012, 08:56   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
I would call them with all of your questions.
They answered all of mine by e-mail.
I have never made a claim. Was surprised that after a few years with them that they actually lowered my premium which never happens.
Will do. Thanks again for your help.

Tags
Caribbean, cruise, caribbean