Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2019, 13:06   #1

Boat: Catalina Capri 14.2
What to do for college...

Hi all,

I'm currently 16 years old and living in Lewes, Delaware on the Delaware Bay. I've been sailing since age 10 and got a 1992 Catalina 14.2 for my birthday last year. I know I want to sail as soon as possible and live aboard. I want to set myself up to sail the world one day and came to the forum for advice on how to do it. Just looking for ideas on what to get a degree in a where to tour this spring or even what any liveaboards did for college. Really excited to get out of high school and experience the world!

Thanks,
Jake Mundok
Jake Mundok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 13:13   #2

Re: What to do for college...

Go to college. keep the Catalina 14.2. Sail in your free time in the summer. Go to college before planning how you think you're going to spend your time there.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 13:15   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

Don't spend money on a degree you don't really need or want. Find a trade that interests you and get ticketed. You can work virtually anywhere, pay is good and you make money while earning it rather than losing it. If you decide to advance past that (P.Eng/Arch in a variety of fields) you will have valuable first hand knowledge and experience most P.Eng seriously lack. If you take up carpentry or electrical for instance, you can eventually complete your Arch/P.Eng for either and become more specialized for boats if you decide to (shipwright/Marine Elec or Naval Arch etc). Don't take this that school/education is bad or not warranted; spend money on school when you know where its taking you.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 14:19   #4

Boat: Passport 40

I'm currently an undergraduate. Go to college. It's worth it.

Many colleges have dinghy sailing teams (many club, some varsity), some have keelboat teams, and a lucky few have offshore racing teams. Sailboat racing is the best way to sharpen your boat handling skills and get the competitive juices flowing. If sailing is truly important to you then you should consider a school that has one of these teams - it's an incredible experience that is hard to find outside of the collegiate circuit.
Mediator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 14:23   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator View Post
I'm currently an undergraduate. Go to college. It's worth it.
Only go if you can afford it or plan to train for one of the higher paying jobs otherwise you could spend half your life paying off student loans.

Another option is the military where they train you in tech jobs for free. I did both... tech training in the military, liberal arts Division 1 University (GI Bill)

All else fails you could get a navy job driving small boats. The boats that deliver the seals are like stealth power boats

http://www.hisutton.com/World%20surv...s%20Craft.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 14:32   #6

Boat: Passport 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Another option is the military where they train you in tech jobs for free. I did both... tech training in the military, liberal arts Division 1 University (GI Bill)
The Naval and Coast Guard Academies have some excellent programs... and excellent sailing teams.
Mediator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 15:27   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi Jake and welcome to CF.

You will probably get a whole range of good ideas from boaters who are imparting on you, options that would work or did work for them.

The important bit is what works for YOU!

What makes you excited and challenged, what makes you happy? Then you will know what education you need to attain to make money doing it.

Unless of course, your a Trust fund baby and then we all know you're already screwed![emoji1]

Whatever path you take, apply it in earnest and you will succeed. A higher education in any field sharpens your ability to problem solve and communicate when at sea

In my case at your age I was fascinated by the way people think.
So I majored in Psychology and Philosophy, switched to Marine Biology then ran away to sea both on yachts and commercial ships.

Returned to Vancouver and went thru marine college, got all the commercial licenses and heavy tonnage experiences, but stayed involved in the yacht business because I just love water sports and teaching others how to do them.

That eventually led to courses in marine architecture and a successful career as Owner's Rep, project manager and captain for the design, build and operation of the Top super yachts of this world.

I got to be mentored by some of the worlds most successful businessmen, who had followed their own path with incredible focuss. (My job was to help them relax on their yachts with family, while taking them on magical mystery tours)

My point...?
You never stop learning once you find the right path for the right reasons

Good luck on your journey!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 15:53   #8

Quote:
The Naval and Coast Guard Academies have some excellent programs... and excellent sailing teams.
Yep, and I got to observe at least one navy sailing team boat this past Spring during the Annapolis- Bermuda Race.

I saw them on day 2 after they had made it to the lower Chesapeake Bay after sailing all night at about 8 am tacking down the bay against the wind which was a bit unusual to see since most cruisers motor into the wind

I didn't know it was a race or a racing boat at first as I sailed across their fleet

There were four Navy 44's in last years race

The one I saw I believe won on handicap

https://www.usna.edu/Sailing/lectures/navy44.php
Old 19-02-2019, 16:51   #9

I love sailing.

I love it even more as an educated adult. There are many ways to get an education, but college helps you build a mental structure from which to hang all of your future experiences, and gives you some time to focus on your studies, as well as spending some time with other people who are at that same stage in life.

I'd prioritize the education more than the sailing right now. Sailing is something you can do your whole life, but there is a particular time in your life where education is a LOT easier, and that's where you are right now. There's nothing that says you can't go to a school near a major body of water, or even one with a competitive sailing team.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 16:57   #10

Boat: never mind...

Quote:
As well as the Merchant Marine Academy.
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 17:02   #11

Like some other people have mentioned, check out the Naval Academy.

Your grades will need to be top notch, but it's free (well, apart from a little commitment), and the education is stellar. Also in Annapolis, which is a great place to sail.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 17:03   #12

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Webb Institute on Long Island. Free tuition.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 17:21   #13

If you are just interested in sailing and a college education, the Naval Academy is a bit of a stretch unless you are really into the military thing. It isn't for every one especially when you think about what you are actually training to do
Old 19-02-2019, 17:29   #14

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Jake, Welcome to the forum.

Email Captain Lauren of the Kalmar Nyckel for her perspectives. Then join the crew while the boat is in Lewes during the summer. Tell her Brent sent you.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 17:34   #15
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

choose a college near popular sailing waters.

live on the boat and fix it up while studying

put the rent you save toward reducing that huge tuition debt load

don't waste time / money / attention partying (too much)

find romantic partners that love sailing with you
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote